Funeral that got me back on track.

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Funeral that got me back on track.

Postby RiverMaster » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Today I went to my buddies's grandfather's funeral. I went there cause he's one of my best friends that still has time to talk to me. I don't see many of my classmates from high school. I only talk to four main friends from HS. Anyways, today I went to his funeral, and it was very emotional, the guy that did the ceremony was a nephew to this man. He asked everyone to bow their heads and say the lords prayer, and asked the audience if they accepted Christ in that prayer, and asked to raise their hands.... I raised mine, I have been saved, but just don't go to church anymore. In my church that I went to, we had a lot of controversy and it was hard to leave. I know I need to go back to church, because I know I need Christ in my life... Even though we have 3 inches of ice on our county roads I am very happy I made it to that funeral. Seems like I have been living my life, between the devil and the cross. I need to wise up and make myself a better person. I remember when I first went to church I was a happier man than I am now...

I just know I need to get back to church. I promise I will...
No Hunting, No Wildlife

No Wildlife, No Hunting
RiverMaster
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:10 pm

:welcome: every church will have controversy. every church has "those people". its a matter of seeing past that. as long as the foundation is strong a church will be too.
i was in and out of church until my junior year of HS. i met a guy i became good friends with who invited me to go out with his friends. i was all for it thinking there was nothing "church related".
turns out, they were all in a youth group together. they seemed to be great people and i actually began dating one of the girls.lol
long story short....they had a soccer team and did a lot of things outside of church. i went to all until i went to the church. i didnt like it much at first but i got involved with the sound department, youth group, and would eventually sing. i love church now and enjoy it. most of those people have moved, but i owe them more than they know. im scared to know where i would be without my relationship with christ.
get involved! you'll enjoy it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby AWOTIS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:31 am

you dont have to go to church to have christ in your life. i have to work on sundays so i cant go, but i try to take some time out when i can to think about what God does and try to do gods work. if you need church but dont want to go back to the church you went to try going to others. my wife and i was going to one church but didnt belive this was the one for us so we went to anoughter but that church we felt didnt meet our needs. so again we tryed a different one and we felt that this one was right for us.

so morol to this long story is just keep trying and God will provide you with an answer, keep beliveing and God will provide a way.

ill send up a prayer to the big man for yaa....
HAVE FUN TAKE A KID WITH YOU
AWOTIS
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey RM, sorry to hear about your friend’s Grandfather. I was in your spot for a year and a half. I know what you went through, you’re not of the world anymore, but not right with God. That’s being stuck between a rock and a hard spot, there’s no happiness there. So I did the only thing I knew to do, I dove deeper into drugs and drinking. Talk about shooting myself in the foot, as Dr. Phil would say, “how’s that’s working for yeah” it didn’t. The whole time I had a strange fear of dying the whole time I was backsliding.

Now I don’t know if you believe that the Lord comes to us in dreams, but this is what happened to me. I dreamt I had died and was waiting to be judged. I was sitting in a place so dark I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. A door opened up and a voice said to me” stand for you’re now in the presents of the Son of God” I was being brought towards a light so bright, I couldn’t even look at it. As I approached it, the shame I felt was unbelievable and unbearable. He knew everything about me. As He judged me for my sins all I could do was look at my feet and say, “yes Lord your right, yes Lord”

The next thing I knew I was waking up in bed in a cold sweat, shaking my wife and saying, “ were going to church next Sunday.” That was 25 years ago, I haven’t regretted it. God bless Bro take care :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby XR-2 Fan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 pm

I know it's difficult dealing with church controversy but one thing's for certain. You can't live on this earth without food, and you sure can't survive spiritually without spiritual food which is God's word. God loves you more than you'll ever realize and you can get your daily spiritual food no matter where you are by studying his word. All your answers reside there. Start there and be willing to let God lead you, and he WILL make your path clear. Let us know if we can help brother. :thumbsup: By the way I'm talking to myself also with these statements!!!
XR-2 Fan
hunter

wow

Postby blazer68 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm

870 wrote:Hey RM, sorry to hear about your friend’s Grandfather. I was in your spot for a year and a half. I know what you went through, you’re not of the world anymore, but not right with God. That’s being stuck between a rock and a hard spot, there’s no happiness there. So I did the only thing I knew to do, I dove deeper into drugs and drinking. Talk about shooting myself in the foot, as Dr. Phil would say, “how’s that’s working for yeah” it didn’t. The whole time I had a strange fear of dying the whole time I was backsliding.

Now I don’t know if you believe that the Lord comes to us in dreams, but this is what happened to me. I dreamt I had died and was waiting to be judged. I was sitting in a place so dark I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. A door opened up and a voice said to me” stand for you’re now in the presents of the Son of God” I was being brought towards a light so bright, I couldn’t even look at it. As I approached it, the shame I felt was unbelievable and unbearable. He knew everything about me. As He judged me for my sins all I could do was look at my feet and say, “yes Lord your right, yes Lord”

The next thing I knew I was waking up in bed in a cold sweat, shaking my wife and saying, “ were going to church next Sunday.” That was 25 years ago, I haven’t regretted it. God bless Bro take care :thumbsup:

Wow thats powerful man. awsome story
blazer68
Banned

Postby J Loves Huntin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Glad God got ahold of you. Even though I was a have "Christian" I did stray while I was 14-16 and messed up a lot. Know that you are back in Jesus's arms I encourage you not to be content with just a knowledge of God but to grow into a close relationship with Him. Bible reading, prayer and church are all big players in our relationship with God. :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves!!!
Season 2010-2011
2 Specks
1 Dove
J Loves Huntin
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Well I don’t need to add anything, but I will. You got a lot of great advice and you need to go for growth, spiritual food, and the support you can get when you not only go but get involved. You also need to be feeding others and doing your part to spread the word. You can't do that on your own. The church is not a place. It is a group of believers working together, caring for each other, and doing ministry. If you try a church and you don’t get feed, challenged, and feel involved you may be in the wrong place.

I will tell you a little of my experience with exactly this same thing. I was not happy with the church I grew up in. Part was the church and the bigger part was me. I left when I left home and didn’t go for many years on my own. I moved to where I live now and for 7-years I drove past all kinds of churches and thought I needed to get back to going. When I went past this one I felt this little prick in the back of my mind. It was too big and I knew I would not fit in there so I just blew off the feeling. I had friends and a lot of activities and things, but I was really lonely and miserable. I couldn’t find a woman I could stand or respect in the palace I was spending my time and my friendships were shallow. Life got bad. I hurt my back and a couple months later my mother was killed in an accident. I went from thinking I had it under control to hopeless. Not only could I not care for all my needs or figure out how to work out my problems, but my mother, spiritual anchor, and prayer worrier, one person who I could depend on no matter what was gone. Of course most all my friends and the woman I had an on and off relationship with were nowhere to be found. I had no choice so I turned to God. He took away my physical pain for a week so I could burry my mother. Then it was back in a big way. After months living on the floor and reading my bible I got on my feet again after my first surgery. As soon as I could get going I found that church and sat way back in the corner. Well about 8 years have gone buy. I found my wife there and she is the second best thing to ever happen to me. I could go on for a long time on how great she is and how little I deserve her. God had her waiting there all along. I also have two children now, and I am very involved with family and church. I have a lot of great friends and a couple real close hunting buddies. When we have problems people are praying for us and they are there to meet our needs. We do the same for them. I still deal with my back on about a daily basis and life is not easy, but I have never been so blessed or any happier.

God has great things for you, but until you follow his calling and get with his program you will not experience his many blessings he is waiting to shower on you.

God BLESS!
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality