Word of the Day, February 24, 2014, I Thess 1:1-10

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, February 24, 2014, I Thess 1:1-10

Postby timf » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 am

Word of the Day, February 24, 2014

" Let them see You in me let them hear You when I speak. Let them feel You when I sing. Let them see You, let them see You in me ”

I Thessalonians 1:1-10

1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;

3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

4 Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.

5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

7 So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia.

8 For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing.

9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Today we are going to do the chapter of the day instead of the Word of the Day. : >) Hope that is ok with you. Paul is writing to the church of Thessalonians and mentions his travel companions Silvanus and Timotheus and that they are praying for the Thessalonians and that the LORD Jesus Christ grace be unto you and peace from God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ. I know that feeling of someone praying for me, for peace, love, joy and the grace of Jesus Christ to be upon you.

Back in the days of Paul, a church did not always mean a building but a group of saved and baptized believers together. It is also applies to all believers in Christ. Paul gave thanks to God for you all and always making mention of the Thessalonians. Paul was telling them to remember them turning to God and away from idols.

Knowing your election. Paul knew his own assurance of the gospel and the effectiveness of his ministry produced by the Holy Ghost. His desire was to remind them of their election of God.

The gospel, meaning the good news, the most important message of the Scripture. The gospel is both a proposition and a person. As a proposition, it embraces the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. But the gospel is also a person-the person of the LORD Jesus Christ. To be saved we must believe the gospel. This requires that we both receive the person of Christ as our saviour and trust in His death, burial and the resurrection to save us from sin

Follows, meaning imitators of the followers of the the Word. We may have much affliction, yet with much joy inspired by the Holy Ghost..

The greek word tupos is here rendered examples. Having become imitators of Christ, the Thessalonians are examples for other people to emulate or live by their example of Christ in their lives and that they joyfully received the gospel even among persecutions.

The faith of the Thessalonians was used as examples throughout Macedonia, Achaia and the world. Their faith was shown publicly, they shared the gospel. That is a good example that maybe we should do also.

Ye turned describes their conversion which was both positive to God and negative to their old idols. To serve God as a servant is a privilege.

To wait with expectation, looking ahead in faith, for the fulfillment of Christ’s promise to return for the saints. The wrath to come is the Great Tribulation for everyone that does not know Christ. Those that know Christ, the saints of the church will be delivered from this wrath.

“ You've become my heart's desire. And I will sing your praises higher. Cause your love sets me free. Your love sets me free. Your love sets me free.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality