How far are you comfortable at?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

How far are you comfortable at?

Postby 2 tollers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:05 pm

Just read an article on a new record bear taken with a bow. The fellow had an opportunity that he past on the first year but was willing to take the shot at 60 yds saying he practiced to 130yd. The 2nd year he took the new brown record ranged at 34 yds.

For me I practice to 50 and have a set limit of 30yd for deer although I have taken a moose at 47.
Last edited by 2 tollers on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:17 pm

Kind of a ethics question not sure i was to get into that, but to me anything over 50 yards your just lobbin the arrows in not matter how much you practice that still a stupid shot and 130 yea get a gun morron
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:19 pm

I practice at 90 yards with my dad all the time. We mainly just do it for fun, trying to one up each other all the time. I like shooting at really long distances because it makes the 20 and 30 yard shots easier. My confidence is higher because of the long shooting. I have taken deer at 40 yards before. They were perfect scenarios, no wind, broadside looking away, flat ground, and I was feeling really confident. I don't think I would take a shot any farther than that on deer sized game. Shooting distances are a matter of personal preferance and knowing your limitations. The problem that most people have is not knowing what their limitations are. Guys get buck fever and all they see are horns. They make unethical shots in the hopes of harvesting a trophy. I have been guilty of this before.......you have too. I am comfortable at shooting 40 yards, and even 50 (if all the stars are inline with jupiter...lol), doesn't mean that everybody is. It all comes down to your own effective killing range. If you can cleanly kill an animal at 35 yards then do it. If your effective range is 20 yards then realize that and keep em' under 20.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:36 am

While I was overseas the oriental people shoot long bows at a couple hundred yards at targets the size of small houses. For me 30 yards on Elk, maybe 40 on a deer. After those distances you get no penetration and therefore that is how I find elk and deer wondering around with arrows stuck in em.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby goosecaller » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:42 am

I feel that if I can not get a deer inside of 30 yards then I have not done my job properly and the deer wins that day. Bowhunting to me is about getting the animal in close. Screwing around though, my buddies and I will try out rediculous shots just to have some fun. but I don't really practice anything over 30-35 yards.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby playaxplorer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:00 pm

:withstupid:
For me a big part of the challenge, mystic, and romance of archery hunting is the relatively close distance. If a deer is outside of 30 yards, i see it as a great time to sit back and observe the animals behavior from a great perch in a blind!
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:19 pm

You guys must see a lot of deer then!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:31 pm

i agree around 40 for the big game animals i hunt. i can shoot quite effectively out to 60 but prefer not to. ideally, inside 30 and you can take it to the bank.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:40 pm

i dont think that there is a ethich question because SOME people who dont shoot over 40 yards are considered ethical but they might only shoot 10 arrows before the season and maybe hit the target 5 times call it good and go hunting, where as a peoson who shoots thousands of arrows and can shoot 80-100 yards is considered unethical. i dont have a problem with anyone shooting a hundred yards if they are good enought to do it
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:16 pm

I practice to 65 yd. and can shoot 3" groups or better with broad heads at that range by the opening of deer season, but usually never shoot over 35 yd and only then if everything is just right and I can laser range the animal. I would go 40 as a max range on a white tale and only if the conditions are right and the animal is totally relaxed. I hunt in Michigan but if you hunt in the open areas out west they shoot much longer range. I usually set up so my max. expected range is 25 yd and I like them at 20-25.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:28 pm

7grnhds wrote:ii dont have a problem with anyone shooting a hundred yards if they are good enought to do it
Not at an animal. :pissed:

Shooting at a target at this distance sure, but at an animal, I would hope not. Theres not enough energy at 100 yards. That is why it is unethical.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:53 pm

30yds is about all I'd be comfortable at on an animal. I can get up to about 50 at teh range, but I don't often practice at that distance. OUtside of 30 yards, the comment of just being in a nice place to watch it exactly how I feel.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 pm

C12 - Interesting on what you saw with distance. There was a show on our educational channel with a fellow showing the performance of the English Longbow. He said that every man in England was required to have a bow equal to his height. He brought one out, admitted he shot at the distance before and then put 3 arrows in about a 6 inch circle at 200 yds. He then brought out about 10 people that had little to no experience with bows and had them set up with long bows. At the start they were way off but it did not take long with a little coaching that they were getting very close to and some were hitting the butt.
He then brought out replica Mogol, American Indian and East Indian bows for them to shoot - evetually all were close to the target again.
He had explanations on different arrow heads for penertrating light armor and showed best protection as heavy tanned ox hides. Pretty good show.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Just for fun I will stir the pot a little.

A bow properly set up is capable of long-range accuracy and killing power. Back in the beginning days of modern archery they used to shoot much longer shots than we are taking about. You should all read some of the Bear and Hill stuff to see what shots these legends of archery used to take with much less sophisticated and powerful equipment than we shoot now, and by the way they didn't always hit what they were shooting at.

When I first started hunting I shot a 35 lb. recurve and killed deer at 30 yd. no problem. Now you are telling me my high tech 70 lb. bow with 4 times the speed can't kill a deer at say 75 yd when I can complete shoot through one including a shoulder at 40 yd? I can hardly tell the difference in arrow penetration between 35 yd. and 75 yd. in a 3D target of block. The arrow kills by penetration and that has a lot to do with arrow mass and sharpness of the broad head. The fast light weight arrows and expandable head people shoot now may not penetrate big game well at long distance but the heavy shaft arrow with cut on contact heads are capable of very good penetration at long range and low velocity.

One other fact that many do not understand about long range archery kills is that the average animal is much more likely to react and cause a bad hit at short range than at long range because at long range the spook factory from the sound of the bow is greatly reduced. The reality is that if you can shoot a bow accurately at say 50 yards it is a much safer shot than say 30 yd. because the spook factor is greatly reduced especially on spooky animals like white tails. The arrow has plenty of power at that range and if you can put the arrow on target your set.

Now I don’t condone long range shooting in general, after all I hunt with a bow to get close up and personal, but in capable hands the bow is a long range killer. If you ever plan to hunt antelope, mule deer, sheep or goats you better be able to hit the mark at more than 30 yards or you will probably never get a shot.
thaner
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:21 pm

7grnhds wrote:i dont think that there is a ethich question because SOME people who dont shoot over 40 yards are considered ethical but they might only shoot 10 arrows before the season and maybe hit the target 5 times call it good and go hunting, where as a peoson who shoots thousands of arrows and can shoot 80-100 yards is considered unethical. i dont have a problem with anyone shooting a hundred yards if they are good enought to do it

There is a lot of truth to your statment :thumbsup: I know guys that do just that, go out after shooting a couple of arrows. I like those guys because they usually can't even get close to a deer with a shot. The ones I really worry about are the ones that can hit the target most of the time but most of the time not in the kill zone. They’re the ones that will wound animals most often. The really skilled shooter taking a long range shot within his capability is much less likely to wound. A shooter that is very skilled and has the capability to shoot very long range is most times a very dedicated archer and knows exactly what they are capable of doing and when. When an archer like that says I can make this shot and it's a long one I will put my money on him over about 50% of the archery hunters at 20 yd. because the bottom 50% of archery hunters shouldn’t be in the woods just like the bottom 50% of gun hunters. I know that sound rough but to be honest for every one highly skilled archer or shotguner or rifle shooter I know 10 that can’t hit jack with their weapon of choice.
thaner
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:45 pm

thaner wrote:.... The reality is that if you can shoot a bow accurately at say 50 yards it is a much safer shot than say 30 yd. because the spook factor is greatly reduced especially on spooky animals like white tails. ....

thaner, i agree that the theoretical concept that the bow is plenty deadly enough at 75, 100, 150, etc. yards. however, i have to disagree with the practicality of it. realistically speaking, 30 or 50 yards and the deer is going to react the same way. when he hears that bow, he is going to come out of his proverbial shoes. and that 20 yards difference, even at 300 ft/sec, makes the travel time of an arrow a whopping .5 second flight. that may not sound like much be i'd bet dollars to dimes that in 1/2 of a full second that deer has taken 1 or 2 full steps (that's after the initial lunge). my experience is soley with whitetails and obviously there are going to be factors that affect this like wind, background noise, etc. but the fact remains, under normal circumstances a whitetail would be long gone at 75 yards or 100 yards. of course, i know people have killed them at this range before but i am speaking of averages.

having said that, where the "long range" effectiveness that you're talking about would come into play would be around 150-200 yards. you could probably sneak an arrow into a deer at that range, given you had the skill, without an over-reaction to the initial sound from the deer. like i said, i think the equipment is certainly capable of a lethal shot at that range also...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:17 pm

:withstupid: Hmmmm not an ethics question...
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby playaxplorer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:47 am

casey_714 wrote:You guys must see a lot of deer then!

not necessarily, but its not about "killing" a deer for me. for me archery is about patience and precision, i will wait for him to be within 30 and if he's still coming i'll wait til he's close as possible. with my new bow i've shot 2 deer, neither have been outside of 20 yds, the 1st was a decent 8pt that i stuck at 8 yds.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks guys this is a hot toppic in the hunting trailer where me and the friends meet every week to talk about hunting and drink, but i am going to shoot if it is under a eighty yards, no question maybe not at a elk but deer and lopes for sure.
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:38 pm

As far as distance goes, if you got a range finder, and a pin that's dialed in for the distance, plus the skill it takes to make a long distance shot, it is not impossible to make a 120 yard shot. I personally wouldn't shoot at big game over 80 yards. I feel fairly comfortable taking a 60 yard shot, personally I feel a 45 yard and under shot is optimal. Why people are mentioning 150-200 yard shots, being taken with a bow I have a hard time understanding. A guy would have to be wearing blue spandex and have a red cape to make a shot like that.

Most people have a hard time hitting a stack of hay at 100. I saw a trick shooter bust a balloon with a curve at 150 on his third shot, which shows how diffacult a 150 yard shot is. This is the same guy that can ricochet an arrow off of 2 pieces of plywood and pop a balloon, as well as targets that are thrown in air. :cool:

Here is an great write up on distance shooting: The guy offered a 60 dollar hunting knife to anyone who could make a 90 yard shot, at a buck a try! http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD= ... =461&rfi=9
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby choclab » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:37 pm

I would try it I think. I think you would spend about the same amount of money trying to hit the target (arrows ain't cheap!).
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:37 am

WIDGEONATOR wrote:... Why people are mentioning 150-200 yard shots, being taken with a bow I have a hard time understanding. A guy would have to be wearing blue spandex and have a red cape to make a shot like that.

????

that's mighty presumptuous, isn't it?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:41 am

Are you saying you can make, or have ever made, a 150-200 yard shot on a target? :laughing:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:30 am

Why hunt with a bow if you are going to take shots that are 100 yards? Which I highly doubt is actually happening. That is a long way now matter who you are. I don't want to cause any fights or anything, but shots like that are for guns only. At those distances I have seen people miss with a shotgun. I think it would be pretty tough to pick your spot with a bow and slide an arrow into the heart of a whitetail. But maybe I am not as good of a shot as I thought I was, cause I couldn't make it.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:41 am

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT :withstupid:
You are shooting just fine if you can make a 60yard shot. :thumbsup:
But for hunting purposes you shouldn't take any shot you don't hit near bulls 90%.
Last edited by WIDGEONATOR on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Next

Return to Archery