Good bow for a begginer

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Good bow for a begginer

Postby duckfool18 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:39 pm

I've been looking into bows for a few weeks now and one of my buddies is helping me out with everything i should be looking for. I just want to hear about some opinions on bows that you guys have used and that you guys think would be good for a first time bow hunter. Any tips would be great. Thanks.
duckfool18
hunter

Re: Good bow for a begginer

Postby huntall6 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 am

it really depends on what feels right to you. go to dealers and shoot as many as you can. i would recommend a high brace height because they are more forgiving. i am a pse guy myself, only because they have a lifetime warrenty and they fit me well (plus they are reasonably priced and have a lifetime warrenty). most of the companies out there today make a pretty darn good bow so i wouldnt be afraid to try something different. its all in how they feel TO YOU. hope this helps :thumbsup:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby duck$lammer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:37 am

I will say this. For a beginner bow you want one real versatile. you may can pull 70# easy enough, but if you are not used to doing so you will build bad habits(happened to this guy<---) The best advise I received was when an archery God friend of mine lowered my weight real low and made me start all over practicing form again. Man what a difference. The thing about bows these days is alot are so versatile. If you want a good all around forgiving quiet new bow for a cheap price look at the Mission line. Used bows are all over and you can check them to your standards. The big thing to think about is what you want to spend on something that gets beat off of trees and such. just my 2cents
duck$lammer
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:25 pm

What's your draw length? How much can you pull? I like the PSE's as well. If I hadn't bought the High Country Iron Mace a couple years ago I'd definitely be in the Bow Madness XS right now. Like was said earlier, shoot them before you buy. Don't EVER buy a bow without shooting it. :thumbsup: You can't buy a bad bow anymore, unless you get one from Walmart...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntall6 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Preacher1011 wrote: You can't buy a bad bow anymore, unless you get one from Walmart...

Amen :hammer:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm

One that fits
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunt4life81 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 pm

bow :smile: tech !!!!!!!
870 supermag 887 supermag
Duck slayer
BOWTECH
duckhunt4life81
hunter

Postby sixXgun » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:42 am

PSE makes some good bows for a good price
If you have the money I would rec. a BOW TECH
sixXgun
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Depends on your budget. PSE makes good bows but not cheap.
jacob321
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:07 pm

just go to your local sporting goods store and ask they’ll be glad to see you!
jacob321
hunter

Postby mikemac » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I just purchased the Bear Strike from Sportsmens Warehouse. I had never even shot a compound bow. After testing several, then having the bow fitted to me, I am very pleased with it. I took it out today and was able to hit my mark at 40 yards (one out of 10). But the other shots were on the target in 5-10 mph breeze.

Definitely need lots of practice, but nice outfit. I plan on using it for turkey.
mikemac
hunter

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I'd check out the used market first, shoot it for a while and it will help you decide on what you want in a future bow. I bought a used mathews solocam a while back, updated the sights, rest and got a good release... works fine, got into the whole setup including arrows for around 500, most of that being spent on sights and drop away rest.
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm

It's hard to find a beginers bow anymore. Bows with cams and especially extreme cams are not nearly as forgiving as the old roundwheel bows.Tuning of cam bows is more critical than the old roundwheels. I also believe a lower % lettoff is better for a begining shooter. I noticed that guy with bows of 80% lettoff often tend to have their bows set near maximum weight. While the large letoff alows them to easily hold the weight once they get it back they often sacrifice a smooth draw in getting it there. I also think having a draw weight that you can hold back "forever" is counterproductive. I see a lot of guys that start getting sloppy the longer they hold at draw. It's not as much a strength issue as one of concentration and focus. I have always shot at 55# draw weight. I could pull more but I can pull the 55# in virtually any position conceivable and have used that to my advantage many times. My curent bow is 15 years old. It has cams that would probably barely be classified as a cam by todays standards. I have yet to find a newer bow that I like as much as the one I have.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu May 05, 2011 3:04 pm

I didn't read all the previous responses, but there are a lot of good bows out there. Just like a shotgun, the best one for you is the one that fits you the best! :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby jacob321 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Crossbows might be worth looking into. Especially for a begginer!
jacob321
hunter

Postby duck chaser1990 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 pm

I agree with these guys shoot as many as you can find one that you like. I wouldn't say you want a beginner bow because once get comfy and want a new one there hard to get rid of. like it has been said alot of bows are very versitile for starting out and can be used for years. I have the PSE Bow maddness and i love it it is very forgiving without the loss of speed and is fairly cheap opposed other bows but if your not worried and want just a good bow any PSE Mathews Hoyt Bow tech all are great bows the pse was the most affordable for my price range and i love it.
Duck hunting everyday possible
duck chaser1990
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:30 pm

pse stinger. my first bow. round $300 new for bare bow. rated 305 fps. no hand shock, real quiet. great bow I love it and wouldn't have wanted anything else for my first one.
You pay for you!

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:49 pm

X2 - PSE Stinger; after many years of not using a bow this was my 1st investment into a modern compound bow.

For a little over $500 I am fully outfitted with a very user friendly, accurate and reliable product. When I missed a buck (just yesterday) it wasn't the deer OR the bow, it was all me. Perhaps after my fail yesterday, I shouldnt be speaking upon bows... ha ha ha
:lol:

I can't begin to stress the point that has already been stated here ad nauseum - ANYONE considering getting a bow should make certain they get their draw measured.

IMO the ONLY bow one shouldn't buy is fits into the following catergories:
- Out of one's budget
- Hasn't been fitted / measured
* Haven't fired the bow; ALWAYS fire the bow you intend to purchase.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 am

huntall6 wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote: You can't buy a bad bow anymore, unless you get one from Walmart...

Amen :hammer:

Ditto on this one.

I shoot a Mathews Z7. I am a fan of the single Cam.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 am

Whatever you do don't go buy one of those "Begginer Bows" that don't fling an arrow faster then I could without the bow-- :no: --we bought one for our grandson at Cabela's --think it was the Bear brand . Bear Bow oughta be bitch slapped for making those and Fred Bear probally turned over in his grave. A better buy for a begginer would even be a fiberglass recurve for under $50.00 or even better a good used recurve bow for a hundred or so . If your thinking "But he/she can't hunt with That ! I'm thinking they better practise awhile before they go bow hunting. Bow hunting isn't like firearm sports , you have to practise a lot ; for awhile, before your going to get consistant and accurate enough to go hunting . I'd say start hunting rabbits or other small game like I did before hunting bigger game like deer. Another good cheap bow to start with if want to spend a little more and can hunt with it is after awhile would be the Barnett Vortex Bow Package --$149.99 at Cabela's , draw length 21 to 27, draw weight 24 to 45 lbs that would be the minumin poundage I would recomend for deer.

Take Care

Big Muddy
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 am

Check out Mission Archery, they have a lot of great bows.
c14smalls
hunter

Return to Archery