i dont know where to begin......

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

i dont know where to begin......

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:01 pm

HELLO, long time, no post! haha.

anyways ive been out of bow hunting for going on 2 years now, and after seeing a field with some nice bucks, I want to start bow hunting again. I have an OLD PSE Polaris but I didn't take good care of it and i let it sit outside in the heat and cold and im afraid to shoot it. So I am thinking since im getting a new hobby, maybe its time for a new bow. im not sure where to start though. i can get a Hoyt (not sure the model but will find out Wednesday) for 225 bare bow. i could probly get it for 200 if i really talked em down. i could get a Bowtech Tomkat for 300 set up. I can get an older mathews for 250 set up.(also not sure of the model but will find out Wednesday). Im not sure where to begin. Im on a tight budget and have a whisker rest and a sight. So if i have to, i could buy a bare bow.

im going to shoot the Bowtech tommorow because i am really interested in it. If you guys have any other suggestions for me, id LOVE to hear them. because i believe buying a bow is like buying a car. haha

thanks, ILgoose
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: i dont know where to begin......

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 am

ever look at a Quest, Elite, or Bear? i shoot the Quest hammer and it feels so much more natral in my hands and while shooting than a lot of other bows ive shot, and very little hand shock unlike any mathews bow (shorter brace hights, and high speed = hand shock). the Quest Hammer has a littler bit lager brace hight so its much more forgving, and while some will say that hurts speed, but 314fps is pleanty fast for me! its verry smooth while drawing back and during the shot. ive hit an apple target at 30ish yard during a 3d shoot and did awesome at that shoot at that shoot with hammer. my set-up is the hammer, G5 sights, G5 drop away rest, G5 meta peep, D-loop, limbsaver sclincers and carbon express rebel hunters with 100g tips.

but buying a bow is very much like buying a car, test drive test drive test drive!! if it doesnt feel right when you are test shooting it, it will never feel right when shooting it, and make sure it fits you, you dont buy shoes that are 2 sizes too small so why buy a bow with a draw leingth that is 2inches too short?? and a draw leignth that is too short or too long will also hurt how well you shoot.

last shoot i went to a Hoyt carbon matrix won it, Bear assult came 2nd and another Bear 3rd, as well as 2 Quests and 1 Elite in the top 15. but im pretty sure the $1600 carbon matrix is out of your price range, its out of mine as well! the people who spend that on just a bare bow are just plain stupid IMO
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mnobles23 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am

I would suggest shooting all the bows you mentioned to see how they fit you. You don't have to shoot the newest, fastest bow on the market to be successful. Find a bow that fits you, you can shoot well and is quiet. That's really all that you need. Good luck to you
mnobles23
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 pm

thanks guys.

i was supposed to meet the guy with the Bowtech today, but he never showed up and didnt answer my calls. i was looking forward to shooting it. im not sure what i want.

maybe a PSE, im not sure though. ive never bought a newer bow. no newer than 1994. so i dont know much about bows, just whackin' ducks and geese! haha
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

well, i went to the sporting goods store again today and bought me a Mathews today. i believe its a mq1. love it.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby Nabs » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:27 am

I bought a Bowtech Destroyer 350, figure I can have it all equipped and tuned by the end of march. $600 for the bow with 3 pin sight, peep installed, quiver and rest.
Nabs
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Since this thread got dredged up..

Did you shoot anything with your new bow?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 pm

you happy with the Mathews? I love my Mathews and wouldn't really want to shoot anything different!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am

sorry guys! i forgot all about this thread. thanks for the info.

yes i LOVE my new bow. and no, i didn't get to shoot anything with it. i only deer hunted one time this year. i need to start shooting again this summer and hit it hard before duck and goose season come in.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Return to Archery