5 acres enough to bowhunt?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

5 acres enough to bowhunt?

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Just thought I would see what you guys thought on here. Just recently moved to woodville with my wife and we live on the front side of a 5 acre patch of thick hardwoods not far from the woodville tract of wakulla state forest in florida. see deer running through the neighborhood all the time. was wondering if it wold be a good idea to bow hunt on this piece of small property. 2 open yards are on each side of the property with a road on the third side and my house on the other. I would hate to shoot a deer just to have in run onto someones land in the middle of their 5 year olds birthday pool party and have it die in front of all the kids while they are singing happy birthday, just saying. The yards on either side are rather large and more of a pasture than your typical back yard. The back side with l the road on it is just a small dirt road so I wouldn't be worried about causing an accident. Its wooded on the other side of the road. I shouldn't Have called it a neighborhood. I guess That's makes it sound suburban
Its more country with there being a house each on its own decent sized piece of property. Id said anywhere from 5 to 20 acres. Anyways thanks for telling me what you think.
-justin
You pay for you!

Re: 5 acres enough to bowhunt?

Postby Jeramie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 am

I have seen large deer killed on less..

Keep in mind that deer head for cover when wounded. Ergo they would likely run into the timber V's heading into someones back yard. Just make sure after the shot you stay as quiet as you were before the shot. Also, put a draw in the timber like a mineral/ salt block, stump lick, or if you can plant something do so. That way you take a shot inside the timber. I have shot deer that laid down in sight. Just stay still for 30-45 minutes and give them time to expire.

I would hunt it in a heartbeat if it was available. It likely will have less pressure than most other places.
Jeramie
hunter

Re: 5 acres enough to bowhunt?

Postby huntall6 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:43 am

i would suggest letting your neighbors know that you are going to be hunting and ask for permission to retrieve a downed deer on their property if the situation should arise.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Return to Archery