Word of the Day, May 29, 2014, Philippians 3:13-14

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, May 29, 2014, Philippians 3:13-14

Postby timf » Thu May 29, 2014 5:36 am

Word of the Day, May 29, 2014

" I've heard all the stories. I've seen all the signs. Witnessed all the glory. Tasted all that's fine. Nothing compares to the greatness of knowing You, Lord. Nothing compares to the greatness of knowing You, Lord. ”

[B]Philippians 3:13-14

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.[/B]

Do you confess to be perfect? Do you think you are always right? Do you think you have reach your goal in your life and your relationship with Christ? Are you striving to be closer with Him each day? Are you striving to serve Him more each day? As I studied this in Canaan, I realized that my past goals were not of a better relationship with my Saviour, but my goals were for success, a better duck hunter, a better business and a better life for me and my family. Now, don’t get me wrong, most of these thing in general may not be bad, but when they take over and become your God, I had things backward, God needed to be my only God.

Paul had lived a life full of sin before he became a Christian and had reasons to forget the past. We have all done things in the past that we need to forget. Because of our hope in Jesus Christ, we can finally let go of our past and move forward for Him. Concentrate on our relationship with God, realize you have been forgiven and move forward with your faith in Him and His restoration for you.

The calling of God has threefold emphasis. First, He call all of us everywhere to repent, to ask for mercy on our sins in our lives. Second, we are all called for complete dedication to Him. Third, God calls us to a sphere of service, ministry or a holy calling. The Bible records three “calls” of Christ to His disciples to be a Christian. God calls us to Christians, He calls us to to sanctification and He at times calls His servants to do special services for the Kingdom of Christ.

I needed to leave them behind, forgetting them and start running the race for Christ, start setting my goals for how I could better serve Christ and to see the things before me that Christ was showing me. Is our goals to help the helpless, to love thy neighbor, to love and help our brothers and sisters in God’s kingdom? Is our goal to go and mow someone’s yard in the 90 degree heat after a long week, cook another meal to help the sick, a young family or a broken family or a pregnant mom or someone that lost their job. Is this our goal? Is this the mark that we press towards?

Christ promises eternity with Him at the end of the race. Living a life like Christ is hard and demands are our energies for Him. We can forget our past, fight for the mark and the prize of our eternal crown. In Christ Jesus, the author and finisher of every good thing, seek the mark of Jesus Christ.

“ Great is Your love and justice, God of Jacob You use the weak to lead the strong You lead us in the song of Your salvation And all Your people sing along. Your grace is enough for me.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality