Waterfowl with a bow?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Waterfowl with a bow?

Postby drakenstein » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Waterfowl with a bow. An interesting idea I have had for awhile, I have heard of it but I think the source i heard it from.... well you know those guys, if you took a 312 bull elk , u can bet he took a 350 class. if you took a six duck limit of greenheads he did the same but got three bands. You got a 8 point muley he's gonna tell you all about his ten point. JERK. but I was intrigued enough to listen all about duck hunting with a bow from this story teller. So I guess the topic I would like to hear about is, is it sportsmanlike, is it hard, how do u practice for that, can u use a compound, what type of broadheads turkey or small game ones, OR IS IT JUST LUDACRIS AND I BEEN PLAYED A FOOL?
drakenstein
hunter

Re: Waterfowl with a bow?

Postby slowshooter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm

You can do it. Look up an arrow type called a "flu flu" arrow.
The fletching is such that the arrow only flies short distance. Good for kids practicing as well as bird hunting. Both demand you will have to go pick up the arrows.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Yup, just like slowshooter said "Flu Flu's". Make sure you take a lot of them and it's best to use a recurve or long bow. Also it's better if you shoot towards a field than open water, so that you don't lose most of your arrows. You will lose some, but not as many! I have a hard time trying to shoot ducks or geese with a compound and I have not used flu, flu arrows, thus my arrows disappeared in no time (they will go extremely far)! By using the flu, flu's, they will not go as far, thus increasing your chance of getting them back. And yes, you can definitely shoot ducks with a bow! :thumbsup: And pheasants too!
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby NHDrake » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 pm

I have shot one that was on land before. I had my regular broadhead on it. I blew right threw the whole duck and wouldn't you know it the dame thing flew off. I went over to were it was and there was a pile of feathers. So needless to say you really need to use the Flu Flu's.
NHDrake
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

yeah we shoot geese here with reg broadheads goes right through them, they run/fly about 20 ft and die . need to try them flu flu thinges....haha
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:27 am

One of the Zink videos has a few minutes of footage showing a couple guys hunting snow geese with archery equipment...
NRA - Life Member CRPA - Life Member
CWA - Annual Member DU - Annual Member
DW - Annual Member GOA - Annual Member
SAS - Annual Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:11 am

Id be interested to try to shooting one in flight..Would prolly take quite a fiew outings..
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Yep, I am a big flu-flu enthusiast! I have shot ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, and dove in the air with my bow. For all of them I use a flu-flu tipped with a judo point. If you practice a lot on frizbees, tennis balls, clay pigeons, pretty much whatever you can chuck into the air, you can get pretty decent at hitting flying birds. Its a blast, and I recommend any one who has a bow to try it out!
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I'm thinking of bring the bow next season and just ground pound cripples for others.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby lateseasonaddict1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Baymen Guide Service in MA does it..... they are pretty successful from what I hear.... posted their link below. Worth giving them a call....

http://www.baymencharters.com/charters- ... erfowling/
lateseasonaddict1
hunter

Postby RiverReaper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm

I shoot all sorts of birds with a bow, I just use a judo tip on my regular arrows. I've been tossing around the idea of setting up a bowfishing rig for waterfowl.
Wyoming Sucks
RiverReaper
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I shoot flu-flus at them. I use practice tips for ducks and broadheads for geese. I only shoot at birds in flight.
If you shoot at them on the ground, it's basically just like a regular target shoot, what's the point of that.
When I started out, I practiced by having someone throw foam disks from off to the side so I would be shooting at the side to side like many shots you will see in the blind.
I shoot wooden shafts from a recurve and I broke plenty during practice. I shoot instinctive.
You have to really suck the birds in close or they will hear and see the arrow coming(flu-flu are very noisy) and they will backpeddle or just side step the arrow.
Here's a picture my friend took of a shot I took at a greenhead to prove that point.
Last edited by QH's Paw on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:02 pm

I did it last fall and plan to take it more seriously this year :) Of course, this hen was on the water... but with a longbow at ~20 yards I think it's pretty awesome!
Attachments
arrow duck.jpg
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac, 1949
freebird134
hunter

Postby doublecluck89 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:48 pm

i killed a goose with a compound.....RAGE 2.5"....but if you asked me to do it again..lol well i'd tell you not to waste your other 3 arrows in the quiver....yes it did take that many.out of a deer stand..I didnt read to much above. BUt i do believe there is a tv show with some guys shooting FLU FLU arrows with recurves..
doublecluck89
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 am

if it was only 2.5 inches why didn't you just grab it?

if you meant feet then only one ( ' ) would be used.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby freebird134 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:58 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:if it was only 2.5 inches why didn't you just grab it?

I think the 2.5" is the cutting diameter of a Rage broadhead, right?
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
freebird134
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm

freebird134 wrote:
duckkillerclyde wrote:if it was only 2.5 inches why didn't you just grab it?

I think the 2.5" is the cutting diameter of a Rage broadhead, right?

sorry, I read it as raNge not rage. My eyes added the "N" I don't know what rage is when referring to archery
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby freebird134 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote: sorry, I read it as raNge not rage. My eyes added the "N" I don't know what rage is when referring to archery

No worries. They are a brand name of mechanical/expandable broadheads. http://www.ragebroadheads.com/
Aldo Leopold
freebird134
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 am

Check your state regs. some are a little "iffy about shooting broadheads into the air.... I had to quit using the recurve years ago but they are the best bow as most of it is snapshooting. I used to practice on clay pigeons out of a mechanical thrower. I set the spring tension low. I didn't hit a lot but got enough close calls that I was confident I could probably take a bird.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Crossbows might give you a little more accuracy than a standard bow. Might make it easier on you!
jacob321
hunter

Postby corn stubble » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 pm

The boys from Echo calls do it all the time, they always have it on their dvds too. Here is an example :thumbsup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwcbZ_5dwg I'd like to try it with one of my old bows i don't use anymore, but you could not convince me to take my current bow out in the marsh!
corn stubble
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 am

Another hint is to try 6 flech arrows instead of flu flus (legal in ND). They still slow the arrow but don't make quite as much noise.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Our early goose season opened today, and I took a canada with my bow. It was more of a spot-and-stalk hunt :)
Aldo Leopold
freebird134
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:25 pm

freebird134 wrote:Our early goose season opened today, and I took a canada with my bow. It was more of a spot-and-stalk hunt :)

pics? lucky early goose season......
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Last day of early goose was today... one less honker.
Attachments
goose bow.jpg
Aldo Leopold
freebird134
hunter

Return to Archery