IBO v.s ATA

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

IBO v.s ATA

Postby Booney3721 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 am

What's the difference? I know PSE and Hoyt use's ATA where as other companies such as bowtech and fred bear and etc etc they us IBO speed ratings.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Re: IBO v.s ATA

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 am

ATA is tested with the same constants every time. 30" draw 70 lbs of pull and 5 grains per pound of pull. Pretty sure of this anyways.
IBO is not a set rule, even though they will generally use the same numbers, however I believe they can test up to like 80 lbs as long as they are still following the 5 grains per inch rule.

In a nut shell, you might be able to make an IBO bow look a bit better by using that test.

I will add that in my personal opinion, neither of these ratings are very realistic. First off, very few archers shoot 30" and we all know that length of draw gains speed.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I've got a 31 1/4 inch draw, pulling 70 pounds but besides the point I was j/c
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Booney3721 wrote:I've got a 31 1/4 inch draw, pulling 70 pounds but besides the point I was j/c

Holy Balls Monkey Arms. Even an old PSE nova would be a speed bow with that draw.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 pm

fishfurlife wrote:ATA is tested with the same constants every time. 30" draw 70 lbs of pull and 5 grains per pound of pull. Pretty sure of this anyways.
IBO is not a set rule, even though they will generally use the same numbers, however I believe they can test up to like 80 lbs as long as they are still following the 5 grains per inch rule.

In a nut shell, you might be able to make an IBO bow look a bit better by using that test.

I will add that in my personal opinion, neither of these ratings are very realistic. First off, very few archers shoot 30" and we all know that length of draw gains speed.

I think you're backwards. I know that IBO is 30" draw at 70lbs with 5 grains per pound. The rest is up to whatever. I've never heard of ATA though. I've heard of AMO, which is much better than IBO. IBO is garbage. They test it with nothing on the string, generally a prong style rest, and no fletchings on the arrows. They can do whatever they want as long as their parameters are satisfied. I'm going to check out ATA though.

You're never going to get the IBO rating. Most people don't have a 30" draw length and everyone has at least a peep and D-loop on their string. My bow IBO's at about 330. I'm shooting a 27" draw at 60lbs and get 265 on the chrono. Don't trust IBO at all.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Here's ATA specs:

Another specification that is gaining some popularity is the ATA (Archery Trade Association) spec. It is very similar, yet much more restrictive with very little leeway in the way the bow has to be setup. For ATA, the bow can be set to 50, 60 or 70 lbs of draw weight with only +-0.1″ variance and a draw length of 30″, +- 1/4″, also with only one nock set on the string. The arrow must be exactly 5 grains per pound of draw weight. Because it is a more restrictive spec, it gives an overall better view of what speeds a bow can really reach.

Still a bunch of garbage. If you want a closer estimate of what you'll get out of a bow use AMO like I said. No company posts AMO speeds though:

A.M.O.
Under this standard the bow being tested will have a maximum pull weight of 60lbs. The arrow will have a grain weight of 540(9 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight). The draw length will be set at 30 inches. The chronograph used for measuring the speed will be placed at point blank range for testing.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
fishfurlife wrote:ATA is tested with the same constants every time. 30" draw 70 lbs of pull and 5 grains per pound of pull. Pretty sure of this anyways.

I think you're backwards. I know that IBO is 30" draw at 70lbs with 5 grains per pound. The rest is up to whatever. I've never heard of ATA though. I've heard of AMO, which is much better than IBO. IBO is garbage. They test it with nothing on the string, generally a prong style rest, and no fletchings on the arrows. They can do whatever they want as long as their parameters are satisfied. I'm going to check out ATA though.

You're never going to get the IBO rating. Most people don't have a 30" draw length and everyone has at least a peep and D-loop on their string. My bow IBO's at about 330. I'm shooting a 27" draw at 60lbs and get 265 on the chrono. Don't trust IBO at all.

I believe we are saying the same thing here or at least what you are saying is what I was trying to convey. I guess i just conveyed it to read wrong. It makes sense to me.

I agree, they are junk measurements. AMO is definitely more conservative and is never publicized. This sucks because it is WAY more realistic.

Edit...... dang it. Your right. I got them backwards. I read my post 3 times thinking there was nothing wrong there. You are right, I transposed the 2.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:31 am

It's all good FFL. It's not a big deal anyway. As long as we agree they are both garbage and companies should use AMO. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blance7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 am

Just to clear things up with the talk on here. And this is 100% true and accurate.

ATA (Archery Trade Assoc.)- Is strict. Exactly 70lbs. an exact 30 inch draw and exact 350 grain arrow. ATA is also shot with fletching or vanes on the arrow and with a D-loop on the string.

IBO- 30in +/- .75(usually +) and shot anywhere from 70-82 lbs with a an arrow that is 5 grains per pound. IBO shoots off the string without a d-loop which is a touch faster and they shoot without fletching or vanes on the arrow which cuts down on drag on the arrow so it is faster.

SO basically when a manufacturer like hoyt says that their bows are getting 330 ATA. It is the most accurate reading you will get because the standards are so strict. Ive actually seen their bows claiming 330 shoot up to 333.(chrono may just be off a tiny bit) when the bow is set up to a certain shooter with a certain arrow weight it will most likely shoot a bit slower but its still the most accurate way to judge what a bow is capable of on the shelf than in IBO terms.

When a manufacturer says they get 330 IBO, or up to 330 IBO, many times that speed isn't attainable to the normal archer. A lot of the numbers come from bows (Not all) are shot at 80 pounds and the manufacturer doesn't specify that. So people buy the bow thinking they will get 340 or 350 and they end up getting the bow set up to them and its shooting 50-60 or more FPS slower and wonder why. also when these bows are tested at 80 lbs they are tested with 80 pound limbs. If you buy a bow with 70lb limbs you will never get that IBO speed with out changing the limbs.

When you are looking at new bows, ask the pro shop to set it up to your specs and shoot it through a chrono. Make sure you know the arrow weight you are shooting because it may be different from what you shoot.
blance7
Newb

Postby Jfarley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Also the way 3d targets are scored
Jfarley
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am

:huh: Who cares how fast it is. As long as the arrow gets to the target thats what counts...............................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote::huh: Who cares how fast it is. As long as the arrow gets to the target thats what counts...............................

This creates a greater range of acceptable error, ie bow shoots flatter so instead if you miss calculate a target at 30 bu it's actually 35 your arrow will not drop out of the kill zone.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Return to Archery