Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Scentlok worth the money?

Postby Bano11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:15 am

does it work? sure is expensive...
Bano11
hunter

Re: Scentlok worth the money?

Postby duckman27 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 am

It's too expensive. I use the scent killer spray and have never had a deer wind me. I've hunted on the ground and had them walk 5 feet away from me without them noticing I was there. I'd take the $5 bottle of scent killer over the $200-$300 scent lok suits
duckman27
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm

duckman27 wrote:It's too expensive. I use the scent killer spray and have never had a deer wind me. I've hunted on the ground and had them walk 5 feet away from me without them noticing I was there. I'd take the $5 bottle of scent killer over the $200-$300 scent lok suits

that is pretty much exactly what i was gonna say. i couldnt agree more.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby fallnl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:27 am

Agreed with above...$5 ScentKiller works just fine. Have a buddy that bought a pair of the boots, had em two years and said they don't work anymore. Said they now give off a weird funk, and sit in his closet...Not worth it. :no:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:47 am

Is killing a monster buck worth the effort? There is no such thing as a 100% scent free hunter. ALWAYS check the wind and hunt accordingly. I wear scentlok, but thats just to cover my butt in case the wind happens to swirl. You can play the wind all you want but sometimes the deer just dont come from where you expect them to and the wind doesnt always stay blowing from the same direction the whole time your hunting. Thats where the scentlok comes in. Its just an extra precaution. Any time you can eliminate a possible excuse, do it. The more excuses you eliminate before the hunt the less there is to go wrong during the hunt. Yeah the scentlok is expensive but how many outfits are you planning on buying? I have had the same one for 5 years now and probably will use it for another 5 years. If you take care of it, store it right, and dont wash it too much. You could have it for a while. You may as well splurge.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 am

I purchased some at Dicks Sporting Goods in January that was 80% off. It was a real sale and not the one marked 80% and its still the same price. That is the only reason I bought it. I won't buy it unless it is a great deal like that.

Like some of the others on here, I wash my clothes really well in scent free soap and apply scent killer sprays. I have hunted in several different states over the past years and was NEVER winded (that I know of). Then last year I went to Illinios and you would have thought I put on Aqua Velva before I went out. I was winded non stop. I did see 50x the amount of deer (63 in one day) but I was busted non stop.

I am not sure if they are more sensative or the smell of the soap I used fit the south better but next year I will do something different. I was lucky because it didn't matter. 3-4 would run off and 3-4 more would be moving to the bean feilds. But then again, doe's are one thing and the nose of a big buck is another.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:23 pm

duckman27 wrote:It's too expensive. I use the scent killer spray and have never had a deer wind me. I've hunted on the ground and had them walk 5 feet away from me without them noticing I was there. I'd take the $5 bottle of scent killer over the $200-$300 scent lok suits

I would pretty much guarantee that a deer has winded you although you may not have seen it because it was too far away. I use both but like one of the guys said I've never spent full price on it. Wait for a massive mark down and then get some if you want it.
jrode237
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu May 13, 2010 5:10 am

Maybe because I am 42 and hunted before all this stuff and learned to hunt the wind and not cross over deer trails. I have a piece of marabou feather on my bow and I can see easily which direction the wind in moving. plus I know my area, winds come from the NNW in a cold front, from the west normally and the south on a warm front. It's like clock work. I come in and stay downwind from were the deer will be.

They can't smell up unless you are upwind of them. I got a neighbor letting young guys hunt his place and they stomp it up when gun season comes in and all the deer disappear and they can't figure out why. It's not rocket science, just 2 + 2 = 4
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 13, 2010 11:18 am

Watch an episode of the Crush with Lee and Tiffany Lakosky. They are sponsored by Scentlock, but still won't hunt a stand until the wind is right. This should be telling.

I don't know that it hurts, but playing the wind has always been more effective.

The most interesting tactic I've heard is somebody putting dirty clothes up in the woods and next to food plots. It takes the deer a little while to get used to the human scent, but eventually they do. then you can just wear whatever you want and not give a crap about the wind.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 pm

i agree with what everyone has said i have actually owned some it was terrible it did not work at all. i have had better luck with using sent spray with regular clothes than with scent lok clothes. also mine was older it might be better now but it was real hot for early season and real cold for late season. i would stick with the spray. :thumbsup:
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:The most interesting tactic I've heard is somebody putting dirty clothes up in the woods and next to food plots. It takes the deer a little while to get used to the human scent, but eventually they do. then you can just wear whatever you want and not give a crap about the wind.

thats not that odd. deer in parks always seem tame. even some of the public lands i've hunted, if they are used by nonhunters during the off season, the deer never acted like 'wild'. scent was proably a big factor in that.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

I've read in magazines (I believe it was Field and Stream) that scent prevention (Scentlok clothes and the like) has no proven advantage. I've read online that a study has shown otherwise.

A deers nose is a sensitive of an organ. They have millions of scent receptors on their noses, and it's estimated they can smell 10,000 times better than humans can.

It's not only your clothes that smell, it's YOU!! Using scent preventative soaps and shampoos will work for about 5 minutes, but your body is constantly secreting oils, dropping dead skin cells, hair, etc. These things smell. Not to mention our breath at 4:30 am!! Think deer can't smell the whitening power of Colgate? I bet they can.

Scent reduction products may reduce your chances of being detected, and that may be worth it to some hunters, but I'm not spending a few hundred dollars on just a scentlok outfit alone, not to mention the soaps, sprays, shampoos, gums, etc.

I've hunted on the ground mostly in open orchard like fields and on boarders of fields for about 8 years now, and have only been detected that way twice. Playing the wind right is important no matter what you're wearing.

If someone wants to get that stuff they should. I hear some people say it gives them a mental edge, and it probably gives them a slight real world edge too. But I'll stick with my camo fatigues and rubber boots.
OrangeLake
hunter

Return to Archery