Word of the Day, April 14, 2014, Isaiah 48:12

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, April 14, 2014, Isaiah 48:12

Postby timf » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:04 am

Word of the Day, April 14, 2014

" Never once did we ever walk alone. Never once did You leave us on our own. You are faithful, God, You are faithful. You are faithful, God, You are faithful.”

Isaiah 48:12

2 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last

The people of Judah felt safe and secure because they lived in Jerusalem, the city with God’s temple. The Jewish people depended on their heritage, their law, their traditions, their city and their temple, but this was a false sense of security because they did not depend on God. Do we feel secure because we go to church, live in America because it is a Christian country? It is not heritage, religions, armies, or governments, but only God that we can depend on and trust.

Chapter 48 of Isaiah to me is about the peoples obstinacy, God’s prophecies and He exhorts them to obedience. This chapter can truly be applied to my life also. The House of Jacob, both the Israelites and Judah are criticized for calling on God’s name but refusing to live by His laws. This can surly apply to me, how about you. Do we cry out to God when we need something, but forget to follow His commandments each day?

Both Jacob and Israel are refereed to as “ my called ” in spite of their failures. In the days of Isaiah, there was nothing in the people’s actions or attitude to compel God to love and save them, but for His own sake, to show He is and what He can do, God saved them. Remember, God does not save us because we are good, but because He loves us and because of His mercy and forgiving nature.

I love that God uses Isaiah to prophecy that he predicted Israel's return to their homeland almost 200 years before it happens. Isaiah tells us that God will choose Israel's ally, an unlikely King, a pagan king, an enemy of Israel, Cyrus to free them from the captivity of Babylon. God’s plan was to use Cyrus to captured Babylon and then to decree that all the Jews could return to their homeland. Who but a prophet of God could predict such an inconceivable story?

Many of us cry out for comfort, but we have not taken the first step to turn away from sin and open the channels to God. If we want true peace like the river and righteousness like the waves of the sea, we need to harken to God’s commandments. Seek Him first and true peace will follow.
Our LORD is thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, Go ye forth of Babylon is God’s promise to the Israelites of their future deliverance. This is our own promise even today. “ Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel (You and me), my called; I am He; I am the first, I also am the last.”

“ My hope is in You, Lord. All the day long., I won't be shaken by drought or storm. My hope is in You, Lord! ”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality