Total votes : 145

Re: Favorite Broadhead???

Postby chinogoose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:40 am

2 blade Rage it gets it done.
chinogoose
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 pm

There is no part of a deers body that a Muzzy won't go through. Most of my bow kills have come from Muzzys, but I have tried (aka killed with) a lot of others as well. Grim Reapers are good, Steelheads are good, most Crimson Talons are marginal, Thunderheads are good, Rockey Mtn Revolutions (not made anymore) were good, NAP Nitrons are good, most Steel Force fly bad, Slick Tricks are awesome.
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby hnt4 food » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 am

G5 is the only way to go,puts them down quick
hnt4 food
hunter

Postby ClintV » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:06 am

Good ol' Pearson Deadheads, or Rothar Snuffer 4 blades with the bleeders filed off. :thumbsup:
ClintV
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Ross Bradley wrote:Montec 85 grain and I sharpen them with a diamond stone. I have killed an elk and 2 deer so far with the same broadhead. They are tough and I love to see how sharp I can get them and it is devistating blood trails I have followed. :thumbsup:

they are sharp from the factory! my friend has a 2in long cut on his hand from slipping when he was putting them on his arrows!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jermilln » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:44 pm

I like the Trophy Ridge ULTIMATE STEEL thats what I took my first elk with this year.
Attachments
P1020404.jpg
First Elk
jermilln
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

I'm really tempted to try the Rage 2 blades. I've seen a couple carcasses that look like someone took a meat cleaver to. Unfortunately I'm broke.

I bought a bunch of muzzy 3 blades years ago and they havent let me down. 3 animals(all whitetails), a combined 40 yards of tracking. All dead within seconds of being shot. IMO the broadhead is one of the least important parts of th set up. Its all about energy and shot placement. If you get that arrow moving with enough energy and it hits the right spot it will push any broadhead into the boiler room. You can talk entry/exit wounds and wound channels all you want, all that matters is leaky lungs. You can follow a great blood trail for miles and not find the anmial, id rather be confident that I hit vitals and have little/no blood to follow.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:46 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I'm really tempted to try the Rage 2 blades. I've seen a couple carcasses that look like someone took a meat cleaver to. Unfortunately I'm broke.

I bought a bunch of muzzy 3 blades years ago and they havent let me down. 3 animals(all whitetails), a combined 40 yards of tracking. All dead within seconds of being shot. IMO the broadhead is one of the least important parts of th set up. Its all about energy and shot placement. If you get that arrow moving with enough energy and it hits the right spot it will push any broadhead into the boiler room. You can talk entry/exit wounds and wound channels all you want, all that matters is leaky lungs. You can follow a great blood trail for miles and not find the anmial, id rather be confident that I hit vitals and have little/no blood to follow.

save your money and keep the muzzys! i wont shoot expandables, let alone the junky rages i got a set for free and i sold them the next day.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby newguy16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:45 am

love the rages they really do put them down :hammer: :beer:
newguy16
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:42 pm

rage 2 blade hands down one of the best heads on the market. killed seven deer so far this season and they are working great as they did on the five i killed with them last season. no comparison on the blood trails between the rage and the muzzys i did shoot.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby JeffW » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Any broadhead will put a deer down, and any broad head you can loose deer with. You can kill a deer with a field tip with a properly placed shot. What I have seen with the rages is that you need a solid broadside shot. If you hit shoulder, it wont go in more than an inch. I have always shot muzzy's, they do not leave the most gaping wounds, but they fly just like my field tips, and can break one shoulder. Its a fact that arrows dont like shoulders. My buddy shoots the grim reapers, the whitetail specials (2" cut). He shot a doe quartering away, and broke something like 9 ribs on the deer. A lot of people I know are switching to the grimp reapers this year, and A lot of people are going back to muzzy's from rages.
JeffW
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 am

Bill Herian wrote:I'm really tempted to try the Rage 2 blades. I've seen a couple carcasses that look like someone took a meat cleaver to. Unfortunately I'm broke.

I did the same thing. Spent over $40 for the Rage and was not impressed. I am a big fan of entry AND DRAIN holes. I strong fixed blade like G5 and Muzzy will do the trick everytime. I can't count the deer that I have killed and reused that arrow because it is in and out before they knew what happened.......the Rage do not get the same ratio of pass thru and that causes a lot of broken arrows. Worthless used Rage and a $10 arrow in the trash = wasted $25.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:24 am

TNDuckHunter1 wrote:I did the same thing. Spent over $40 for the Rage and was not impressed. I am a big fan of entry AND DRAIN holes. I strong fixed blade like G5 and Muzzy will do the trick everytime. I can't count the deer that I have killed and reused that arrow because it is in and out before they knew what happened.......the Rage do not get the same ratio of pass thru and that causes a lot of broken arrows. Worthless used Rage and a $10 arrow in the trash = wasted $25.

same here. my arrow last year after my pass through got stuck 4inches in the gound with my muzzy 4 blades, and the deer feel 35ish yards from where it was shot.

my friend last week shot a nice buck (with a rage) on his land in Iowa, low and be hold it got away! he jumped it up 3 hours later tracking it and it ran away with out leaving a blood trail!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby shawdawg02 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Slick trick for me. Best i have shot to date. Price is great as well.
shawdawg02
hunter

Postby DBAR » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 am

Tru-Fire T1 Love Um!!!!!!!!!!!
DBAR
hunter

Postby duck chaser1990 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:36 pm

I shoot the Muzzy MX-3 and does an awesome job easy to tune with took a cow elk out this year with them
Duck hunting everyday possible
duck chaser1990
hunter

Postby Bigeasy08 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am

Slick trick. Hands down. No discussion. Done.

I have NEVER had a problem with slick tricks. They fly awesome and are the most durable broadheads I have ever used. I have put them through bone, sharpened the blades, and made a pass-through on the next deer i shot. The steel ferrul is the best thing to come onto the market with broadheads as far as I'm concerned...
Bigeasy08
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:46 pm

I have a few slick tricks laying around. I loved how they flew just could never bring myself to replace the muzzy. They certianly have a very faithful following. When I think about those massive shoulderblades on a 230 pound WI buck I just feel a lot better leading with that chisel point on the muzzy than trying to slice bone. I'd rather break it into pieces and let the blades follow into the soft stuff.

After looking at a trial cam pic of a 160 class ten pointer that my buddy shot at I will never shoot a rage. He said "you see that little ruffle on his shoulder? Thats where my broadhead bounced off of him." I told him if that had been a muzzy he'd be showing me a carcass right now. The rage is deavastating if your shooting at jelly. Deer arent made of jelly.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I have a few slick tricks laying around. I loved how they flew just could never bring myself to replace the muzzy. They certianly have a very faithful following. When I think about those massive shoulderblades on a 230 pound WI buck I just feel a lot better leading with that chisel point on the muzzy than trying to slice bone. I'd rather break it into pieces and let the blades follow into the soft stuff.

After looking at a trial cam pic of a 160 class ten pointer that my buddy shot at I will never shoot a rage. He said "you see that little ruffle on his shoulder? Thats where my broadhead bounced off of him." I told him if that had been a muzzy he'd be showing me a carcass right now. The rage is deavastating if your shooting at jelly. Deer arent made of jelly.

sorry for your friends stupidity! :no:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jhend08 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 pm

I love my rage 3 blades. They work wonders on big muleys, if only they would stay closed in the quiver.... Thats the only thing that drives me nuts. Otherwise they are deadly on anything.
jhend08
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm

I shoot the rage two blade 40 KE. They are 1.5" rather than 2" but identical in performance. I practice a lot in the off seasson and have my bow cranked down to 60 lbs. 262 through the crony. Plenty fast to do the job. But the 40 KE require less energy AND most importantly they are $15 cheaper. Fly just like a field point every time. All I will buy from now on.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby RiverReaper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm

G5 Montecs. Strongest broadhead built, you dont have to worry about a blade coming off and slicing you open while you're dressing your animal.
Wyoming Sucks
RiverReaper
hunter

Postby buckshot312000 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

3 blade muzzy 100s...bad to the bone
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
buckshot312000
hunter

Previous

Return to Archery