Best luck with brand ---- X bowfishing reel on PSE??

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Best luck with brand ---- X bowfishing reel on PSE??

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am

Just procured another compound bow, after being out of the archery loop a long time.

I've got a fully equipped PSE 2011 Stinger and Im totally satisfied for an entry level bow.

Anyhow im browsing various bowfishing options - please share what brand / make style bowfishing reel & hardware worked best with your PSE Stinger (or similarly built PSE bow). Forgive my ignorance on the matter, used to be an avid and proficient recurve shooter just never got into bowfishing.

I have a spot where there's a ton of carp and I've got a green light to whack em!!
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Re: Best luck with brand ---- X bowfishing reel on PSE??

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:29 am

PM preacher, he'll probably tell you more than you even want to know.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:32 pm

I would not convert a bow like that for bowfishing. Atleast when I go bowfishing its bad on equipment and I would never take my good deer bow out on the water. Me and my buddy Bigbend over on the florida forum murder mullet and sheepshead all day with $60 pawn shop bows. i got a stinger with 70lb draw and if i was pulling back on that all day my shoulder would be wrecked. Old school 90's bows like bear whitetail or whatever work awesome and I don't worry about them getting torn up. Just my 2cents.
You pay for you!

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:06 am

I had high hopes of acquiring another PSE, a much higher end model for deer & other game... Not happening for a while.

So I've started looking into a throw back used bow & you're absolutely right, a pawn shop special or something like that will be more appropriate.

I've been carp fishing my heart out lately (rod / reel) and am intent on sticking some of these pigs. Im probably going to either score an older bow OR the "out of the box" PSE bow fishing combo setup, which has a price range I can handle. Besides archery deer is fixing to open & id be pretty dumb to trash my bow for carp, only to miss out on some deer.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 pm

And I do think you will be glad if you decide Not to use that bow for bowfishing. And another thought, $300 for the stinger rated At over 300 fps. Sure you could spend twice as much or more for something better, but is it nessesary? People used to slay deer with the old used up pawn shop bows your thinking about shooting carp with. Just saying, I think your bow will do the Job just fine.
You pay for you!

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Get a AMS Retriever:

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/index.php/ ... o-kit.html

That's the combo kit, you can also get just the reel, but I'd highly recommend the kit. You won't have arrows kick back at you with the AMS. I've seen it happen a lot with hand winding spools and the Zebcos. The AMS is expensive, but I have everyone fishing with me in an AMS. After they have a couple kick back and have to dodge an arrow, they buy one. I'm about to the place where I won't allow anything else in my boat. You also need a different rest to take the weight of the heavier bowfishing arrow, hence the kit.

I use my old deer hunting bow for bowfishing and have had no problems at all. Just turn it down to 60lbs or whatever the lowest poundage is. I like having the extra weight so I can take longer shots and deeper shots. I've made 25 yard shots with my bow. Also get a set of No Gloves. I don't like shooting a release bowfishing and just using the string without them puts a hurt on your fingers after awhile. If you want more info, PM me. I don't check the archery forum often. I can tell you whatever you need to know, and I'm an archery tech so whatever you need I can help you.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery