Word of the Day, July 1, 2014, Jonah 2

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, July 1, 2014, Jonah 2

Postby timf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:07 am

Word of the Day, July 1, 2014

" Filled with wonder, Awestruck wonder. At the mention of Your Name Jesus, Your Name is Power. Breath, and Living Water. Such a marvelous mystery ”

Jonah 2:1-10

1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,

2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.

9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

I have said this before and I will say it again, I believe that if I had to chose a bible character that was like me, I would love to say I am like Paul, Peter or even Daniel. But I most really look at myself and say I was more like Jonah. As we know the story (and if not read Jonah 1) he was told by God to “ go to Niveveh the great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.” He boarded a ship and a great storm came and the men decided to throw him overboard to stop the storm because he had sinned against the LORD’s commands.

There are two parts to this story that I love to hear. Even in Jonah’s sin, God was still their to save him. He could have drowned, but no, God had a plan, a whale swallowed him up into it’s belly and had seaweed wrapped around his head to be able to survive. God’s plan was not going to be changed because of Jonah’s plans.

God can use our trials to his glory. He can make us finally see His path or plan for our lives. We are to serve Him and not our self. I was like Jonah, not listening to God but to myself.

The second part of this story that I really like is that Jonah got it and finally prayed. He cried unto the Lord. The waters had compassed him about and the waves passed over him. He tells us that he went down to the bottoms of the mountains, the earth’s bars imprisoned him. What first was Jonah’s danger or death, God had so wonderfully secured him in the belly of the whale.

I know that feeling of being trapped or imprisoned and finally having to give it up to God COMPLETELY! To understand that God wants me to worship Him, praise Him and to serve Him. I also learned that if you ask, God will provide your every need.

Then the best part comes to Jonah, he was vomited out upon dry land. The LORD of mercy saved him to go and do God’s work in the city of Niveveh. I was tossed out of Canaan and believe to this day, that I am to go to my city of Niveveh to share the Word of God to as many people as I can. You don’t have to tell me twice anymore!

At my church, First Bible Baptist Church, our motto or mission statement is to “ Love God, Love People, Serve Others and Tell Everyone.” We are to go to the world and share His grace and mercy. Are we loving and serving others? Are we listening and obeying or not? Or do we need to go into the water and swallowed up by a whale or a prison or to loss our family to sin or to hurt other people before we get that God has a plan for us to save your city of Niveveh? “ But I will sacrifice unto thee with voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that I have vowed, Salvation is of the LORD.”

“ Of this glorious unfolding. We will watch and SEE and we will be amazed. If we just keep on believing the story is so far from over and hold on to every promise God has made to us. We'll SEE the glorious unfolding.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality