Word of the Day, April 1, 2014, Jude 16-20

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, April 1, 2014, Jude 16-20

Postby timf » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 am

Word of the Day, April 1, 2014

" We were sinners - so unworthy. Still for us He chose to die. Filled us with His Holy Spirit. Now we can stand and testify that His love is everlasting and His mercies - they will never end.”

Jude 16-20

16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.

Ever talk with someone that all they do is complain? I have done that at times myself. This is a sinful walk, arrogant and blasphemy and does nothing for our relationship with God. Do we ever try to flatter someone to get what we want? But as Jude writes, we are to remember and recall apostolic and Christ’s teachings.

Jude is recalling the previous warnings from Paul, Timothy, Peter and other apostles as they spoke of false preaching and false doctrines.

Acts 20:29 says ” For I know this, that after my departing shall the grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.”

2 Timothy 3:1-9, “ This I know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.”

2 Peter 3:3 states “ Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lust.”

Jude speaks in verse 19 about these false teachers, scoffers that they will try to separate us from the doctrines of Christ. They will cause divisions among believers. The sad thing is this did and will come from within the church. We need to have spiritual growth daily. We need to be in the word daily not to fall from the doctrines of our LORD and Saviour. I believe that the correct way to handle error is not to just pull away from error but to also build up that which is right, especially clinging to God’s word and to God in prayers.

Jude tells us to be praying to the Holy Ghost. We are to “ praying in the Holy Ghost ” means to pray in the power and strength of the Holy Spirit. He prays for us, opens our mind to Jesus and teaches us about our LORD. Reach out to the Holy Spirit in your daily prayers.

I believe that Jude is writing to his readers and even us today and saying, in the face of pressure to dilute pure Christian doctrine and that they are to stand firm and to earnestly contend for the faith.

“ I will trust in You. You've never failed before, I will trust in You.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality