Word of the Day, May 13, 2014, Jonah 1:7

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, May 13, 2014, Jonah 1:7

Postby timf » Tue May 13, 2014 5:18 am

Word of the Day, May 13, 2014

" Joy unspeakable, faith unsinkable. Love unstoppable, anything is possible.”

Jonah 1:7

7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.

We all know the story of Jonah. My first question this morning, Do you believe the story of Jonah in the belly of the whale for 3 days? I do, literally. I often hear people say that the Bible is full of fairy tales. They say, no way a man can fit into whale’s mouth and belly. But with God, all things are possible.

During one of our Bible studies in Canaan, we were asked what Bible character best describes us and I chose Jonah. Like Him, I was not listening to what God was telling me to do. I want to do what I wanted to do, not what God wanted me to do for Him.

The casting of lots was a common practice in the Old Testament days and the disciples even used it to chose the 12th disciple to replace Judas. The main reason for casting lots was to come to a unbiased decision on important decisions and matters. The High Priest did use casting lots for important and undecided decisions. Remember though, “ The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.”

The seas were rocking with wind and waves to make the ship almost sink. The shipmaster asked Jonah to wake and pray and call upon thy God that would save them all. They casted lots to see who was sinning against God. It fell upon Jonah because he was not going to Nineveh to cry against their sins and wickedness.

They knew what he had done wrong against God. Then they said, “ why hast thou done this?” So Jonah, knowing his sin, told them to cast him into the sea to calm it. They tried to row towards the shore, but the waves were to big and strong. They cried unto the LORD for their lives and then they tossed Jonah into the seas and it calmed instantly. The men then feared the LORD exceedingly and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD and made vows.

The last verse of this chapter says this; “ Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.” Our LORD is always there for us, He has prepared a way for us to return unto Him, to save us from our own sin and path of destruction. God provided a way for me to survive, a way to listen to Him, a way to honour Him and a way to go and preach to Nineveh. We you have been through a trial, look to God to help you through it and after it is over, give Him all the praise and glory. Hallelujah ! Thank you Father God for my great fish and my time in the belly called Canaan.

“ Just to know You and to make You known. We lift Your name on high. Shine like the sun, make darkness run and hide. We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives. It's time for us to more than just survive. We were made to thrive.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality