FPS loss

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

FPS loss

Postby cjc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 pm

I am new to bow hunting and am researching products a lot to determine what would best suit my needs. I have read a lot about pros and cons of a Whisker Buisket. Average cons is that you lose about 5 FPS. Now if an arrow is traveling at 320 FPS and you are shooting at an animal that is 30 yards away, does that 5 FPS really make a difference? It seems that the arrow would arrive at the target about the same time from that distance. Does that 5 FPS give a much better outcome with a lot stronger impact or something?
cjc
hunter

Re: FPS loss

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:20 pm

For a begining archer who wants to limit shots to inside 30yds, I would reccomend a WB. The 5fps should not have any effect. I had a WB on my first bow, they are very practical for someone just starting out.

Once you've been at it awhile and you want to start shooting at 35, 40, 45 yards, I would suggest switching to a drop away. The WB loses its consistency big time beyond 30 yards.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 am

Let's do the math.

3 feet = 1 yard

300 feet = 100 yards

So an arrow that travels 300 FPS can travel 100 yards in 1 second. If you lose 5 FPS then you got an arrow that can travel 98.33 yards per second. First off, you shouldn't try to shoot an animal with a bow that is 95-100 yards away.

Now shooting only 30 yards away, an arrow traveling at 300FPS will get there in 0.3 seconds. That's fast. If you use a WB and lose 5 FPS shooting at 30 yards away, your arrow will get there in 0.305 seconds. Slightly slower right? Screw that, it's just as fast. Really, what's .005 seconds?

Basically, it is just as fast. The whole idea of losing 5 FPS is a bunch of crap. Get the WB if FPS is your only concern.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Cyber Scouter-You're math is good, assuming we are bowhunting in outer space.

You also have to account for things like, well, gravity for instance, which tends to affect an arrows flight, as well as the atmoshpere.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Bill, I can see from your previous post that a WB is good up to 30 yards but can lose consistency after that. That makes a lot of sense. The question though, was about FPS. If my math isn't up to par on Earth's surface, explain how a loss of 5 FPS is a significant factor when shooting past 30 yards. Gravity really won't affect speed and impact that much would it?
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:03 pm

The 5fps won't make a significant difference.

But, when figuring out how fast your arrow gets from point A to point B, you have to remember that your arrow dosent not travel at the same speed throughout its flight, it decelerates through out its flight because it comes into contact with air. An arrow fired at 300fps does not travel 100 yards in one second.

Arrow speed is only half of the equation, arrow weight is more important in my opinion.

Would you rather get hit by a bullet going 60mph or a bowling ball going 60 mph?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby bulldog18 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Most of the bows I have set up only showed no loss or up to 2 fps loss. Don's worry about it the loss is not going to make a difference.
bulldog18
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I agree with Bill, for beginners the whisker biscuit is a great rest. He is correct that you lose alot of accuracy at longer distances. What comes into play is that amount of arrow contact your rest has with you arrow and how that effects accuracy. Thats why I always recommend a drop away that is a contained rest such as a Ripcord or a QAD. But each to their own, hope you find out what fits your needs best.
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 pm

I don't think you'll lose "a lot of accuracy" using one unless you're torquing the bow badly.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Return to Archery