Using Glow in the Dark

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Using Glow in the Dark

Postby SeaArkDude » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:35 pm

I was looking at an older sight of mine, Savage Pendulum sight, and wondered how the "tritium" worked to keep it lit up at night time. Well after investigation it looks like there is only a luminescent substance under the fiber optic. Explains why the sight would get dull after being in the dark for long periods of time.

Here is the Question: Is it possible to un-ravel my fiber optic on my Trophy Ridge Mantis sight and place glow in dark tape or paint on the metal to serve the same purpose? Currently it has reflective tape underneath the fiber optic strand.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Re: Using Glow in the Dark

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 am

I don't think that an old sight would have Tritium in it. Putting that into things to make them light up at night is a really new concept. Tritium is a radioactive material and has a half life of about 12 years, so you dont' have to put light to it or anything. It just lights up.

As for the rest, I don't know if it will work. I'd just go out and buy a light that's made to go on bowsights. Tru-glo makes a universal one that has adapters to screw in as well as one to just stick on.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kysupernova » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 pm

If your having that much trouble just duct tape a MAG LIGHT to your stabilizer and hunt all night!! :thumbsup:
kysupernova
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:02 pm

The problem lies in that a light used in low light conditions actually hurts you more than helps. It takes away the ability to look past the pin and view detail on the target; therefore a very low key light (glow in the dark) works better. The light helps more during daylight hours and really intensifies the pins if you need it. I shoot a pretty small diameter pin and need the boost sometimes if I'm shooting against something light in color. I guess I was wondering who else has done this and the outcome.

The sight is in fact Tritium, it has just gotten very weak. If it isn't, then someone paid too much for a fake one. I remember back when I got it for a present that it was super bright all day and all night. The person who bought it for me also bought one and said he bought a new one recently because his was dieing. I was wrong stating that it looked like there was some sort of glowing stuff behind the fiber optic, but in fact it is the glue and is illuminated by the pin when the lights are turned off.

If I don't hear any serious "cons" to this doing then I'll be buying some white glow in the dark paint soon and figuring it out on my own.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Return to Archery