new job-need your prayers

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

new job-need your prayers

Postby hogjaw » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm

hey fellas im new to the site. I just found this forum and im so excited that it is on here. Thank God that we live in a country that we can have this freedom. Anyway I need your prayers. I was called to be a youth pastor at a new and growing church here in alabama three weeks ago. I dont have any shoes to fill but i do feel like i have to prove myself. anyway i feel like im spinning my wheels because nothing has happened yet. I taught sunday school last sunday and made a mess of it. I had to preach the same day so most of my study went to the sermon and the lesson was out of hebrews so you know that was tough. Anyway i covet your prayers now because i dont even know what to do to get this thing off the ground. pray pray pray. I know i dont know a one of you but we serve a God that is beyond all of that and makes things happen. anybody else had a situation simialar to mine id love to hear from you if so/ Thanks.
Jason
hogjaw
hunter

Postby HotDog » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:10 am

Trust in Him, He will guide you.
Prayers sent.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

storyteller

Postby gracenjohn » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Jason,

I don't know what age group you are looking at, but I have had a wonderful time with Godly Play. I was looking for a way to help out with my daughter's spiritual growth and became a storyteller for her classroom. Give me a holler if you have any questions.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:20 am

You got them :thumbsup: I preached for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'll tell you it ain't easy. It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it gets a little easier. Just get the kids respect, and that will make it a little easier. Back to preaching, I don't know if you've ever taken a college speech class but that helped me alot. I never even thought about preaching until I took that class and realized public speaking really isn't that bad. Preaching to middle and highschoolers kind of made speaking a little harder to me since there is more involved than a grade. I changed my outline about 15 or 20 times until it was done. Anywho, we'll be praying for you and your position. Congrats on the job. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 pm

Jason I’m glad to hear that you’re in the ministry, you’ll be in my prayers. My prayer will be that He gives you the vision for what He wants for your youth group. People will tell you how it should be run and what to do to make it successful. God though, has a vision for the youth in your church. It will be unique what He has for your group. It might be similar to other groups, but not the same. If you spend the time in prayer asking, searching and seeking He will give it to you. It will take on your personality and yours alone. There will be those that will tell you to “buy this packet or program, it promises to make you’re youth group grow in leaps and bounds”. You’ll see some change and growth for a while then it will die a slow agonizing death. Reason being it’s wasn’t Gods vision for your youth.

I took over a junior high group in a non-denominational church once, after coming out of a denominational background. I asked the senior high pastor where my leaders packet was. He told me it was the 9th chapter of Romans. He said if you have been called to teach then teach. MAN did I hit my knees God showed me what he wanted done, before long we out grew where they had us and they moved us across the street to a larger building. They set me up with are own praise group and everything. It was cool seeing Gods vision unfold. I had parents coming and saying what the group meant to their kids. God’s not a respecter of persons, what He did for me He’ll do for you, that is show you what He wants for His youth group. Wait on the Lord and be cool, it will work out great, later Bro. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
Pro Hunter

Postby GADuckaholic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:53 am

Everything said here so far is great! I am not a direct youth pastor, but I work very closely along side ours at my church and i also lead a small group of middle school guys. I can tell you from my experience so far, two of the keys for me have been prayer and relationship building. Prayer is THE most important key for the entire Christian life. It has to be front and center of you ministry. I heard an awesome statement at a conference a few weeks back. The speaker said, "Whatever you build your ministry on, you will have to maintain it with." If you build it on pizza and games then that is what the kids will always think church is about and when you try to get real with them and speak into their lives on a deeper level they will be less likely to listen. If you build your ministry on the Word and prayer then you will see you kids grow spiritually like you could never imagine. Another great phrase that you may know already is, "No one will care how much you know until they know how much you care." You MUST build a relationship with the kids in your group. Care about what is going on, what hurts them, what makes them happy. Sorry this ended up being so long. As you can tell I am passionate about youth ministry!! PM me if you want to talk more about it!
GADuckaholic
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 pm

GADuckaholic wrote:Prayer is THE most important key for the entire Christian life. It has to be front and center of you ministry. I heard an awesome statement at a conference a few weeks back. The speaker said, "Whatever you build your ministry on, you will have to maintain it with." If you build it on pizza and games then that is what the kids will always think church is about and when you try to get real with them and speak into their lives on a deeper level they will be less likely to listen. If you build your ministry on the Word and prayer then you will see you kids grow spiritually like you could never imagine. Another great phrase that you may know already is, "No one will care how much you know until they know how much you care." You MUST build a relationship with the kids in your group. Care about what is going on, what hurts them, what makes them happy. Sorry this ended up being so long. As you can tell I am passionate about youth ministry!! PM me if you want to talk more about it!

Ditto that. Don't worry about length, we all want you to keep us posted no matter how long it takes. Glad it's going well for you. :thumbsup: I'm a youth sponser at our church, and we mix some food in with things. It makes it a little easier for kids to bring friends. Once a month we have a fun night, in my experience if you're serious all the time then kids won't bring their friends. Just see what works for your kids. I'm sure everybody will on here will help you with anything you need. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 pm

hogjaw, how are things going?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hogjaw » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 am

things are going pretty well. I started off my sunday school class with five (counting me and my girlfriend) and this past sunday I had eight counting us and one of my regulars wasnt even there. Im about to start my wednesday night classes and i am hoping to have a good turn out. Im havin a cook out and game night to get things started off. hope we have a good year. And we also had four to join the church sunday so that is good as well. thanks for the prayers.
Thas's better than gettin poked in the eye with a sharp object!!!
hogjaw
hunter

Postby hogjaw » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:49 am

just to update you guys again I had 17 last wednesday night and 12 this week so praise the lord! I have several that are very curious about alot of things.
Thas's better than gettin poked in the eye with a sharp object!!!
hogjaw
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Good to see you're growing. If you keep growing at this rate your group will be bigger than mine. I think we average about 15 give or take a couple each sunday morning.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Faith-Spirituality