Duck Hunting Forum banner

Archery shop expectations on new bows?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LaRedneck 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting into archery again for the 2010-11 season. I have shot recurves since I started but am considering going to a compound after testfiring a couple over the past few months. Ive test fired three brands, and of those three I like the diamond the best. I still want to fire a hoyt and a matthews before I commit to one brand.

My question is if I purchase a new bow, what should I expect assistance wise from the shop as far as adjusting the poundage, lenght, any other set-up issues I have not included? As I said Ive never been interested into a compound til now.
There is a local shop that seems to have good deals on hoyts, but what would be a good average MSRP for an alpha max 32? I am also not wanting to break the bank..college student on a budget deal...

Anyother issues im not addressing? Thanks for the input

#2 ·
You just spent your hard earned money so you better leave the shop ready to climb up in a tree. Most archery shop folks are good people. But if you worried about price then you looking at the wrong bows. All the top end brands are going to start off around 4 to 5 hundred and by the time you add all the accessories your looking at a 700+ dollar bow.

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with used archery equipment either. Most bows are like computers, when the next versions comes out, the old version isn't worth much. If you buy used, lots of times they come ready to shoot, so you don't have to spend a bunch on accessories.

Everyone goes through this, you gotta have a compound, but don't get rid of your recurve-you'll come back to it someday.

#4 ·
fastloadskill said:
Nothing wrong with used archery equipment either. Most bows are like computers, when the next versions comes out, the old version isn't worth much. If you buy used, lots of times they come ready to shoot, so you don't have to spend a bunch on accessories.

Everyone goes through this, you gotta have a compound, but don't get rid of your recurve-you'll come back to it someday.
:ditto:

If your just getting started used could be the way to go. If you go and buy a brand spankin new, top of the line bow, your easily going to end up with a 1000+ bill by the time you set it up. Remember you need a sight, rest, possibly peep sight, arrows (big bucks there), broadheads, some sort of target to shoot at, possibly a release, it adds up and it isnt cheap stuff. I would recommend buying a year old model. Many bow experts are saying that bow technology is reaching a point of diminishing returns, this years model isnt much better than last years. Buy a bow, get comfortable with it, then upgrade one thing every year, new sight, new string and cable, new rest, limbsaver, anything. After a few years you will have built a great shooting bow that you know you are comfortable with. Good luck!

#5 ·
We always help people out at Gander. Usually don't charge them for anything. That's our shop though. None of them should charge for the initial setup, but I won't charge for anything at all I do to their bow unless they come in treating me like a piece of crap. That's one thing, go in and be good to your tech and they'll bend over backwards for you. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.