profanity

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

profanity

Postby grunt_doc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:15 am

Just your thoughts on it. Is it a sin? Why?

I cuss like a sailor ('cause I am!) and see no problem with it....barring, of course, using it around kids, ect.

Doc
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey doc great question. I've been on vaca and heading out right now, so I will get back with ya tonight :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Depends on your definition of "sin" is. I really do not like the modern judgemental overtones of the meaning od sin. Originally sin was an archery term. I meant missed the bullseye or missed the mark. A completely different contotation IMO. So if using the original meaning, of off the mark, well then I think then yes profanity is a sin, in that we can do better to be on the mark.

I used use every 3 to 5 word a swear word, often the f word in everyday use 25 years ago. I have gotten better about it. But still swear too often, and every so often I wince when I see the reaction on somebodies face as I realize that it was not appropriate to them.

For me it is a good barometer, some days I am swearing a bit too much and I usually am not God centered at all. Other days I swear very little, and am more in tune to Him. Perhaps a attitude of who is in charge type of thing.

That saying of: "I am not the man I should be nor the man want to be, but thank God I am not the man used to be" comes to mind. I have a ways to go yet, and not just on the swearing stuff either. If I use the archery definition, I could not even hit the broad side of a barn 25 years ago, so at least I am hitting the barn now. Now in the years a head I need to hit the hay bales where the target is.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Well doc, don’t misunderstand me and shut me out right off the bat. I don’t want to get too preachy and give you a list of scriptures to answer your question. In short, for born again Christians it’s a sin for us to use the Lords name in vain. The bible tells us to guard are mouth and not to let any profanity come out of it. Our words are to be truthful, edifying, uplifting and positive. Christians are not to tell someone to “go to hell”, but live a life that points them to heaven. We are not to say to someone “damn you” because originally it was said “damn you to hell” in a sense you saying you wanted them to be damned to hell for all eternally, that’s not what we’re about. Also for Christians, it’s a bad witness to the world (those who are not Christians). I believe it was James, Jesus half brother who said, “if a man can’t bridle his tongue, his religion is worthless”. It shows self-control.

Man, I would love to sit here and make you believe that I don’t cuss and swear, but that would be a lie. After 27 years of being a Christian. I still mess up showing me that I still have what we call the “old man” inside of me, that being the carnal, fleshly and sinful side of me. The side of me that I have to war against everyday, you saw war, as a Christian I see it everyday inside of me. My flesh-man warring against my spirit-man, as Christians we fight against three fronts. (1) Our flesh that being the “lust of the eye”, “lust of the flesh” and “the pride of life. (2) The world and all that it offers, bigger, better, faster and newer. (3) satan and his host of demons. Trust me he’s out there and he’s real. If you’re not a Christian he pretty much leaves you alone, because if you’re not a Christian he knows he will see you soon enough in hell. If you’re a Christian,,,, game on. He comes to do three things Kill, Steel and Destroy. The bible tells us to “be on guard for your adversary the devil is like a roaring lion looking for whom he may devour”. Don’t misunderstand me when I say he seeks to kill, steels and destroys he can’t kill you, but he can kill a Christians witness steel our joy and destroy our testimony, if we let him but "greater is He who is in us, than he that's inthe world".

One of the best ways for him to do that is to get Christians to think it’s ok to cuss and swear. The unsaved are looking at us to see if this whole Christianity thing is real or are we going to be bible-thumping hypocrites. Well I guess I did just what I said I didn’t want to do, my bad. LOL I hope this helps.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby pappy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:19 pm

i used to cuss and swear. one day i met jesus and i put that part of my life behind me. now when i see people do it i wonder did i
look like that in the eyes of others.

my life has been a transition and i have to say one for the better. but like the apostle paul said.... on my very best day my life is like filthy rags compared to the life of Jesus.

as for the sin part the i have to say that it is on two counts at least.

it bears false witness and if you use the word God or Jesus then you take the lords name in vain. I will pray for you and if you are a sailor in the armed services then i thank you and pray that the lord bless you in your service.

good huntin :thumbsup:
pap
pappy
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 am

I know that none of us are going to really change eachother's mind...I just like thoughfull, intellegent, RESPECTFUL discussions.

They way I see things, it is all on how you personally define concepts. Since no one is responsible for your salvation but YOU, the person you will uintimatley have to answer for is....you.

Taking the Lord's name in vain. What does that really mean? Vain: unsuccessful, foolish, ect. as in "we tried in vain to stop the flood." Taking the Loard's name: Think of the Hebrew cultural meaning. Taking the Lord into your heart/life...living a holy life.

IMO, if you SAY you live a good life, go to Church, put on a good show, ect, but actually live the life of a hypocrite, then you have taken the Loard's name (living Holy and just) in vain (under false pretense)

Another point...intention. How many of you will say "Shoot! Dang! Gosh Darn! ect" Those are really just substitutes for another word....the intent is there. is it not?

It's just an expression (allbeit a low brow and crude) of emotion or frustration. this is a long post. I'll wrap it up. Is swearing ok? not in all situations/environments/audiences. Is it a sin? I say no.

thanks Pap. I was in for 6 years. Combat Medic. AKA "dirt sailor"
Doc
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Once you accept Messiah - you turn 180 and stop doing the things - doing what He teaches you to do.

Messiah doesn't cuss in scriptures so we shouldn't cuss in our lives. It is one way to live separate from the world - as we are called to.

This is something that will gradually happen if you take the first step. He'll take you tongue and train it - if you let Him.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:04 am

If one strives to lead a life in honor of our Lord, I would think that he/she would refrain from, amongst other things, profanity.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality