Word of the Day, May 18, 2017, Proverbs 14:30

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, May 18, 2017, Proverbs 14:30

Postby timf » Thu May 18, 2017 6:22 am

Word of the Day, May 18, 2017

“ There's a dawn arising on a brand new day. There's a strong wind stirring 'cross the ancient graves. There's a voice that's calling 'will you be set free? There's a change a coming. Let it start in me.”

Proverbs 14:30

30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

Envy: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage.

I would like to ask myself and all of you about envy today. Is it an issue for us? Is it something that controls our thoughts?

Here are a couple of verses that should explain what is wrong with envy and the results of being envious.

Job 5:2: For wrath killeth the foolish man, and envy slayeth the silly one.

Proverbs 23:17: Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

James 4:5: Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

Acts 7:9: And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him,

Romans 1:29-32: Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Envy can slay us and can make us silly. It can make us desire sin or our old selves before we were saved and became a new creature. Envy has caused many of men to do stupid things like selling your brother, family or friend out because we envy them. Envy is listed as a sin right there with murder, fornication and unrighteousness.

Titus 3:2-3: To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. 3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.

So do we hate somebody because we envy what he or she has? Their job, their wife or husband or their children, or that their children turned out perfectly? Their home or money, that they have a nicer car, that they have a bigger boat, a camp or a cottage? Do we dwell on this? If so, then this is what we call envy and can and will destroy us and is sin according to God’s Word.

Do we envy Bill Gates for his billions or some Superstar Sports Player because they make millions for playing a silly game? Do we envy the power of political leaders or CEO’s of companies? Do we envy the famous because everybody knows them? Is this what we are envious of, money, power and fame?

Ecclesiastes 4:4-6: Again, I considered all travail, and every right work, that for this a man is envied of his neighbour. This is also vanity and vexation of spirit. 5 The fool foldeth his hands together, and eateth his own flesh. 6 Better is an handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and vexation of spirit.

King Solomon, a man filled with wisdom tells us this in the above verses that neither the workaholic, nor the lazy fool with receive fulfillment in life: working to have enough to get by with is better than either extreme. His point I believe is that we do not to envy that which we do not really need, rather than what we want, what we desire or what we envy. Just be happy with what God has provided for us.

So please let me share this and understand me when I say this not as a sinful nature but for my desire to understand God and His Word better. What I envy is to be a better man of God, more of a man that knows God’s Words better, more to have the desire to serve God for His glory and more to share His Gospel to everyone.

Oh Father God, I desire to be the man that you want me to become. I desire to lift you up first in my daily life. I desire to serve you, to praise you in all that goes on in my life, to have a stronger relationship with you and to seek your Word so that I grow closer with you and to understand your love, wisdom, lessons and how I am to live for you. Please let me enjoy what you have blessed me with and to love all no matter what their status is and to love those with everything and those with nothing. Father God I ask that I have no respect of a person based upon any of these things. Let me seek you and not what someone else has. I ask all of this in your Son’s beautiful and precise name, Christ Jesus. Amen!

“ All to Jesus I surrender Humbly at His feet I bow, Worldly pleasures all forsaken. Take me Jesus take me now. I surrender all. I surrender all. All to Thee my blessed Saviour I surrender all.”

Timothy P. Furness
timf
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Return to Faith-Spirituality