Duck Hunting Forum banner

Word of the Day, April 15, 2014, Jeremiah 24:1-5

587 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  timf 
#1 ·
Word of the Day, April 15, 2014

" Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down. Here I am to say that You're my God. You're altogether lovely. Altogether worthy. Altogether wonderful to me."

Jeremiah 24:1-5

1 The LORD shewed me, and, behold, two baskets of figs were set before the temple of the LORD, after that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the carpenters and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.

2 One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.

3 Then said the LORD unto me, What seest thou, Jeremiah? And I said, Figs; the good figs, very good; and the evil, very evil, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil.

4 Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

5 Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans for their good.

The prophet Jeremiah had already foretold (Jer 22) that Jehoiachin would be taken to Babylon, and that Zedekiah would become the King. In the Old Testaments days often royal or Kings and their people where exiled to keep them from being to powerful and starting a rebellion.

Jeremiah tells us about the good and the bad figs. The good, fresh and ripe figs represented the exiles to Babylon. Not sure because these people were good themselves, but they were willing to listen to GOD. GOD has promised to bring them back to their land. The bad fig represented those who remained in Judah or even ran away to Egypt. These people I believe thought they would be ok staying in the land or back to Egypt, but this was completely the opposite was true because GOD would use the captivity to refine the exiles. Just like GOD can use our trials to refine us for His plans.

When we have trouble in our lives we often think that we are cursed or we are blessed if everything is going well. Trust me trouble in my life changed my life to be blessed like I have never been before. It built my faith, it showed my how GOD works when you are willing to rest, listen and obey. It made me stronger. I believe most people would not think this way, but prosperity is a curse if it pulls us away from GOD. I learned during my time at Canaan when I was facing trouble and hard times to reach out to Him. When things where going well at Canaan, at home, when I got home and even today, I thank Him for the prosperity. In the valley or the mountain top, I will praise you.

Jeremiah wrote and to the people whom were captives in Babylon in chapter 29 and told the people to move ahead with their lives and to pray for the pagan nation of Babylon. Could you imagine praying for someone that held you captive? I learn how to do this at Canaan. We prayed daily for the CO's and their family. These same people kept us in captivity and many times treated us like animals and went above and beyond their job to cause us troubles. The word of GOD says to love our enemies.....

GOD cared for the exiles in Babylon. Although their captivity was not enslavement. They were able to work, move freely around, have their own house and even Daniel held a high position in the Babylon Government. We may feel like we are trapped, even enslaved with what ever is going on in our lives, but GOD has us in His arms during our time of trials.

If you are going through troubling times now, look at verse 6 and 7.

6 For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.

7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.

GOD is with us even during times of troubles and trials in our lives. We need to have a heart to know Him, good or bad times. He will be our GOD.

" And all the people said Amen. And all the people said Amen. Give thanks to the Lord for His love never ends. At the top of your lungs sing it with me again. And all the people said Amen! "

Timothy Furness

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.