Word of the Day, February 20, 2014, Proverbs 18:24

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, February 20, 2014, Proverbs 18:24

Postby timf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 am

Word of the Day, February 20, 2014

" I'll praise You in this storm. And I will lift my hands. For You are who You are. No matter where I am. Every tear I've cried. You hold in Your hand. You never left my side. And though my heart is torn. I will praise You in this storm ”

Proverbs 18:24

24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

This seems like a easy verse to understand. I believe it is in two parts. We must show ourselves friendly to our friends, strangers and people that we would like to be friends with and the second part I believe is there is a friend, Jesus Christ that sticketh closer than anybody can.

Pastor Grace once spoke a sermon on this verse. I’ll never forget it. He spoke about true friendship. It is hard to have lots of true friendships and that you are truly blessed to have a few true friends in life. Friendship is not a one way path, both people have to love, give of themselves and be there in the good and bad times.

This is what my Bible says as a foot note for this verse: " A man that hath friends must show himself friendly may also be translated, “ A man of many friends comes to ruin.” In other words, a man must not spread himself too thin among many superficial relationships. Far better is it to have genuine friends who become like family and love at all times.”

Friendships can be hard at times. Sometimes someone is giving more than the other person and someone gets hurt or upset. We are to love our friends like Christ does us. That may mean telling your friend that they are doing something destructive or you many need and accept the same thing back from a loving friend.

I’ve been a salesman my whole life so for me, it is easy to talk to anybody and about anything. It may start with a simple hello, how are you today or what a beautiful day it is today. If you are new to a group, business or church, don’t wait for everybody to come to you, you start by saying “ good morning, I’m Tim.” Rejection does not bother me because if you in sales, you get used to it. Try it today.

The second part of this verse is that there is no friend that can be like our Saviour Jesus Christ. Speak to Him like you would a friend, share with Him, get to know Him and you will see Him, the perfect friend that loves you always, willing to teach us how we are to live our life, carry us out of the bad times and rejoice with us in the good times. Don’t hide your faults with Jesus or your earthly friends. Reach out to both today. Be the love of Christ to your friends today.

If you are not an outgoing person, pray first, ask for guidance and reach out to someone today and say, “ Good Morning. How are you today?” A simple hello can start the opportunity to show someone Christ today. If you are an outgoing person, do it twice as much today and show them the peace, joy, love and grace that can only come from our LORD and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Christ Jesus will never forsake those that trust in and loves Him. We need to be the same to our friends and others in the name of Jesus Christ.

“ Come however you are. Come with all your heart breaks. Come with all the mistakes you've made. Lay them down at the cross. Give them to the God who loves you. Hurt, scared, falling apart. Come however you are.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality