Explaining the Unexplainable

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.


Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Explaining the Unexplainable

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:05 pm

hello all, i just migrated over from Controversy. i know you will all be nice and openminded here...
how can we possibly understand why bad things happen to good people? why this year so many people have lost their homes, lives in the severe weather outbreaks this year (and not just in this country) tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, wildfire, etc. why do our loved ones sometimes die suddenly and much too soon?
Last edited by bluewing77 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bluewing77
hunter
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: elev. 6820, central NM


Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Good questioin bluewing. The answer, in my opinion, is fairly easy too. When Adam and Eve ate from the tree in the Garden of Eden it brought sin into the world. This in turn allows aweful things to happen, the devil will do what ever he can to bring men down (If you want an example, read Job). God will allow people to be tested, but not beyond their limits. God will also use tradgic events to turn people to him. Finally, God allows humans to make their own decisions and some will often times hurt others. For example Adam and Even effected every generation after their sin, or the driver that decides to have a few beers before he hits the road. Hope this answered your question a little bit.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8456
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Postby capn - Tx » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but sometimes there's a lot of truth in the simple. My first reaction when reading your post was to ask why you think you should be able to understand it? It doesn't take much faith to only be at peace with what you fully understand.

Seek out wisdom and understanding, but even when you can't get it, do what's right and continue to follow to God. Ours is not to worry over what we can't control, but to do what's right with what we can control. Following God even when you don't understand is an expression of faith.
If it flies it flies. If it walks it walks. If it lies, the Texans will roast it.
capn - Tx
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 pm

You bring up a heartfelt question that no-one really can answer. Seeing disasters and death really tugs at the heart and makes us wonder why our creator would allow this.

Capn brought up a good point. The whole deal with Faith is that we just act on it - we can't understand everything since God is not man and doesn't think like we do. He's so far above us.

We need to walk in faith no matter what happens - even if we don't understand. God uses all things for good.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Orlando, FLorida

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 am

x
Last edited by bluewing77 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
bluewing77
hunter
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: elev. 6820, central NM

Postby capn - Tx » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:42 am

I'm with you in that I don't like not being in control, but in reality the number of things that we actually can control is incredibly small. You are 1 of around 6 billion people on the earth, and you don't even have full control over yourself in that you can't prevent your body from wearing down and even failing. The present is fleeting, yet you can't control the past and can only have a marginal effect on your future.

I find it best to just come to grips with the fact that we are simply not in control. That helps when it comes time to confront some small thing that we actually can control, like doing something nice for our spouse. If you can control so little, you may as well make it good because it's not worth wasting it on something bad.

On the other hand, in a world (and universe) in which the things you can control add up to something infinitely small when compared to that which you can't control, why would someone rationally think that they can control enough to earn their way into heaven (or the afterlife of your choosing)? If the "higher power" is in control of so much in regard to the world, wouldn't he/she be in control of that much more in heaven?

Not to mention, when you say good life and good example, define the word good. You can only control your definition of the word good. What if God defines the word differently? That's out of your control, and your idea of a good life/good example wouldn't be good enough to get you through. That's why the concept of "following God" is not a broad or general concept - it is precise and exact. Either you follow God, or you don't, there is no in between. Following yourself and your own sense of what is good or bad is not the same as following God.

It is not reasonable to believe that there is a God and not make every attempt possible to specifically know and follow Him.
If it flies it flies. If it walks it walks. If it lies, the Texans will roast it.
capn - Tx
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm

thanks capn and everyone who's helped get the gears turning....

capn - Tx wrote:I find it best to just come to grips with the fact that we are simply not in control. If you can control so little, you may as well make it good because it's not worth wasting it on something bad.
agreed. one thing that we can control is the way we treat other people thru our actions and words. Matthew 5:16
Last edited by bluewing77 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bluewing77
hunter
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: elev. 6820, central NM

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 pm

its Faith that i'm working on, and that whole thing of Trust in God, its all in His hands. that thing of giving up what very little control i have.


It's something that's got to be done. Just go ahead and put trust in Him, you won't regret it. You WILL sin, that's life. You will be tempted and sometimes you will fall. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says this:

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.


I find that if I'm having a rough time, simply reading the Bible will settle me down. For example, the other day at work I got really angry at some people being lazy on not doing their job. I went out to the truck and got some Levi Garret and looked down and saw my little pocket Bible laying in the ash tray in the truck. I read it during my 30 minute break and went back to work perfectly fine.

Also, bad stuff will happen and that's part of the temptation part. Once again, look at Job. He was the hardest tested man I've ever heard about. There were times when he blamed God and was angry with him. Believe me, when I was layed up in the hospital for a month with ulcers that got me permanently disqualified from the military, I did the same thing. Stuff happens but the one thing you can always count on is God. He'll always be there to pick you up when you fall.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8456
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Postby capn - Tx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm

bluewing77 wrote:A "good" person who lives a "good" life would have to be Kind, Benevolent, Morally Upright, Fair and Just. of course these are all just words in the English language and all subjective to interpretation.


From Psalm 14

1 The fool [a] says in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The LORD looks down from heaven
on the sons of men
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned aside,
they have together become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.

The Biblical definition of the word good is PERFECTION. Therefore being a "good" person can never be enough because, by definition, people can never be "good." No one is perfect. It took a perfect sacrifice and a perfect victory over death to create the path by which we can draw near to God through faith. We were not in control of our eternal fate, and it's not until we give up control of it that we can be sure of it because of what God did for us. Ironic, huh?
If it flies it flies. If it walks it walks. If it lies, the Texans will roast it.
capn - Tx
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:34 am

I think capn hit the nail on the head right there.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8456
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Postby swsnookred » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:01 am

capn - Tx wrote:
bluewing77 wrote:A "good" person who lives a "good" life would have to be Kind, Benevolent, Morally Upright, Fair and Just. of course these are all just words in the English language and all subjective to interpretation.


From Psalm 14

1 The fool [a] says in his heart,
"There is no God."
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The LORD looks down from heaven
on the sons of men
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned aside,
they have together become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.

The Biblical definition of the word good is PERFECTION. Therefore being a "good" person can never be enough because, by definition, people can never be "good." No one is perfect. It took a perfect sacrifice and a perfect victory over death to create the path by which we can draw near to God through faith. We were not in control of our eternal fate, and it's not until we give up control of it that we can be sure of it because of what God did for us. Ironic, huh?

Well put cap'n I forget the reference but there is a verse that says, "our good deeds are as filthy rags in the sight of the Lord" of course referring to those things that we do for the sake of being a good person and not as unto the Lord. And Bluewing, the little control that you have is SOOOOO insignificant to the great rewards and blessings that you will reap from becoming a child of the living God!! You cannot begin to comprehend what he has in store for you. Sure, there will be some rough times where you will say, why me God? but I assure you, He who has begun a great work in you will see it through to completion.
God Bless!
swsnookred
hunter
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: SW Fla

Re: Explaining the Unexplainable

Postby Chiloquin » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:59 am

bluewing77 wrote:hello all, i just migrated over from Controversy. i know you will all be nice and openminded here...
how can we possibly understand why bad things happen to good people? why this year so many people have lost their homes, lives in the severe weather outbreaks this year (and not just in this country) tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, wildfire, etc. why do our loved ones sometimes die suddenly and much too soon?


Although I cannot answer this to its Logical (no one can this side of eternity) end I can say--our Lord took on the Full Brunt Of Evil. Jesus allowed evil to thrash Him, partially to give us comfort in the times when we take a thrashing from evil.

We can never be good enough,and to try to be "good" by our own merit is a sin in itself, rather we should fall to our knees and ask Jesus to pull us out of sin through His Spirit.

you asked about faith. True Faith isn't believing something that isn't true. True Faith is believing truth. Jesus has given us enough evidence both, empirical and metaphysical to believe Him. All we have to do is search in truth.

Human nature rebels agianst Christ, we are bad by nature. We will try to fit God into our mold, which in reality would make us God! You see, by doing so, our mind would define Him, making Him a concept that we have created--totally the opposite of the truth. Dangerous Ground. Rather we need to change our thinking to fit His. It is then, that we can start understanding God. The olny way we can do this is by hearing what he has to say. the olny way we hear is by reading His Word. Let Him change your thinking and the rest will come.

Once you truely Meet Jesus the Christ, you will find yourself having no other choice but, to Follow Him. You will live by "the golden rule" because it is His real, true, goodness, living through you. Not, a self centered human, trying to earn his way to heaven "good," but a true good, just for the sake of Good. Genuine Good. Real Good.

God Bless you all and Merry Christmas.

Nate
Chiloquin
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:35 am
Location: Oregon

Postby BuffleBuster » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:47 am

Man puts so much value in life itself. We expect that life should go a certain way since we are believers. I’m not sure God puts the same value in life that we do. In the grand scheme of things, our life here on earth will seem like a flash in the pan when we have been with God for ten thousand years. It will seem like it only lasted for a second or two in comparison. God’s great gift to us isn’t life here on this earth, its life with him through eternity. God even gave his own Son so that we could be with him. This life is a test. It’s an opportunity to experience a gift God has given us and an even greater opportunity to choose to believe in Jesus and live forever. Jesus said “I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes unto the Father except by me.” This life isn’t the prize; it’s the one after this life that matters.
Pass the habanero sauce!
User avatar
BuffleBuster
hunter
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:57 pm
Location: Houston, Texas


Return to Faith-Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron