Duck Hunting Forum banner

Turkey and small game points/broadheads.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mnobles23 
#1 ·
this will be my 20th season hunting waterfowl. It is big in my family. finally got my first now a couple weeks ago. I purchased a PSE and absolutely love it! I officially have the Arrow Affliction! Wish I would have gotten into archery earlier. Long story short I need some help picking out some tips/broadheads. I I need some small game points for rabbit and squirrel. I will also need something to finish off those spring gobblers. need some experienced advice. My now is set at 70lbs and I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunter with blazer vanes if that helps. Thanks.

#3 ·
I'd recommend Zwicky Judo points, I've used the G-5 Small game head, total crap. broke two in two shots.

I've used the Judo points for years tough as nails.

For broadheads, the world is your oyster. G5 montecs, Strikers, are both good(used the montec myself for several years), Slick Tricks, Muzzy, really I would suggest a solid cut on impact head that flies well for you.

We are opposites, I've been slinging arrows for 20 years, waterfowl hunting for 1.

Kirby

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Always appreciate the feed back.
yea Kirby I have been seeing good reviews on the Judo points. Thanks. I have some Muzzy MX-3 broadheads and they seen to fly pretty good with my setup. Haven't stabbed anything yet but can't wait! Been planning out all kinds of game to take with stick and string! I'm glad I took up this archery thing. Definetly one of my better ideas! Love it!

#5 ·
I use the same broadheads that I use for dear for turkey. I use Grim Reaper Razortips. About the only time I archery hunt for Turkey's is in the fall. Missouri's archery tags includes 2 Deer and 2 Turkey tags, so I just take a shot at whatever is coming by.

If you are just going to be hunting small game and turkey's with your bow, I might consider lowering the draw weight. You don't need 70lbs for a squirrels and turkeys, and often for turkey's you have to hold your draw longer. I don't think 70lbs will hurt anything, but it makes it more difficult to hold your draw waiting for a shot.

#6 ·
Yeah I will be hunting deer more than anything else and hope to feel my near tag to. there is just so much info on big game type broadheads but not so much info on specialty type like for turkey and small game. I've read the Cabelas reviews. They helped.

I know it will probably be a more difficult task taking a Turkey but I'm up for the challenge. I have 80% let-off so I don't think it will be that bad. I've practced some holding for a while but I'm sure its never like the real thing. Ha.

we don't just have archery specific tags. I have a lifetime sportsman license and every year I get all my big game tags. Its the same no matter what weapon. And of coarse archery season last longer than anything else for deer. I usually do most of my turkey hunting in the spring but we do have a fall any sex season.
thanks for the input.

#7 ·
on small game I still use rubber blunts or steel blunts. They work great and they're cheap. A .357 or .38 shell casing slips over a cedar shaft and makes a GREAT blunt tip for cheap. Steel blunts slip through the brush better than a Judo when you're chasing bunnies. IMO

I like Judo points but they can be a mess to get out of an animal if you bury one.

On turkeys just about any broadhead will work. I actually put a plumbing washer on the arrow shaft above the head to keep from passing through a bird. Once it gets to the fletching it stops the arrow and helps cripple/slow the bird. If you hit them just at the top of the drumstick it stops them right there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.