Word of the Day, February 21, 2014, Acts 17:22-23

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, February 21, 2014, Acts 17:22-23

Postby timf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 am

Word of the Day, February 21, 2014

" Holy, Holy, Holy. Is the Lord God Almighty. Who was, and is, and is to come. With all creation I sing: Praise to the King of Kings! You are my everything, And I will adore You…! ”

Acts 17:22-23

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

I believe that if Paul was alive today on earth, that he could still say the same thing anywhere throughout the world. We have so many things that we make our God today. Some facts that are very interesting about man’s religion. About 1 billion people do not profess belief in any religion: There are 21 major religions today. Christianity, Islam, Secular/Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheist, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, Primal indigenous, African traditional, Sikhism, Juche, Spiritism, Judaism, Bahá'í Faith, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Neopaganism, Unitarian Universalism, and Rastafari movement. The internet says that there are really over 42000 different types of what man calls religions. In Christianity there are over 30,000 different denominations.

How about fortune tellers, palm readers, horoscopes, psychics, tarot card readers, good luck charms and believing in luck all are part of the unknown gods that Paul was talking about. Paul called them babblers. Paul will and did declared the one and only true God to them later in the chapter. Many mocked Paul and some ask to hear more about Christ. Not much different from today.

What I like about this chapter and Paul’s sermon from Mars Hill is that he started out with a general comment about their superstitious and denoted that he saw a sign that said “To the unknown God” and then he starts to share the love of Christ to them. Paul tells them that it is God that has made the world and all things in it, not mother earth. We are not to worship to man’s hands but the hands of God. Paul tells them that they should seek the LORD and that is still true today. Seek and ye shall find! Peace, joy, love and grace from Christ our Saviour and not from men or false gods. Paul tells to repent because God has appointed a day for judgment for all.

Paul had some people become saved and as I said early, many mocked him. This is how it is still today. We need to reach out one at a time to the lost and show them the grace of Jesus Christ. Try speaking to some one today about Christ Jesus and how he has changed your life.

Remember to get to a good Bible preaching church that preaches the true word of God. Ask someone to go with you and let them hear the word of God. Show Christ to them through you! Have a blessed weekend!

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality