Bowhunting from the ground?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Bowhunting from the ground?

Postby Bano11 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

i am an avid duck hunter, but i would like to start bowhunting this season too. i would like to spend some time out in the woods and see if i like it before i spend all sorts of money on a treestand. but will hunting from the ground significantly reduce my chances of getting a deer withing bow range? i know i would have to be more scent and movement conscious to say the least, but even with that said, how much harder is hunting from the ground?
Bano11
hunter

Re: Bowhunting from the ground?

Postby FeatherFanatic » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 am

most all the archery hunters where i come from hunt from the ground, we dont sit in a tree fort
R.I.P Dusty miller
You can never have to much money, calls, guns or honey holes
FeatherFanatic
hunter

Postby realtown12 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Hunt the wind, keep still and listen.....that's all it takes, try to find a pinch point on a trail and use the natural cover close by as a blind, maybe a fallen tree or something. Look with your eyes, not your neck. Dont look where you cant shoot. if that makes sense. Good luck and enjoy the outdoors
Let's see what the day brings.
realtown12
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Depends on just how good of a set up you have. If you get one of those double bull blinds deals you can move around pretty good but if you actually out in the woods you'll have to pay close attention to the deer and what around. Plan you draw and watch out for other deer spotting you. If can be done though.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby montana quackhead » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:39 pm

You can definetly do it!! Shot two P & Y that way! :thumbsup: Always check wind. Use trees, bushes, whatever to conceal your ambush. And be patient. With a little luck (luck is where perserverance and opportunity meet), you get some deer from the ground. Also, if you see the deer moving to a certain area, get ahead and wait! That's pretty fun!! :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:45 pm

I took my first bow buck right before thanksgiving. I spent countless hours in the tree fort then I got down and rattled/doe bleated a nice buck into bow range about 9 yards then he jumped back to about 20 trying to figure out what I was (rut-n-kansas-love it). It can be done my friend especially in a nicely camo'd ground blind. Play the wind and try your hardest to rid yourself of human scent.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:05 am

You build ground blinds before the season from natural vegetation. Learn to funnel deer. Have any fences? If so run white cotton string 1' over the fence except for 2 sections which leaves 20' for them to jump over the fence just in that spot. Got thorns or roses bushes? Take a machete to them and cut a trail. The deer will use it. Old broken fences work too. Repair section execpt where you want them to cross.

Learn to draw slow or when you know they looked away. If you shoot traditional learn to snap shoot, but if you do stay conscience of you form as this can destroy your shooting form if you let it.

And the best advice for last. Do you sweat and do yard work? Funk up a shirt every week and take it out and hang it on nail in your blind two month before the season. Change it and add a new shirt every week that smells like you. After two months the deer expect you to be there and you seem to pose no danger.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 am

Welcome to the world of Bow Hunting. Now before you do much of anything, the first thing you need to do is build that addition your going to need to store all the stuff your fixin to buy. :yes:

I guess the question is how much harder it is hunting from the ground than elevated.

My "opinion" is it is harder. How much is relevant. Considerations are your increased visual abilities, easier ability for movements with a close deer, arrow exit "should" always be low which will improve bleed out making tracking easier, deer do not normally look up, but trust me if they think they have something to look for they will look straight up. The downside to tree stand hunting of course is the lack of mobility. But if you've done your homework right you should be set up in the right spot considering the deer's movements with the direction of the wind. The same logic applies when setting up on the ground by the way.

I've been bow hunting them things since 1975, filled my tags every year. Killed some pretty nice ones to over the years. I mostly tree stand hunt, not tree house hunt. We'll use climbers or strap ons. I've killed them in upstate NY, Pennslyvania, Georgia, Virginia, and Texas. I've killed some from the ground using the pop up ground blinds, I've killed them waiting in ambush behind a hay bail, I even killed one on the ground when I was right under my tree stand. I hadn't started up my tree and heard the grunt. I got turned around just in time to knock an arrow and the doe brought him right in front of me ten yards out. (Say good night ****!) :wink:

I prefer being elevated, but where I hunt it's good terrain for tree stand hunting. If your hunting Texas, ground hunting is the norm, or tripod hunting near a feeder.

If you're just starting, I suggest you hook up with someone that' s been bow hunting. You have alot to learn. Too much to put in a posting on this forum.

You've seen a couple of comments regarding wind direction. Wind direction will make you or break you. You'll figure that out after your first Snort!

Good luck. :thumbsup:
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

you don't need a stand but i think it does make it easier because i think it help keep scent out of the area a little better and it keeps you out of their line of sight a little better. but as already said a good ground blind like a double bull helps a lot on the ground we use both for filming but you can kill one sitting on the ground i know guys who have done it but it is much harder than with a blind or a stand. just my .02
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Return to Archery