Are mechanicals broadheads really that great?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Re: Are mechanicals broadheads really that great?

Postby waterdogds » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I have shot multiple different fixed blades over the years, but the last 3 years, its been nothing but 2 blade rage. If I had to describe the rage with one word... It would be devastating. I've never shot a deer that wasn't a complete pass through. On more than one occasion the rage was the difference in a kill and a gimp. I'll never go back to fixed blade. But with all that said, if you shoot them in the right spot, any broadhead will do the job.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 am

Check out the Ramcat broadheads cuts a big hole and flies great.
jbshunter
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 am

uploadfromtaptalk1331730088729.jpg

This is the hole the ramcat put. Deer was quartering away.
Given the shaft!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

jbshunter wrote:Check out the Ramcat broadheads cuts a big hole and flies great.

A buddy of mine, made the switch to the ramcats. I have to admit, they are pretty nasty. The only down side I've seen was they were only good for one deer. Each deer he killed ruined the broadhead beyond repair. I don't fix the rage, but I have shot multiple deer with the same rage a handful of times. But its what you like and feel confident shooting. This thread gives me an idea for the fall. We can all post pics of entrance and exit wounds to see what kind of holes these things will make.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:50 am

Not sure what happened with your broadheads. I killed 6 deer with the same head this year and only changed blades. Maybe it was all that dirt and rocks you were hitting after the pass through....lol.
uploadfromtaptalk1331815746545.jpg

Given the shaft!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:55 am

Given the shaft!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:34 am

Here is my thought on this debate..

I shoot a Mathews z7eXtreme and G5 Montec broadheads.. I WILL NOT shoot any other head. 1. they shoot very very well 2. they just plain work. I have seen many deer killed with mechanicals (spitfires, rage, crimson, etc) and i have also seen many deer lost because of mechanicals.. There is just too much room for error with them. Not saying i havent seen animals lost with a cut on contact, but its far less compared to the mechanicals.. A cut on contact is going to do just that, cut on contact no matter what angle or where it enters. Mechanicals on the other hand dont do that. I owe that animal im shooting at everything in my power to make a quick clean effective shot, and personally i will not trust a mechanical. Those G5's make huge blood trails its rediculous!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 am

Shot Thubder 100s for years, starting shooting Slick Tricks this year, also got some of the new NAP Killzones this year!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Previous

Return to Archery