Word of the Day, July 7, 2014, Proverbs 1:1-7

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, July 7, 2014, Proverbs 1:1-7

Postby timf » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:14 am

Word of the Day, July 7, 2014

" Trust in Jesus. My great Deliverer. My strong Defender. The Son of God. I trust in Jesus. Blessed Redeemer. My Lord forever. The Holy One, the Holy One."

Proverbs 1:1-7

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

As many of you know, I read a chapter of Proverbs everyday since I was in Canaan and continue daily today. What a blessing to read about wisdom, understanding and knowledge and to be able to apply to our life in a GODly manner.

A little history about the Book of Proverbs. It was written mostly by the third king of Israel, Solomon with the exception for the last two chapters which were written by Agur and Lemuel. The purpose of the book was to give moral instruction, especially to young people. Some Bible Scholars say the key verse is 1:4 (read again above) but for me they are all key verses to apply to ourselves.

The Book of Proverbs is a book of moral and instructions concerning "right" living. Also, discourses on wisdom, justice, temperance, industry and purity. In the pithy comments, there is a sharp contrast between wisdom and folly, righteousness and sin.

Many subjects are discussed in the Book of Proverbs. Anger, prayer, riches, trust, family, peace, righteousness, poverty, wicked, our tongues, prudence, benevolence, sex, correction of children, enticers, evil women, good women, wine, words, sleep, friendship, love, neighbors, shame, unjust gain, fear of God, fools, strife, indolence, temperance, divine wisdom, knowledge and understanding, scorners, and pride. Sound like a number one self help book that we should all read.

There is a real spiritual lesson in the Book of Proverbs. Solomon was a guide post rather than an example. He pointed the way to wisdom, but as he got older and should have been so much wiser, he did not walk in the divine wisdom given unto him. Hence his son, Rehoboam followed his fathers examples rather than his words and counsel and became a foolish and evil ruler.

If we could take the Book of Proverbs from chapter 1-9 and practice the moral discipline commanded to us in these chapters and the practical applications of wisdom expressed in chapter 10-31, we could truly have an abundant and successful life. This could apply even for non believers but can you image if you have God in your life and apply the lessons of the Book of Proverbs daily?

All that seek wisdom will greatly benefit from these wise word from Solomon. Wisdom means far more than simply knowing a lot. As I have learned from reading the Book of Proverbs, wisdom it is a basic attitude that effects every aspect of my life. The foundation of knowledge is the fear of the LORD, to honor and respect our God. We need to live in awe of His power and to obey His words. Faith in our Father God should be the controlling principle of our understanding of the world, our attitude and our actions. Trusting in God will truly make us wise.

I challenge you to prayerfully consider reading the Book of Proverbs each day. Takes less than 5 minutes and it is a good start to reading more of the Word of God each day. So many good verses that have help me with my walk with Christ. Most of us know Proverbs 3:5-7 and if not, please read today. However, my favorite verse of Proverbs is verse 4 of Chapter 4: " He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live." This verse applies to us as parents and our children, but also between us and our Father God. Read God's Words, Obey His Words and live His Words.

" I am redeemed. You set me free. So I'll shake off theses heavy chains. And wipe away every stain. Now I'm not who I used to be. I am redeemed."

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality