Word of the Day, May 01, 2014
" Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! Morning by morning new mercies I see; All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.”
1 Kings 17:1-5
1 And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.
2 And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying,
3 Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward, and hide thyself by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.
4 And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there.
5 So he went and did according unto the word of the LORD: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.
The next two Words of the Day are going to be about the miracles of Elijah and Elisha. Today we will discuss the miracles of Elijah. Verse five speaks of how and why these two men of God, prophets where able to do for God what he commanded them too. They went and did according unto the word of the LORD.
Elijah was a mighty prophet of God during the reigns of Ahab and Ahaziah. His prophecies emphasized the unconditional loyalty to God required of the nation of Israel.
Let’s look at the miracles of Elijah:
1. Causing the rain to cease for 3 1/2 years. This was the punishment to Israel for their false gods and idolatry.
2. Being feed by the ravens. He was told to move eastward and to hide by brook Cherith. They had what they needed. Water and the ravens feed them bread and flesh.
3. The miracle of the barrel of meat and cruse of the oil. Elijah, a widow and her son all live for a long time from a tiny bit of flower and oil. It miraculously never runs out.
4. The resurrection of the widow’s dead son. Only through the hand of God.
5. The miracle of fire on the Altar. A contest between the prophets of Baal and Elijah. Guess who wins, the man with God as his source. Our God is real.
6. Causing it to rain after Elijah’s prayers. Simple, pray works! Elijah ran faster then Ahab who was in a chariot drawn by horses to tell the people of the coming rain in Jezreel.
7. The parting of the Jordan River. Elijah parted the Jordan so that he and Elisha could walk across on dry ground.
8. Double portion of Elijah’s spirit. Elisha was asked what Elijah could do for him and his response was can he have double portion of Elijah’s spirit to be upon him.
9. Elijah being caught up to heaven in a whirlwind. This is a amazing thing that happened. Taken to heaven without death first.
I love to see God’s miracle and God working in peoples lives. These two men are men of God willing to listen to His commandments. It comes down often to what I learned in Canaan, Rest, Listen and Obey. Are we willing to listen to what God is telling us and to trust it enough to obey Him and to them move out for Him?
“ O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of his grace! “