Are mechanicals broadheads really that great?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Are mechanicals broadheads really that great?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:12 pm

You hear everyone praising them yet on the hunting shows they never seem to perfom andy better than a fixed blade. They hardly ever get passthroughs on TV and often the penetration is good but nothing spectacular. Now I see there is a hybred "cut on contact" mechanical, leading me to believe someone was having problems with them. just last night on one of the progarms a mechanical head bounced off the shoulder blade. I have never had that issue with fixed blades.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: Are mechanicals broadheads really that great?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm

NO.

I wont even shoot them. ive seen first had multiple deer that have gotten away because mechanical broad heads didnt open one of them being my friend who shot a rage broad head at a nice buck only to have it bounce of the shoulder.

I shot a deer this year and shattered the shoulder with a Muzzy 4-blade and dropped her on the spot, and every deer ive ever bow killed ive gotten a complete pass through and clean kill.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 am

I've seen exactly what 2500 said.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:28 am

I shoot Grim Reaper mechanicals. I haven't seen one fail yet. I shot a deer a couple weeks ago and it opened as soon as it hit the deer. There were 3 blade cuts on the skin where it entered. After that, it went through the spine, broke 3 ribs and all but about 6" of my arrow exited. That's shooting ~265fps with a 350 grain arrow. That's pretty good. The GR's out penetrate Muzzy's. They advertise that on their site and on youtube, but I've shot both into my target and the GR's out penetrate them.

None of this matters though. Shoot what you have confidence in. If you don't have confidence in your gear, you might as well not shoot. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby spartansfan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm

ill shoot muzzy 4's all day.
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 am

I've bow hunted for a number of years and what I have found is that any broadhead will kill a deer if you hit it in a vital spot. If you shoot them in a non vital spot you have problems. Such as bouncing them off the shoulder blade. sometimes they go through sometimes they don't. Either way about it you missed your intended target. The big reason companies are marketing expandables is because they "fly like field points". If you can't make a fixed broadhead fly like your field points then you or your bow shop does not know how to properly set up and tune a bow! I shoot fixed broadheads and have for a number of years including such names as Red Fury, Missile Spike, Satellite, Razorback, Bear, Thunderhead, Wasp, and Muzzy. After 30 years and only three bows, they all kill deer if hit in the right spot. Expandables are a neat concept and some have great results with them, but I also hear bad reviews. Most are because somebody didn't hit where they were supposed to. I personally wouldn't use them because in bow hunting there is enough things that can go wrong when everything is perfect, why risk a broadhead not opening? To each his own.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:22 pm

any broadhead will kill a deer if you hit it in a vital spot. If you shoot them in a non vital spot you have problems.
+100

I shoot the Rage 2 blades and yes I have killed deer and turkeys with them just have to hit them in the vitals.
chinogoose
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 am

I shoot fixed mx3, but had no problem with the rage I used few years back, but just don't see the point of them. I also dislike the little elastic that I have to make sure they are on properly or one blade would fall out etc.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby Quackin_Archer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Slick Trick Mag 100's are the ticket. :thumbsup:
Quackin_Archer
hunter

Postby scupbarron » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 pm

...good ole thunderhead 125's hard to beat. proven, readily available and tough. used them with 4 different bows, always seemed to fly same as fieldpoints for me too
scupbarron
hunter

Postby swampwise » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 am

2500hdon37s wrote:NO.

I wont even shoot them. ive seen first had multiple deer that have gotten away because mechanical broad heads didnt open one of them being my friend who shot a rage broad head at a nice buck only to have it bounce of the shoulder.

I shot a deer this year and shattered the shoulder with a Muzzy 4-blade and dropped her on the spot, and every deer ive ever bow killed ive gotten a complete pass through and clean kill.

Why are you shooting deer in the shoulder? You really ought not need to worry about how well a broadhead can penetrate bone if you're not shooting at the bones in the first place. Your biggest concern might be a rib, but the structure of a rib allows it to be easily broken by any head, mechanical included.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:23 pm

FWIW I'm still shooting bear broadheads (2 blade with bleeder insert) I have tried a few others and always go back to these. I have had them penetrate over an inch into a frozen tree and only on rare occasions have been able to destroy them. If I do shoot one a couple of strokes with the file and/or stone and they are ready to go again. I have a few that don't hardly have any paint on them anymore.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:00 pm

swampwise wrote:

Why are you shooting deer in the shoulder? You really ought not need to worry about how well a broadhead can penetrate bone if you're not shooting at the bones in the first place. Your biggest concern might be a rib, but the structure of a rib allows it to be easily broken by any head, mechanical included.

I didnt purposely shoot for the shoulder, thats just where it happened to hit at.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jokey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 am

Yes i shoot a mech broadhead, i used to shoot muzzy 3 blades but u can never get them to bleed good. i shoot a 2 blade rage- a my God. it is increadable what they will do. i have shot 4 deer with them, 2 of them i made bad shots. found them in 50 yards of where i shot them. blood was everwhere. so yea, shoot a mech if u want. but i still always got a muzzy or 2 laying around :thumbsup:
jokey
hunter

Postby JoCoShooter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

There are already enough moving and mechanical parts that could go wrong with a bow while hunting anyways and these problems seem to arise with changes in weather and what not. Therefore, I shoot a fixed 3-blade muzzy to cut back on one more moving part and eliminate any possible failures. Never had a problem with them and I have never had one not pass through. I'm shooting a mathews outback 60lb draw 29 inch draw length, muzzy 3 blade 100 grain, 28.5 inch easton st epic 400. But to each his own.
JoCoShooter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I have killed deer with both the fixed and mechanical broadheads. The one I killed with a 3 Blade Rage was a pass through shot and left a pool of blood on the ground. It was a big bodied 8 pt so there was alot of deer for the arrow to pass through. The only issue was that the blades were all bent. The buck I killed with a fixed blade was a double lung and it just walked about 20 yds from my tree and dropped dead. There was not near the amount of a blood trail with this one but it was a double lung and heart which is a dead deer nomatter what kind of broadhead you are shooting.

I prefer fixed blades though. It's aot less to worry about :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby swampwise » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
swampwise wrote:

I didnt purposely shoot for the shoulder, thats just where it happened to hit at.

I don't mean to be an ass, but no broadhead is intended to go through a shoulder. You might get lucky if your bow shoots a heavy enough arrow at a sufficient speed, but if you can't miss the shoulder, your chances of losing hit deer goes way up no matter what broadhead you shoot. Don't blame the arrow when the problem is really the indian.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Considered switch earlier this year, but decided to just stay with what works, Thunder head 100s!!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Takum » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:01 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:FWIW I'm still shooting bear broadheads (2 blade with bleeder insert) I have tried a few others and always go back to these. I have had them penetrate over an inch into a frozen tree and only on rare occasions have been able to destroy them. If I do shoot one a couple of strokes with the file and/or stone and they are ready to go again. I have a few that don't hardly have any paint on them anymore.

I also have shoot this broadhead for years. But have finally ran out of them I bot a case of them back in the day. Now I shoot the Magnus Stinger which is the same just better quality. :beer:
Takum
hunter

Postby baseball_guy_99 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I agree with the person that said shoot what you are comfortable with.

I shoot Muzzy 3 blades. Have yet to not kill a deer I shot at.

On the other hand I have buddies that swear by mechanicals. I have witnessed them kill deer as well.

I stick with the fixed because I that's what I have always shot and that's what I like.
baseball_guy_99
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 am

There not worth it for deer. They work great for turkeys, but for deer they are garbage. I shot a deer with one and only got about 2-2 1/2 inches of penatration (hitting the shoulder blade may have been a factor though)
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

As far as a mechanical bouncing off the shoulder I witnessed my father shoot a doe right in the shoulder with a 4 blade muzzy and it bounced right off it broke the shoulder but absolutely no penetration. So just because someone did it with mechanical doesnt mean they dont work.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 pm

mdfowlman wrote:As far as a mechanical bouncing off the shoulder I witnessed my father shoot a doe right in the shoulder with a 4 blade muzzy and it bounced right off it broke the shoulder but absolutely no penetration. So just because someone did it with mechanical doesnt mean they dont work.

they dont work when they dont open. IMO its one more thing that can go wrong, why not have a fixed blade head that is open all the time and you dont have to worry about it failing to open?

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 am

I shot a young buck with a rage 2 blade last year and will never shoot anything else. It cut a huge hole and made a blood trail like I've never seen. Poor guy barely made it 60 yards.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
mdfowlman wrote:As far as a mechanical bouncing off the shoulder I witnessed my father shoot a doe right in the shoulder with a 4 blade muzzy and it bounced right off it broke the shoulder but absolutely no penetration. So just because someone did it with mechanical doesnt mean they dont work.

they dont work when they dont open. IMO its one more thing that can go wrong, why not have a fixed blade head that is open all the time and you dont have to worry about it failing to open?

People said the same thing about drop aways too. Now nearly everyone shoots them. Some mechanicals suck, just like some fixed blades suck.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Archery