Word of the Day, July 2, 2014, Revelation 3:15-16

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, July 2, 2014, Revelation 3:15-16

Postby timf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:17 am

Word of the Day, July 2, 2014

" This world has nothing for me. This life is not my own. I know you go before me and I am not alone. This mountain rises higher. This way seems so unclear. But I know that you go with me. I will trust in you."

Revelation 3:15-16

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Are we lukewarm for Christ? Are we cold for Christ or hot for Him? As Jesus spoke to John in Revelation, He was talking about the Church at Laodicea and how they had become lukewarm. The church was likened to lukewarm water or being virtually worthless.

Some history for you that I learned studying these verses. The hot waters from nearby Hierapolis were known for their medicinal qualities whereas Colossae was known for its cold, pure water. But Laodicea was forced to receive water via a aqueduct from other areas. By the time the water arrived in Laodicea it was lukewarm and often caused nausea. The works of Laodicea's church were as worthless as the city's lukewarm water.

This expression to me is also the same in our worldly opinions as in our Christian beliefs. We are never really willing to stand for what we believe. We become independent, not liberal or conservatives. Are we liberals with the Word of God and become the Pope of our own religion or are we in the middle and say the Bible is just a book of stories or some is true and some is so old that it does not apply to today, what other people do is ok and does not effect anybody else or we are willing to stand strong on His Word and live it everyday?

I used to be lukewarm for Christ 10 years ago. But when Christ got ahold of me during my trial, it all changed. As I said last night at our Tuesday Night Men's Prayer session, I wish that people do not have to go through a trial, but it is amazing if we choose Christ during and after our trial what He does in our lives and that we have to be on fire for Him and continue to preach and share His words of mercy, grace and love to anybody willing to listen to us We need to Love God, Love People, Serve Others and Tell Everyone. We need to be on fire for Christ's kingdom and how we can serve Him.

I heard a expression last night that I have never heard before. Saved and Ok or Saved and Satisfied. That sound like lukewarm to me. This is what many churches and Christians are today. We believed that we are saved so we are ok. Why don't we do the work of God and stay on fire after we are saved? Why do we become lukewarm for the kingdom of Christ?

Like the church of Laodicea, they became lukewarm and hence they became distasteful and repugnant. ( Does a lukewarm drink taste good or satisfy your thirst?) They did not take a stand for anything, their indifference led to idleness. The church had become self satisfied or hardened just like today's churches. This will cause a church or a Christian to destroy itself. We must not settle for a halfhearted or nominal relationship with Christ. We need to get fired up for God. We need to let Christ fire up our faith and get us out and serving Him and His kingdom. Tell me this, are we saved and satisfied or saved and not satisfied that we can do more for God, like more bible reading, more praying, more loving others, more serving others and more sharing the Word of God to your world?

" I woke up this morning, saw a world full of trouble now. Thought, how'd we ever get so far down? How's it ever gonna turn around? So I turned my eyes to Heaven, I thought, God, why don't You do something? Well, I just couldn't bear the thought of people living in poverty. Children sold into slavery. The thought disgusted me. So, I shook my fist at Heaven, Said, God, why don't You do something? He said, I did, I created you. "

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality