Washingtons proposed archery changes

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Washingtons proposed archery changes

Postby choclab » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:57 am

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasonsetti ... 12-054.pdf

They are gonna let guys carry pistols and the 65% letoff rules is no more. I can kinda half *** see having a pistol, for 2 legged and 4 legged bad boys, but I don't understand the not having a letoff rule. I can hold 65% letoff all damn day, it's not that much......plus more than 65% letoff and the P&Y won't let you put your animal in the record books. What are some of your guys' laws regarding letoff, pistols, and arrow weight?
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:37 am

Well i don't want to get into a crazy debate on letoff but i just belive us what you want, kind a like crossbows, yes some states you can't use them at all but if you had a chance to use one would you but thats a whole nuther topic, as far as caring a gun i'm cool with it as long as you don't use it for killing the animal that you are after, only use it for protection, and arrow weight, well use the ones that work for you and your bow.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:19 am

Colorado does not allow handguns during archery season as some folks have seen the need to shoot one with thier pistols and then shove an arrow shaft into the critter. Some of those folks got caught... :laughing:
Ed Wiseman was guiding a elk hunt in the San Juan mountains in 76 and came upon a sow Grizzly...now grizzly bears are protected in this state...him and the grizz had a confrontation and he killed the grizz with an arrow shaft and broad head.....(another reason I like heavy shafted arrows) Now he almost got prosecuted for killing and endangered species..except the fact he took a good beating and there was no evidence that the bear was shot first with pistol or arrow. So if you are to be carrying a side arm and run into a ornery bruin and shoot it with a pistol you could be liable for criminal prosecution in some states. So as far as let off is concerned, I use bows that are 8 to 20 years old so it does not matter to me. But carrying a pistol on an archery hunt could be a touchy issue.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby jumpshooter » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:55 pm

I think that let off should be a personal preferance like you said choc if its over 65% P&Y wont accept it. as far as pistols are concerned if you fell you need that extra protection you should be able to carry I mean come on wouldnt you be able to tell the differance between the exit from the arrow and the pistol. and arrow weight yea there should be a limit because to light and the arrow wont do the proper job on the animal or blow up in the bow on release and that looks painfull.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
jumpshooter
hunter

Postby choclab » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:50 am

Are state says arrows have to be 6 grains per pound of draw weight, with no less than 300 grains total weight. So I have to have arrows that weigh at least 360 grains. Mine are well over that. They lowered it to 300 because women and kids were having a problem making the weight. I am kinda against the letoff thing, because it just makes guys able to hold full draw alot longer. It kinda makes the deer have even less of a chance. And when a guy holds full draw for awhile he loses alot of KE and it also affects his shooting form and shot a little. I could go either way with the pistol. I am kinda worried about some *** just shooting to shoot when he is bored or popping a grouse or something. Less deer for the loud guys. Push em' my way boys.... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Oregon also changed that law this year!! thank God ive been shooting HL for years and i have had no problem with hutting any target or animal it's not that bad of deal really :thumbsup:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby playaxplorer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:56 pm

i really could careless about the let off, i have a 65%, i rarely draw and need to hold more than a few moments anyway. as for the pistol, tx does not allow the carry of any kind of firearm during archery. i disagree with it simply on the premise of the 6 ft rattler's i regularly run into. sure, its rarely an issue of evading them when i do run into em. but imho, the only good snake is a dead one. i like to carry a little .38 loaded with 5 rounds of rat shot for dispatching them.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:56 pm

Oregon allows you to pack any firearm durring season due to the fact that cougar and Bear season are running then to and the seasons are Archery/firearm
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Playaxplorer... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Rat shot is o.k. to me. That is a good idea, then nodody can say that you are hunting/shot your animal with a pistol.
choclab
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:00 pm

they have a test they run if that is a issue they run a black lite over the meat and it shows the lead !!! so it's not realy a big problem!!!!!!!!!!
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:11 pm

Really? I have yet to see one of those.
choclab
hunter

Return to Archery