Brief Archery Background

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Brief Archery Background

Postby choclab » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 pm

Just wondering about some back grounds from fellow duck hunters/bowhunters. I hunt deer, elk, bear, cougar, turkey, and varmints with my bow. During the summer I run an archery club that I started last year. I also attend a bunch of 3-d shoots. We put together a 3-D team and have been having a blast.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:36 am

I haven't done any big game hunt outside of deer for those that call that big game but that will all change since i'm in AK now, got a sheep hunt planned and a moose hunt soon. Most of my archery experience has delt with deer, turkey and bowfishing. I am a member of the black sheep archery club on base here, just started so i'm really looking forward to geting into some shooting contest.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:15 am

Been shooting a bow off and on since I was 14. I shoot enough throughout the year to maintain good practice. I hunt whitetail until duck season opens, and during the summer I bowfish a lot. I have also killed several squirrels and a rabbit. We have duck hunted with our bows as well.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby goosecaller » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:51 am

I bow hunt whitetails here in MI. I absolutly love to bow hunt for deer. It is a tough call on a lot of mornings on what to do, ducks or deer. It all depends on the weather. I have also hunted rabbit with a long bow. It is tough but a lot of fun, not much for results, but it is just about getting outside.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:12 pm

:withstupid: In south west Michigan with the low upland numbers it's waterfowl or deer hunting. Hard to pick some days if I go water fowling or bow hunting I like both so much. I usually go with the weather or what's moving the best depending on the time of year.

Sure glad to have the turkeys doing so good. We need another good hunting critter. Hope the grouse start coming back soon.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 pm

This is my 2nd year trying to be able to pull back the 40lb requirement I am almost there. I hope maybe this year or bosibly next I will get to go and actully shoot at something that really moves.
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:34 pm

I use my bows hunting for deer and small game. I got into it seriously about 8 years back, and have since served as an instructor at camps and school groups that we would take on during the off seasons. I've done a couple 3-d Shoots at events, but am not affiliated with any clubs or archery groups aside from a teaching certification from the NAA.
Otherwise I spend as much time as possible down ath teh archery range during the warmer months.

...Haven't bowfished yet, but would like to try this summer.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby choclab » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:43 pm

You gotta try it! I am addicted. I spent most summer evenings chasing carp around.......I got a boat this year.......those carp are in big trouble.

Getting into bowfishing is cheap if you already have a bow. You can buy a little "drum" that fits into your stabalizer hole for really cheap. But the down side is you have to wind the line up by hand. They also make retriever reels with zero drag. When you want to reel it in all you do is pull a trigger and start reeling. Those are a little more $ but well worth the money. They even come with a mount that will fit onto a recurve. PM me if ya want more details. Don't want admin2 smackin me with his big :hammering: ...... :toofunny:

j/k a2 :tounge:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm

Shot bullfrogs, rabbits, squirrels with my 25lb bow I recieved at 10 years old. Graduated to 45lb recurve in my teens and killed whitetail deer, and mule deer with it. Bought a compound bow when I was 30 and killed 2 elk with it as well as 2 more deer. I like to practice at ranges when I can.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 2 tollers » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Whitetail and mule deer. Lots of gopher hunts as well. Have tried for ducks and got a couple. Tried spot and stalk black bear - never got one but had a couple of major heart rushes.
Not enough time for me now with work and dogs. Get out usually for 1 week in October on a combo duck / goose and bow hunt. Shoot birds in the morning and still hunt during the day - pretty enjoyable. Long way from where I used to be - approx 45 days per year.
When I do another Caribou hunt I will try 1 with BP and 1 with the bow.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 pm

I have been shooting for about 4 years now. I shoot a recurve instinctivly. I mainly hunt pheasants and target shoot with it. I also do alot of bow fishing in the summer. As far a deer and turkey I've only gone a couple times for each and havent shot at a deer yet mainly because I shoot all the deer I want during gun season but I have bagged a few turkeys with it.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby jumpshooter » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:20 pm

I hunted mostly deer and fish, I would like to get into 3d shooting and try out the league thing but having trouble finding others who live close to do it with.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
jumpshooter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Chocolab, tell me a little bit more about your archery club. Are you looking for more members?
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Any and all are welcome. We help kids alot too. We are gonna start meeting every other Tuesday I think. PM me for more details.
choclab
hunter

Postby playaxplorer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:53 am

been shootin archery since i was 6. dad was big into at the time, got me a little compound and wooden arrows. i'd shoot at 5 or 10 yds while he shot competition. took a hiatus in highschool and 1st couple of years in college. but picked it back up 5 or so years ago. just deer nothing else. but i'm thinking i wanna shoot me a tom turkey with it next spring.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 pm

i have been shooting for over 10 years not and have taken most of the big game we have here in montana. this year i killed my biggest bull he scored 280 which is not a monster but still nice for me.
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:08 pm

:thumbsup: Congrats on the bull.
choclab
hunter

Return to Archery