Temperance...

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Temperance...

Postby hopelessaddict » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:55 pm

I have a question for all you christian duck hunters out there, I have been hunting for three years now and it has become a self-consuming passion of mine... recently it has come to the point where I have to hunt four or five times a week to be happy, I know am beginning to make a God out of duck hunting, what I am wondering is how y'all balance things you love in your life so as not to put them before your Lord?
Last edited by hopelessaddict on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:00 pm

sorry, i didn't read the "read before you post" post....i now realize this is open to all faiths, so please don't feel that because u r not christian u can not reply...everyone needs temperance, tell me what u do to ensure temperance over things that consume u..
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 pm

when your out on the water and u begin to see the sun rise you pause to think....how could this kind of beuty(sp) be thought up and created from scratch? its a really deep process but that the best part of the hunt for me.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Are you asking a question on balance or are you really asking a question on commitment? It’s seems like you are using the former to cover the latter. :huh:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Being totally committed to Christ to the depth he requires from us will cause balance in our lives. There are some in churches that don’t even have a clue of what Jesus wants from us. We need to start teaching more on what Jesus really meant when He said, “pick up your cross and follow me” and stop teaching this sweet Jesus stuff. People want their lives straighten out without truly giving their lives to Christ. I’m off on a rant, I hope that you find the answer your looking for, God bless. :thumbsup:
Last edited by 870 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby AWOTIS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:35 am

it sounds like you may be trying to get away from something if you have to go hunting that much to be happy. i know duck hunting is addicting but you must use control sometimes in order to balance out your life (easyer said than done i know).

but like what was said before seeing the sun coming up in morning it makes you thankful to God just to be able to be there and see the beauty of his creation.

And to your question what would i do if hunting was taken away from simple GO NUTS.. lol

i'd hunt & fish all day if i could but the lord and my wife wouldnt take take it very good so i hunt & fish when i can and work when i should.. thank God i'm able to do both....
HAVE FUN TAKE A KID WITH YOU
AWOTIS
hunter

Postby NateSmith » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 pm

It depends on what you're getting out of hunting (in my opinion). In addition to hunting, I also spearfish and dive for abalone. All three are ways for me to clear my head and listen to that still, small voice inside which I have come to believe is the Good Orderly Direction that I need to lead a serene and useful life. If I were to dive solely to escape everyday reality or if I were to use that as a way to avoid having to face reality, then that would be unhealthy.

But, something else to think about, people who don't have an addiction to something don't really question if what they're doing is excessive. Somewhere in all that is the ever-elusive moderation.
NateSmith
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm

pray for a good hun and safty before and after the hunt
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Sun rises..
Breeze is blowin...
fresh air in your lungs...
Looking at that beautiful sunrise with hand on lab....
no other thoughts in your mind...
No other sounds in the sky accept the breeze.....

I dunno sounds almost meditative to me!!
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:35 pm

thanks, yall brought me back to what duck hunting is supposed to be about, i got to the point where i took it way too seriously
Last edited by hopelessaddict on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:12 pm

Honestly I know your struggle. :yes: I am an addictive personality. I go over board on everything I get into. Sometimes to the point of making it not fun or doing harm. Fortunately God has taken away the harmful stuff. I ask myself often if my hunting is taking God's place. Particularly when I have the time to goof off on this site, read about hunting, watch hunting, work on guns, shoot and of course hunt, I catch myself forgetting to have prayer time or bible study time. Or I catch myself day dreaming about hunting in church. :oops: Look on the bright side, if you are concerned about this then your head is on straight. Otherwise you wouldn't give it a second thought. You are off to a good start and you are asking yourself the right questions.

It is hard when you love something so much. Sometimes I have to make change to get things back into perspective. I don’t hunt on Sunday. That is just one choice I have made to put God first. I also try to make sure prayer and bible study are priorities and work to get back on top of them when they slip. It is a process of growth in life and faith I think to have to battle things and make the Lord the priority in your life.

I try not to be too hard on myself. I believe God gave me a passion for the outdoors. He made me the way I am. My grand father and great grand father were avid outdoors men, but gone before I was born. My dad was not much of a hunter. Maybe two days deer hunting every year was good for him. I had a passion for it from as far back as I can remember and learned it all on my own. God made me the way I am for a reason. I don’t fully understand it. He also put me in a career that keeps me in doors most of the time so I think he doesn’t mind if I enjoy my time out as long as He is my priority. I go crazy if I have to be in man’s world too much. I need a steady diet of God’s creations and time away from it all to keep going. I feel closest to God when I am in the great outdoors studying his creations and soaking up the natural environment.

Keep the Lord first and you will be fine. I don’t think you have to give it all up and only set around and read your bible or head out for far away mission fields to be a good Christian. You do need to be in the word and seek God’s will for your life. I will give it all up if he asks me to do it. So far he has not. Everyone has a different role. Who knows if maybe the only reason you are on this earth is to take someone duck hunting and lead them to the Lord. You just don’t know. There are plenty of hunting crazy people out there that have been able to witness and proclaim the name of the Lord through hunting. Buck Gardner is one. Put Him first and you will be fine. Make sure hunting is in the right priority order and if is the most important thing outside of serving the Lord, taking care of your family, and helping others then I don’t see a problem.
:thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:21 pm

thanks for the reply thaner, what u said was right on, phil roberson (the duck commander) is also a devout christian, it is really neat to see guys like that not be bashful about their faith...
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby woollybugger » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am

You have to ask yourself the question is this something that leads me to Jesus Christ, or is this something that leads me away from Jesus Christ?

What are the fruits of your actions? (by their fruits ye shall know them) If you hunt so much that you become irresponsible to your family obligations or the needs of your peers or community, then you might need a little temperance. If the outdoors brings you inner peace that helps you understand your life and your relationship with God, then I think that it is a good thing.

Perhaps your love of the outdoors might be shared with someone one the edge, someone who is looking for something more (like faith in Christ?). You could be a tool in God's hands to share the outdoors with others, and more importantly, the gospel. :wink:
woollybugger
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:38 am

One thing I am now trying to do is incorporate God's work for me into my interest in hunting. I lead the boys group at church for our wednesday evening family night. One of the boys has ADD and I have to tell you, I don't know a thing about how to deal with that. He also comes from a family where the parents were never married and are not together. But, it seemed to me the boy needed a little something extra from his 'boys group teacher'. I heard that he's gone hunting with his granpa a few times. So, I talked to his granpa and we're going to set up a day over the Christmas vacation to take him out with us. He's still too young to be a shooter but, I've also told him that I would help him with his hunter education studying as he'll be of age in few months. Interestingly enough, his behavior has been different the past two weeks since the subject came up.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:10 am

( i am not trying to make anybody feel bad, i am asking this because i know it would be tough for me to walk away from the things I love for Jesus, ultimately I would because I do love him, but materialism is a controlling sin of our soceity, i hope there are others who struggle with it) help me brothers and sisters... -hopelessaddict

I've thought some more about your post...I recall a single instance when listening to a radio preacher while driving in my truck in Savannah, GA. He was talking about how he can't wait for Kingdom Come and I should feel the same. I'm guessing I score pretty low on the faith scale because I can honestly say...I have a very hard time identifying with that. I guess I'm too earthly-minded for my own good.

Day-to-day life is so difficult for me lately but at the same time, I believe that life on earth still has so much to offer; e.g. duck hunting. I have a hope that life can and will be better and when it's time to go to Kingdom Come...it's time to go to Kingom Come. (period)

Let me also add...on the subject of materialism. I suppose it's pretty easy to get materialistic about duck gear. But, I just try to enjoy duck hunting with what I have. I'm sticking w/ my good old Mossberg 500 pump that I got used. Sure a Benelli Super Eagle II would be nice but I don't have that kind of dough right now.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby Duckorbust » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 am

I think that all that have posted have had some really good points, and also have pretty well answered your question, but this is just my point of view.
God's creation was created for us to enjoy. Some of the most amazing times I've had with God has been in a tree stand, sitting in my boat waiting for the "time". What I mean is when you're out there, you are away from the realities of life, which in most cases hinder these moments. You get to experience God's creation in the way that he intended it. I've had some of the most intimate and amazing moments with God while hunting. It's all about relationship. Does God know our voice and do we know his? If so, IMO, we have the kind of relationship that he wants us to have.

Woollybugger, man, you hit the nail on the head!

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a balance between our responsiblities as husband, parent, and believer. The question I would ask myself is this: Do I question myself on this because of conviction? If so, then there probably needs to be some changes made.

I will pray that you come to a place where you feel that you have balance in your life. I pray God's blessing and favor on you. Have a good one.

I can't tell everyone how much I appreciate all the post here......this is some good stuff!!!!!
All men are self made.....Only the successful ones admit it
Duckorbust
hunter

Postby Duckorbust » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 am

Sorry but I forgot something..............I don't know if you like to read, but let me tell you about an amazing book that all men should read. The book is Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. This is the most amazing book I've ever read. I'm read my Bible daily but I'm not one to just sit down with a book and read it. I've now read this book 3 times and each time I got something different from it. I would strongly recommend you read this book. I will even send you a copy if you want. Just PM me.
All men are self made.....Only the successful ones admit it
Duckorbust
hunter

Postby hopelessaddict » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 am

i have heard a lot about the book wild at heart, i should quit being lazy and read it
Last edited by hopelessaddict on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:17 pm

I came to the Lord about 7 years ago. I also hunted and fished 5 to 7 days a week.

I have fished a grand total of 3 times this year (June 17 right now) and hunted 4 or 5 with my dad & uncle to wrap up duck season.

I don't miss it and no-one can believe I'm the same guy - kinda cool to see HIS HAND in my life.

He will take it away from you slowly and painlessly - just allow Him to do it.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 am

MissedAgain wrote:
He will take it away from you slowly and painlessly - just allow Him to do it.

He gave it to me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby capn - Tx » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:05 pm

MissedAgain wrote:He will take it away from you slowly and painlessly - just allow Him to do it.

Only if you are using it for the wrong reasons.

If you are using it for the right reasons, I've found the exact opposite to be true.
If it flies it flies. If it walks it walks. If it lies, the Texans will roast it.
capn - Tx
hunter

Postby pappy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 pm

i think i would praise God for the oppritunities to be a part of his creation that you have. take some friends and share that greatness with them. you can call it your duck ministry.

if they won't go then you should call me .... i need to be ministered to quite often during duck season. :rofl:

ggod huntin :thumbsup:

pap
pappy
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality