Trail cam ?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Trail cam ?

Postby duckschooler » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm looking to get a couple new cams next year and was having a couple different thoughts just thought I'd peck your brains. The things I'd like in a camera are dependability, pic quality (night pics, no motion blur, being able to reach out on the illumination), battery life and price point. I'm willing to pay $150 max and I've been looking at the bushnell trophy cam and the new Moultrie m80. I've been looking on ebay and have found the trophy cam for around the $150 price point and found the m80 for $130. My question is does anyone have any experience with either of these cams or have any other suggestions?
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Re: Trail cam ?

Postby corn stubble » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

We've actually got both of these. Picked them up early this summer, and so far so good. I would have to say that at this point in time I am liking the moultrie M80 better than the bushnell. As far as batteries go they are holding up wonderfully so far and they've been out in the +100 heat. I am looking forward to see how the batteries and cameras hold up when the temperatures drop down really low. The night pics on the m80 have been better as well. The bushnell has taken great night pictures of animals centered in the pictures, but as far as anything in the edges of the photo they have been really dark. If i had to pick between the two I would pick the Moultrie.

I was curious how picture quality would be going to the smaller cameras, but the pictures are much better in my opinion. I know Rogers Sporting Goods had the M80s on sale this weekend for 109.00, might give them a call and see if they are still on sale. I think their full price at rogers is 119 if they are not on sale. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about them I can try to answer them.
corn stubble
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:59 am

Stay away from wildgame innovations. I bought one because it was very cheap and I got what I paid for. While I don't hate the camera, I missed a weeks worth of pictures because for whatever reason it did not save it to the SD card correctly. It is also very slow to take a picture so I'm sure I'm missing more pics of deer walking by. I tried getting pics of myself to test the camera and it was kinda hard to do. I had to walk back and forth and stop and move to get the picture to go off. I just wish I spent a little more and got a bit better quality.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 am

I ended up with the m80 and am not impressed. On the positive side it takes good pics during the day and has great night illumination to reach out there and a pretty good horizontal swath. To the negatives...........there are alot of things I don't like. First thing I noticed is that the laser aim really stunk it up I liked the aim on my older moultrie much better, thankfully I was able to get it close to where I wanted after struggling for awhile and worrying all week until I picked up the card. My other big gripe is my time stamp and temp gauge, I'm not real concerened about the temp not working but the time stamp is a HUGE deal to me I have pics back to back and you can cleary see the time stamp is off with the sun angles and such. One pic back to back almost looks like at least a 2hr difference. Another gripe with my new cam is the nightime pics haven't been as advertised I knew I'd have motion blur and they wouldn't be great but what I've seen in my pics is not what I expected. Also I knew this camera isn't fast, I didn't get it for the sole purpose of setting up on trails I just needed a realiable IR cam to put over bait sites. I have many pics with half a deer, nothing, a nose and etc. I do like the features even though I haven't used them they sound intriguing. So if I had to rate it on a scale from 1 to 10 I'd give it a 5. If I had to do it all over again I would have just spent the extra money and got a bushnell TC.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Return to Archery