Elk calls for archery???

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Elk calls for archery???

Postby shootable Goose » Mon May 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm planning on going elk hunting here in Colorado this year during the either sex archery season. What calls do you guys recommend
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Elk calls for archery???

Postby QH's Paw » Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 am

shootable Goose wrote:I'm planning on going elk hunting here in Colorado this year during the either sex archery season. What calls do you guys recommend

Use a cow call, they work 365 days a year.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 pm

If you are hunting a heavily pressured area, calling can be the kiss of death, especially cow calling. My cousin learned fast in Oregon when he started squeezing his hoochie mama and the bulls would run far and fast.

For public land, I would go silent. After hearing hunter's cow talk year after year those bulls know the differnce.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Bill Herian wrote:If you are hunting a heavily pressured area, calling can be the kiss of death, especially cow calling. My cousin learned fast in Oregon when he started squeezing his hoochie mama and the bulls would run far and fast.

For public land, I would go silent. After hearing hunter's cow talk year after year those bulls know the differnce.

All due respect but, elk run from people that "think" they sound like a cow.
If you really want to see them shut up and run, try a grunt tube and bugle at the wrong place and/or time.
Given the choice between cow talking and bugling, the cow talk has killed more animals in recent years.
I don't consider a hoochie mama something an experienced archery elkhunter would use normally.
Most seasoned vets will use a diaphragm call or mouth type( such as AC-1).
Bottom line is if you don't know how or when to use it, you will be better off silent.
I hear cows and calves talking all the time, all year long. The main time they will be vocal, year round, is when they are split up or gathering to head to their beds.
Bugling season will change all that as cows come into heat/esterus.
In the end, it will really have alot to do with how much pressure the animals are seeing.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I would recommend a nice Barnett crossbow. Plenty of power for hunting elk.
jacob321
hunter

Postby Mallard_Warrior » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Primos red sonic dome, hyperlip single, and deep timber sounds bugle. Sat for an hour and a half call session and had a bull walk in to 18yds and my freezer. And I hunted an OTC unit in Oregon. I always carry a few calls with me. I like to sound like a group of cows and calves with a small bull in the mix. Also remember elk aren't quiet when the walk. Roll some rocks and break some branches.
Mallard_Warrior
hunter

Postby ncramer7 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:25 pm

I agree its good to have a varity of calls if you can use a diafram they seem the have the most productive, you can just get all kinds of sounds out of them. i like the hoochy mamma but in small doses my favorate cow call is the wayne Carlton's call. Unless its close to the rut which is normally twards the end of sept. I dont really call much. Unless you are in some cows than I have had some really good luck doing a frantic cow, call but be ready. But I have got more elk on just spot and stock and never making a peep. so take it for what its worth but iv hunted elk in colorado for 10 years and bow hunted them for 8.
BANG BANG BANG " and don't come back"
ncramer7
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am

Ya I didn't see anything close enough to shoot during bow. Going rifle 4th season either sex! Cant wait
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Archery