11%
Rage
25%
Other
20%

Total votes : 145

Re: Favorite Broadhead???

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:19 pm

my favorite are the ones that take hours to make perfect. the ones that are made of flint and your pure skills.

i dont shoot these out of a compound obviously, but this guy here in town makes his own bows out of wood. makes his own arrows and arrow-heads. i have helped him only once, but thats all it takes to see the frustration that happens, skill needed, and patience needed to make these.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby waterfowler20 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:49 pm

I will easily be goin with the muzzys. I shoot the muzzy 4 blades and they are great.
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:18 am

Magnus Stingers! I shoot traditional and I really like the design of this head. Tough as nails too! One thing nobody ever mentions is that they sharpen the BACKS of the blades at the factory. Any old school archers that have shot low speed bows know what I'm talking about. There's not a mech head in the world that will do much damage after the shot it you don't get a pass through on an animal. Use a fixed blade and sharpen the backs of the blades and it can make a BIG difference if you don't pass through on something big like an elk.
mnobles23
hunter

Postby fastloadskill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 pm

The good ole Bears. Use them, retrieve them, sharpen, and use again. Been using the same ones since 1989.
fastloadskill
hunter

Postby doehunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm

100grn Thunderheads here.
I started using them about 15 years ago and just never changed. If they fly different than my field tips, it's so little I can't tell
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Muzzy 3 blades. But I really wanna kill something with the Rage 2 blades, the ones with the obnoxiously large diameter. I've seen carcasses that looked like they had been cleaved open by the Rage. Has anyone else observed this phenomena?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Killed one with them this year. You could stick your hands into the entry hole
duckman27
hunter

Postby AlphaDuck » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:30 pm

1. 3 Blade Rage
2. Magnus Buzz cut

Killed deer with both.

I had difficulty getting the Crimson to hit in the same spot as my target arrows.
AlphaDuck
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I got into bowhunting last year and harvested my first deer this year. I looked at all the different broadheads and thought I'd buy the redhead blackouts I shot them a few times and the things were terrible they weren't durable. Halfway through the year I picked up some thunderheads but I didn't like the way they flew other than that they were great. I did end up shooting my first deer with the thunderhead but I recently have decided to go with Muzzy 4-blades and I couldn't be happier. I will be one of those old veteran bowhunters that swear by muzzys.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby CluckinCrazy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:26 pm

muzzy 4 blade 100grain
WANTED TO BUY
RNT (blackout daisy cutter)
RNT ( Bois D'arc short barrel)
Tim Grouinds Real Thang (gold nugget or butterscotch)
Zink PH-2 or PH-1 (carmel swirl) (copper)
Zink Beanies
LEFT HANDED Athens Archery BUCK COMMANDER Bow
CluckinCrazy
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm

the rages put this guy down in under 20 yards
deeer.jpg

me deer.jpg
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby CluckinCrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:the rages put this guy down in under 20 yards
deeer.jpg

me deer.jpg

nice deer :beer:
WANTED TO BUY
RNT (blackout daisy cutter)
RNT ( Bois D'arc short barrel)
Tim Grouinds Real Thang (gold nugget or butterscotch)
Zink PH-2 or PH-1 (carmel swirl) (copper)
Zink Beanies
LEFT HANDED Athens Archery BUCK COMMANDER Bow
CluckinCrazy
hunter

Postby Bandit29 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:46 pm

SLICK TRICK!!! Just as they say, field point accuracy out of the pack for a fixed blade. No tuning if your bow is tuned right. Tried them after myself and 2 of my hunting partners LOST 3 deer with the Rage heads: 1 bad hit in shoulder at 27 yards, but only penetrated about an inch, blades broke on rib bones on a quartering away shot at 14yards! and arrow did not come out of deer at almost straight down shot at about 10 yards with no blood trail! Tried the Slick Tricks, field point accurate with a fixed blade head= 3 shots, 2 deer and a turkey. Never will believe the hype of the Rage head again. Sure most all broadheads will work, but have never lost a deer, not had a blood trail, not penetrate or had blades break off with any of the fixed blade heads that I have used. I think we owe it to the animals that we hunt to do our part in making a quick humane kill. Some guys have had great success with the Rage or other expandables, but not my cup of tea. Not willing to take the chance of blades breaking off, not opening or other problems with the expandables again. Sticking with what I know works: SLICK TRICK!
Bandit29
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 am

This is a good topic and one I went through last year.

I was shooting 4 blade muzzy's and thought the cutting diameter was weak for less than perfect shots.
So then I decided to spend $40 a box on the Rage because they must produce gaping wounds like on TV. My friend shot a doe and couldn't find her. I shot a doe and watched the blood spray out the other side. That was the only blood found and she was never recovered. I was in Illinios and shot a doe and did not get very good pass through. The entrance wound was nice but thats was it. I LIKE EXIT WOUNDS ON MY DEER. In my semi-pro opinion, you cant re-use them and weak pass through.

I really like the Montec G5 100 grain. Its strong, cuts on contact and has been very good to me. But, you can't go wrong shooting what works for you.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am

I really like the Montec G5 100 grain. Its strong, cuts on contact and has been very good to me. But, you can't go wrong shooting what works for you.[/quote]

Thats what I shoot. Shot two bucks with them this year. One was a double lung shot that went maybe 35 yards and the other one cleaned out the whole boiler room(heart and lungs) and he only went maybe 10 yards. The blood trails could have been followed by a blind man. There were trees with blood all over the side of them just from the deer running by it.
duckman27
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Whitetail...eastman outfitters EXP 100 (I found out that you have to shoot em lengthwise or youll get a pass through :lol3: )
wild hogs...NAP thunderhead 100 (also got a pass through and actually stuck in solid rock, the arrow piled up at the insert and broke, I s*** you not)
black bear...havent been yet, going this fall for the first time and Im taking G5 carbon montecs
carp/gar...AMS sting-a-ree
turkey...gobbler guillotine

Certain situations require certain gear, but I would say that If I had to pick one broad head to hunt all of the above with it would be the Eastman Outfitters EXP 100 (2 blade) Its just that when you go hunting with an outfitter, most of them require fixed blade broadheads thats why I have such a diverse inventory.

The story behind shooting them lengthwise was a quartering away shot (bad decision) that I fouled up big time. I hit the left hind quarter. Discusted with myself and knowing I made a bad decision and a worse shot I left the buck overnight. When I found him he was only 40 yards away from where I shot him, stiff as a board (like hed been laying dead all night) and when I dressed him out I found the arrow. It had completely disappeared into the hind quarter pushing the broadhead clear up into the chest cavity. Killing him within seconds of the shot. I dont know if I owe that to a "12 yard, eye level, with a 73 lb bow" shot or if I owe it to the broadhead but its got my vote. I havent lost one yet that Ive shot with an Eastman. In fact that was the only deer I shot that the arrow hasnt completely passed through.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Shot Rage 2 blades this year and they put deer down. Two things i don't like about them. The Blades come undone very easy like when you nock your arrow they will sometimes come lose and must be reset. Second of all i did not get pass throughs. I prefer pass through. Next year its back to Muzzys. I like the MX3 the best. Parts are readily available they come at a good price and most important they fly true all the way out to 45 for me.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby fallnl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 am

I just picked up some Crimson Crocs by Crimson Talon...First shot at 30 yds I put the damned thing clean through my Block! Tore a spiral hole right through the thing! Had to dig the arrow out of the dirt well behind the Block :grooving: ...I'm only shooting at 55# on my Hoyt... Something has to be said for these things! That was cool...at least from where I'm standing..The ole Block has never failed to stop an arrow for me...And now this... :bow:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 am

G5 Montec. I shot a spooky doe in IL last year. 20 Yds Broadside, at the shot, she spun towards me, broadhead cut from just under chin across leftside facing then buried to the fletching down beneath shoulder blades, breaking spine and dropping her in her tracks. She kicked about three times then dead as stone. Total damage: Slit jugular and windpipe in neck, down through spine.
On another note, I like the Crimson talons except for target practice. Broke alot of blades removing them from targets. They leave one heck of a hole though.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm

for expandable i love rage and my grim reapers but fixed blade i have had good luck with tightpoint shuttle t locks and stinger buzzcuts with the lifetime warranty overall i gotta go with the rage they havent let me down yet.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Muzzy 3 blades. But I really wanna kill something with the Rage 2 blades, the ones with the obnoxiously large diameter. I've seen carcasses that looked like they had been cleaved open by the Rage. Has anyone else observed this phenomena?

Save your money. I went through the same ideas last year and my buddy and I killed 1 deer out of 4. I know somebody will defend them but i have a Mathews that shoots 290 fps with a 450 grain arrow and couldnt get pass thru on a 100 lb doe. He had great pass thru but not a drop of blood. (don't ask me how) I shot a 65 lb doe a little high but still a kill shot and watched the blood spray out when the arrow came out...never found another drop and she ran down a 4 wheeler trail. (only pass thru)

Shoot a $12 rage 1 time and that is it.

I shoot Montec G5 and he shoots the stykers. Any good solid 3 blade is worth the money. I also don't like muzzy 4 blade but that is just me.

If you want a good video look up rage unsensored....they look great, but you will see a lot of arrows break because they dont pass........put a 3 blade anything thru the lungs with a low exit and you will watch that deer die in sight.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I have shot Muzzy 100 grain 3-blade for years. Decided to switch over the the Montec G-5 this last year. They are great. Don't loose them though as they are about $10 each.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:12 pm

muzzy 4 blades, and G5 blades. i had some rages, what a joke im never shooting expandables again!

every deer ive hit with a muzzy 4 blade ive got, and ive had 2 get away while using the rages, might as well be shooting a field point i laugh at the idiots who shot rages :no:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 am

I am going to try the Rage 2 blades this year. Everyone I know who has used them has had good luck with them. If they don't work out the next on my list are Slick Tricks.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:00 am

I only hunt Turkeys with my bow, so my choices are a little different. I have shot gametracker expandables and killed turkeys, but I am going to NAP blood runners with the 2" cut diameter.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Archery