Fletching

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Fletching

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:49 pm

How hard is it to replace the fletchings? Is is something i could do pretty easily or would i need special tools? I'm assuming i could just take them to a bow shop and have them do it, how much does it normally cost? Thanks, Matt
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Re: Fletching

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 pm

It's not too hard. You will need a fletching jig. Bohning makes one for 30 bucks. It's all plastic and I actually like it. It's what I have at the house. At work we use Bitzenburger's and they're nice, but not work 70 bucks in my opinion. In all honesty I think the Bohning one does a better job. You'll also need some glue. Get the stuff that's kind of like super glue, like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0014534415222a.shtml

That's what we use when we are out of Goat Tuff. The instant bonder it comes with is nice too since you can spray it on there and when it's evaporated the glue is dry. Good for when you have a ton of arrows to do and not a ton of time. The glue will set in about a minute by itself though.

If you go pay to get them done the price will vary. At Gander we charge 2 bucks an arrow (which is dirt cheap for refletching) other places around here charge 6 bucks a piece+ because they don't like doing it. Me, I like fletching arrows. It gives me some down time and is kind of relaxing.-
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:40 pm

$2 bucks? yeah i think i'll go that route haha. I've been wanting to get a new bow and also switch to carbon arrows so i'm trying to spend as little as possible. I've wanted a new bow for several years but just haven't done it yet and every year i lose or break a couple arrows so i'm down to 4 now that i'm trying to make it through the season with and then next year just get it all at one time. Thanks for the info preach!
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm

No problem. If you get a jig and everything and buy raw shafts you'll come out a lot cheaper than buying stuff already fletched. You could pay for the jig with what you'd save on a dozen arrows.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby house » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I have a Jojann single fletching jig that works fine. Definitely buy a jig and some glue as when you get good enough you will start ripping fletching. Not to mention if you wanted to try different fletching size/shape/length ect.
house
hunter

Return to Archery