New Bow??

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New Bow??

Postby Mudhole » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:42 am

I've been outta bow hunting for several years now, I've got a Hoyt Super Slam Fast Flight, now while this bow was top of the line 10 years ago, if I start bow hunting again next year, think I need to upgrade!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Re: New Bow??

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Lots of things have happened in the bow industry over the past decade.

PSE stormed the market from near death (Only my opinion),

Hoyt became stale(again my opinion, they just kept reworking the same bow).

The biggest thing that has happened has been the fact that many companies make a quality product these days.

Also, you may consider just tuning your bow up and hunting with it. It would be the cheap alternative and I bet it would work just fine with a new set of string and cables.

I shoot a mathews and have for years. I shot the SQ2 for several years and just upgraded last season.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Mudhole wrote:I've been outta bow hunting for several years now, I've got a Hoyt Super Slam Fast Flight, now while this bow was top of the line 10 years ago, if I start bow hunting again next year, think I need to upgrade!

Why ???? My Golden eagle is 15 years old and kills just as much game as it did 15 years ago when it was new. It probably doesn't shoot as flat as some of the newer bows but it is just as smooth or smoother. And quieter without having to add on stabalizers and vibration dampeners.

Many guys are becomeing slaves to their equipment. Their hunting skill is limited to the limitations of their technology. Take away their technology and many would probably just hang it up.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I'd check out Quest, prime, and Bear bows. I shoot a Quest hammer and love it!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Mudhole wrote:I've been outta bow hunting for several years now, I've got a Hoyt Super Slam Fast Flight, now while this bow was top of the line 10 years ago, if I start bow hunting again next year, think I need to upgrade!

If you like the Hoyt. I would string it, tune it and go hunt. If you want something new, do your homework. There are a ton of options and a lot of them I am not a big fan of. For example, most of the newer bows are real short axle to axle, this makes them less forgiving and more critical to technique. They are faster, but do we need it? I don't. Some bows are having limb breaking issues, do the search. Shoot some friends bows first and see what you think, the newer bows are a new breed. I prefer my 1993 XI Legend Magnum over my 2006 Bowtech which has broken some limbs. Just saying look around.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:06 pm

If there's a bow you really like that's on the market this year, wait a year or two. You can get them new for dirt cheap when companies redo their line-up. You can also find used ones for cheap too from people that want to upgrade. For instance, 2 years ago the Diamond Ice Man was $700. Now, they're on sale for $450. All because companies totally redo their lines and discontinue them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sherlockbonez » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 am

Someone is selling a carbon matrix for 700 here. I would look around and look for one that's a few years old.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 pm

i'd been outa bowhunting for number of years and upgraded to Bowtech Diamond Outlaw ..love it! wasnt even one of the bows i was originally looking for but fell into lap at bargain price. already got a deer with it.
scupbarron
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Check into Mission Archery. They are made by Mathews but without the Mathews price. I have a 2011 Mission Venture and love it. I would definitely go shoot a few different brands and models before making up your mind.
c14smalls
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm kinds leaning towards the Outlaw as well! But wont really start looking till next year!
________Mudhole________
Building a boat blind:
Paintin your boat:
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Mudhole wrote:I'm kinds leaning towards the Outlaw as well! But wont really start looking till next year!

It's a great bow. I sell a ton of them and can't keep them in the shop. Go shoot one before you buy it though. The cam is too aggressive for some people. If you like a smoother bow over a fast bow, it probably isn't for you. Shoot a few, then decide. I like the Black Ice by Diamond more than the Outlaw because it's a lot smoother. Just my preference though, and everybody has their own.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I hate to get shot with any of em i'd say restring and tune one you got if you don't want to let go of the cash. I bowhunt nearly everyday alot of days morning and evening so I wanted something nice. I bought the Z7 and love it. I was looking at a Bow Madness but I shot the Z7 and there is no comparison. IMHO
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:07 am

Anyone have any experience with Elite? Thier Hunter looks pretty sweet!!
________Mudhole________
Building a boat blind:
Paintin your boat:
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 am

Mudhole wrote:Anyone have any experience with Elite? Thier Hunter looks pretty sweet!!

Elite makes a great bow. They make the G5 Primal and I like that bow a lot. My buddy has an Elite that's about 3 years old and he likes it a lot. The founder of Elite was a guy that came up with bows for High Country (I have an '07 Iron Mace and love it). I believe they upset him and he founded his own company.

The cams on the Elites have a steep draw curve, so it's not going to be all that smooth. They're great bows though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 pm

I don't shoot an elite, but have shot a few in passing. There is a few things that I really respect about them.

They sell themselves, there is very little marketing for these bows.

They are relatively simply constructed bows, there are very few bells and whistles on them. They follow the K.I.S.S train of thought and I like that.

The warranty is pretty slick as well being transferable.

They have a respectable price as well in the world of bows.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Had a lil time after before work today, so stopped by the loval BP, saw a Diamond Outlaw on the rack, so, went and shot it a few times! Now the draw was to short but the poundage was about right, 60, so into the range I go. My thoughts.....the bow is rock solid on the shot, very quite and fast, but that one big cam...well lets just say the draw aint very smooth!
They have a Quest, Parker and a Bow Madness that are one my to shott list next time I have the time!
________Mudhole________
Building a boat blind:
Paintin your boat:
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Mudhole wrote:Had a lil time after before work today, so stopped by the loval BP, saw a Diamond Outlaw on the rack, so, went and shot it a few times! Now the draw was to short but the poundage was about right, 60, so into the range I go. My thoughts.....the bow is rock solid on the shot, very quite and fast, but that one big cam...well lets just say the draw aint very smooth!
They have a Quest, Parker and a Bow Madness that are one my to shott list next time I have the time!

If they have quest, they probably have the G5 bows as well. If you like the Elite bows, try out the Primal. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby scupbarron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Mudhole wrote:Had a lil time after before work today, so stopped by the loval BP, saw a Diamond Outlaw on the rack, so, went and shot it a few times! Now the draw was to short but the poundage was about right, 60, so into the range I go. My thoughts.....the bow is rock solid on the shot, very quite and fast, but that one big cam...well lets just say the draw aint very smooth!

i dont find the outlaw draw harsh at all. i'd been outa bowhunting a while and was shooting strikes in no time with it. for what it cost i'm impressed. simple to setup, no pro shop needed. originally was looking for a used bowtech destroyer but the outlaw fell into my lap. lotta new/barely used deals out there if you poke around. they only thing i changed on it was the rest. thing it came with was flimsy and noisey to me, replaced with an NAP Apache dropaway and coudnt be happier
scupbarron
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 am

Well, shot a Quest Smoke, the Redhead Kronik and a Bow Madness, the Smoke was very smooth, fast a quiet! Rhe Kronik was a little less smooth and the Bow Madness was about the same as the Smoke! Cabelas had the Smoke on sale for 399 bare bow, so i ordered one!
While waiting for it to come in, picked up a QAD Pro HDX, G5 Halo quiver, G5 peep, string loops, SVL S coil stab, and a Tru Glo Range Rover sight!
________Mudhole________
Building a boat blind:
Paintin your boat:
Mudhole
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Mudhole wrote:Well, shot a Quest Smoke, the Redhead Kronik and a Bow Madness, the Smoke was very smooth, fast a quiet! Rhe Kronik was a little less smooth and the Bow Madness was about the same as the Smoke! Cabelas had the Smoke on sale for 399 bare bow, so i ordered one!
While waiting for it to come in, picked up a QAD Pro HDX, G5 Halo quiver, G5 peep, string loops, SVL S coil stab, and a Tru Glo Range Rover sight!

sounds like an awesome set-up! you'll be very happy with it!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby joerjoe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 am

Well, shot a Quest Smoke, the Redhead Kronik and a Bow Madness, the Smoke was very smooth, fast a quiet! Rhe Kronik was a little less smooth and the Bow Madness was about the same as the Smoke! Cabelas had the Smoke on sale for 399 bare bow, so i ordered one!

Ill try this out. I think this is really a good one to follow. GOOD LUCK for Me.

Return to Archery