How far are you comfortable at?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 am

whether i could or not, i am saying i wouldn't have to be wearing blue spandex and a big red cape on my back. in other words, it's not impossible. in typical widge fashion though, if you can't do it, nobody can, right?

as to whether i could hit a target at 150-200 yards, give me 30 minutes and a camcorder and i won't say i can hit a pie plate at that range but i'll show you!

goosecaller, refer to my original post in this thread and you'll see that i don't hunt that far. my 2nd post was merely stating a theory and ol' widge has to always pipe-off about something. oh well, whadda ya gonna do? (shhh...don't tell anyone, but he and i don't get along very well... :laughing: )
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 pm

shrpshtr, I wasn't takin a shot at you or anything. I did read your second post, and I agree. The equiptment probably could take down a deer at that range. I just think that is a crazy shot. No problem here with anything that you have been saying.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:11 pm

I have been fling'in arrows long enough to know that to make a 150 yard shot that you would have to be aiming up at an angle that would make it impossible to use a sight pin, unless of course you mounted a pin as low as you possibly could and then aimed over the target by about 10 feet, which is not really a precision method of aiming. Basically, you would be lucky to even hit the hay bail a target was mounted on, let alone the target. If you read the article on long distance shooting I posted, only 3 people were able to hit the cube the target was mounted on at 95 yards, and no one hit the target. I am not even going to bother going to the 200 yard range, because you would have to lay the target flat on the ground as the arrow would be falling from the sky when it hit. :cool:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm

if you've been fling'in arrows that long then you should be well aware that you don't "have" to use a site pin to hit a target. you could use the end of the stabilizer, part of the forearm, etc. for a reference point. you'd also know that you don't have to lay a target down flat at 200 yards. an arrow will still come down angled even if shot around 60 degrees. as you also know an arrow reaches maximum distance when fired at a 45 degree angle and for a 60lb bow w/125 grain arrows that is around 450-650 yards. knowing all of this you obviously are aware that you could shoot a bow at 25-35 degrees and achvieve a distance of around 200 yards. anyway, i don't know why i am rambling on because you have been sling'in arrows long enough that you knew all of this already.

shrp
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:50 pm

That must be why I can't hit anything at 200 yards!

I haven't been using my protractor to set my bow at 35 degrees, or using my stabilizer for a sight pin. :oops:

I made this diagram to tape onto my quiver so I can be in the 200-600 club. About how many Newtons of Force should I use? :help:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:29 pm

:toofunny: :laughing: :toofunny: Thats halarious....don't forget the gravatiational pull equation.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:39 am

lol!

typical widge fashion! if you can't BS'em into believing you, try and make 'em laugh. all of your smart-aleck comments aside, it's still obvious you know you were wrong!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:01 pm

In typical Sharpshooter fashion, you take everything I say waaaaay, to seriously! I think the topic at hand is how far you would take a shot with a bow. Not how far will an arrow travel. I believe this is a discussion on the practical application of archery equipment, not the theoretical application of archery equipment. I mean theoretically speaking, you could take a shot at a deer on the moon. :eek:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:03 pm

WIDGEONATOR wrote:In typical Sharpshooter fashion, you take everything I say waaaaay, to seriously! ...

my point exactly about the BS. as long as we don't take you seriously it's ok for you to do that. you are the one who brought the "theory" side of this up by talking about having to lay a target flat at 200 yards. you probably don't remember that though...anyway, i'm interested in hearing your "theory" about shooting a target on the moon. how exactly you gonna pull that off...theoretically speaking, of course?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:50 am

I believe the theory came into play when you started talkin about 200 yard shots! Theoretically you could make a 200 yard shot, but in reality most people have a hard time making a 60 yard shot. The laying the target flat commet was a statement that was made to prove how absurd it would be to attempt a 200 yard shot. :yes: And when you ask stupid questions you get stupid answers.
:toofunny:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:20 am

WIDGEONATOR wrote:...The laying the target flat commet was a statement that was made to prove how absurd it would be to attempt a 200 yard shot. ...

at least now you're admitting to your BS. your outright exaggeration of what you know is what got you into this.

Widgeonator wrote:...And when you ask stupid questions you get stupid answers.

now, now! you know the rules. don't start with the insults... :thumbsdown:

again, 200 yard shots are not absurd. they aren't practical in the field on game (imo) but they can be made. i personally wouldn't take a shot that far but we established that early on in this conversation. just because you, and most people (according to you) can't make that shot doesn't make it absurd. think about what you're saying, "most" people can't slam dunk a basketball on a regulation goal or hit a mlb pitcher, but that doesn't make the concept of either of those things absurd or impossible.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:08 pm

I think you are serioulsy dreaming if you think you can make a 200 yard shot! I can't even find anyone talking about the subject of making a 200 yard shot on the internet. :cool:

As far as BS, I think it's BS to say you are capable of making a 200 yard shot.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:45 pm

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Justin Huish, of California, USA, set an archery record for both distance and accuracy when he hit a target 92.35 meters (101 yd) away on the set of Guinness World Records: Primetime in California, USA, on July 9, 1998.

GEEEEEEE, Sharpshooter, seeing how the Guinness World record shot is 101 yards, I am thinking you are going to have a hard time making that 200 yard shot! :hammering:

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:53 pm

We got an All Out Battle going on in this thread :toofunny: :toofunny: :salude:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:56 pm

:umm: getting interesting. Arrows are not the most stable things to shoot. There are WAY too many factors involved to have accuracy at long distances. Any little wind gust will pull your arrow off course. Plus you loss a ton of KE at longer distances. You do how ever gain some KE back after the arrow reaches it's highest point and starts to drop, but you don't get a whole lot back. It is not impossible to shoot 200 yards, it would be damn near impossible to shoot 200 yards accuratly with enough KE to kill cleanly. Longs shot are chancey at best. Any little flaw in shooting form or aiming is exaggerated horribly at longer distances. There was a shoot in Nevada I believe, that had a $50,000 purse for anyone who could shoot a 2 inch bullseye twice at 101 yards. Nobody has ever gotten' it. Distance is not the problem, it's the accuracy and loss of KE.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:14 pm

You havn't tried the new EASTON ICBM's! :toofunny:

They take awhile the hit the target though :hammering:
U know, since they have to go around the earth once before they hit. :yes:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:42 am

WIDGEONATOR wrote:I think you are serioulsy dreaming if you think you can make a 200 yard shot! I can't even find anyone talking about the subject of making a 200 yard shot on the internet. :cool:

As far as BS, I think it's BS to say you are capable of making a 200 yard shot.

i never claimed i could hit a 200 yard shot. i said with enough practice it can be done. don't put words into my mouth...

widgeonator wrote:Justin Huish, of California, USA, set an archery record for both distance and accuracy when he hit a target 92.35 meters (101 yd) away on the set of Guinness World Records: Primetime in California, USA, on July 9, 1998.

GEEEEEEE, Sharpshooter, seeing how the Guinness World record shot is 101 yards, I am thinking you are going to have a hard time making that 200 yard shot!

dude, if you're going to use something in a debate, use all the facts. he hit a bullseye at 101 yards, not a pie plate. there is a huge difference. stop trying to present things in a shaded light to back your pathetic thought process.

either way, you're not going to stop running your mouth no matter how wrong you are so i am done with you on this thread.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:04 am

YOU COULDN'T HIT A FAMILY SIZED PIZZA AT 200! :yes:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 am

shrpshtr wrote:as to whether i could hit a target at 150-200 yards, give me 30 minutes and a camcorder and i won't say i can hit a pie plate at that range but i'll show you!

What are you going to show me? You sound like John Kerry, "I voted for the 87 million before I voted against it". :toofunny:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:15 am

i practice out to 50 but out of a treestand hunting deer 30 is max and i like to keep it inside 25yrds. My friends laugh at me cause im so conservative with my shooting but i never hit a deer that i dont recover. Just remember ur own limits and that out of a treestand in hunting conditions ur form will not be perfect.
WIgunner30
hunter

Previous

Return to Archery