Recurves vs longbows

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Recurves vs longbows

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I shot recurve alot in my youth, although not in years. However ive never shot a longbow. I'm curious, for someone interested in traditional archery, what's the difference between the two types of bows?
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Re: Recurves vs longbows

Postby huntall6 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 am

from what i hear, longbows are slower but more forgiving. at least thats what Byron Furgeson told me :beer:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby Norsky » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:58 am

I have both and the differences I notice are. Longbows handle are straight and require a different hold. The thin profile of the bow limbs and handle make it feel more open. Depending on what brand they tend to not be as smooth to draw back. Now I know there are custom longbows that are real smooth but when running to you local sporting good store and shooting one they tend to have more hand shock and are not as smooth to draw. Dave
Norsky
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Recurves are generally going to be smoother shooting. There is more weight/material in the riser, which absorbs more vibration, leading to less hand shock in the bow.

You also have to look at what you're going to be doing with the bow. If it's going to be used for hunting, bow length may play a factor. Recurves are generally shorter bows, making them easier to maneuver in treestands and brush.
mnobles23
hunter

Postby ClintV » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:28 am

The biggest differences are physical weight and length, (although you can get longbows that are shorter than most recurves, and recurves longer than most longbows)
The grips generally differ, but you can get a high wrist grip on a longbow and a low wrist on a recurve so the grip is pretty much a personal preference thing.
Both longbows and recurves are generally in about the same ballpark speedwise (comparing apples to apples, ya can't compare a top end recurve to a PSE longbow and expect to see the same performance, vice-versa, my custom Morrison ACS longbow will smoke just about any production recurve)

For a beginner, a longer recurve is usually the best bet. It has the length and mass to be forgiving and is generally easier to learn to shoot. The last thing I would advise a learner to pick up is a short, radical reflex/deflex longbow, there is no weight in them, and all short bows are more difficult to shoot well.

I use both for hunting, and have no trouble handling a 62" recurve or a 64" longbow out of a tree stand.
A pop up blind is another story. :no:
ClintV
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 pm

ClintV wrote:The biggest differences are physical weight and length, (although you can get longbows that are shorter than most recurves, and recurves longer than most longbows)
The grips generally differ, but you can get a high wrist grip on a longbow and a low wrist on a recurve so the grip is pretty much a personal preference thing.
Both longbows and recurves are generally in about the same ballpark speedwise (comparing apples to apples, ya can't compare a top end recurve to a PSE longbow and expect to see the same performance, vice-versa, my custom Morrison ACS longbow will smoke just about any production recurve)

For a beginner, a longer recurve is usually the best bet. It has the length and mass to be forgiving and is generally easier to learn to shoot. The last thing I would advise a learner to pick up is a short, radical reflex/deflex longbow, there is no weight in them, and all short bows are more difficult to shoot well.

I use both for hunting, and have no trouble handling a 62" recurve or a 64" longbow out of a tree stand.
A pop up blind is another story. :no:

Thanks for your info. Pretty detail technical...
jacob321
hunter

Postby rhyanca » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 am

Talking to a local bow maker, I was also told that since a recurve has the reflex in the limbs, it generally shoots a little harder. I was told that a 45# recurve and a 50# longbow drawn the same length and shooting the same arrows have about the same power. Just a little detail that I recently learned.
shoot-n-goose wrote:
pgquackstacker wrote:If one of those little weirdos seriously hit me you better believe I would punt the hell outta them.

The only way one could seriously hit you is in the nads. You'd be rolling on the ground while the little gremlin waddles off down the yellow brick road
rhyanca
hunter

Return to Archery