Crossbows

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Crossbows

Postby 2 tollers » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:49 pm

What are the reg's in your areas for crossbows and has anyone used one of these for hunting?
In Canada they are restricted - same class as a pistol. Special licence to purchase one is required.
In Alberta you can not use one during archery season. Only time they can be used is in rifle season which to me is not bad thing. I thought these were distance limited to the same degree as regular archery equipment just easier to use.
Do they have the same penetration? ie higher #'s but smaller mass of the bolt?
Last edited by 2 tollers on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 pm

In Washington State you can only use one during archery season if you are disabled. I think thats the way it should be. Scopes and full draw all the time.... :thumbsdown:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:18 am

Up here you can only use them on gun areas, archery only areas do not allow crossbows, but (most)crossbows shot with the same amount of power as a normal bows, never experimented with different sizes of bolts cuz never wanted to use a crossbow. I grew up knowing that you could only use them if you where disabled so that how i few it everywhere. I can't see the point in killing an animal with a crossbow unless you are disabled of coarse but if you want to kill something with an arrow then use a bow if you want to shot something then use a gun. My 2 cents
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2 tollers » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:41 am

LAredneck First a little clarification - I have no urge to hunt with a crossbow and would not.
We are starting to see more letters from people that want zones opened up for crossbow so the lobby is increasing and there are more of them for sale in stores. Seems like this will be on the discussion table in the future particularly in the zones that are close to high urban areas that do not allow fire arms.
The number of deer / vehicle accidents is very high in some areas and the government is concerned that archery only is not keeping the numbers down. They have opened soem archery zones to shorgun & BP. With some BP rifles now being equal to centre fire single shots I have listened to local enforcement discuss archery, crossbow, shotgun and round ball open sights only. Changes in some of hunting areas could be coming.
There are also people out there that will not have a gun in there house are not willing to put the effort into practice with a bow but would be willing to pick up a cross bow as it is the "easier" way to hunt. I believe change is coming to some of our zones.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:57 am

Not even alowed to own one in NS, as far as I know.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby choclab » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:29 am

Greg Wile wrote:Not even alowed to own one in NS, as far as I know.

Good :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 pm

2 T I didn't mean to come off as preachin to you as that can be dun with writeing instead of saying, If you(the public) want to use crossbow then more power to them. Opening up more zones will diffentally help with the population.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:08 pm

Only disabled and gun season here if I remember correctly about the gun season thing. I didn't check the regs this year for it. I hope to never see it during archery season. All the people who don't really care about archery or spending time getting good with a bow will be out stomping around the woods shooting bolts at everything that moves. Maybe I am over reacting but I don't like the Idea. I don't mind it during gun season and I could live with it during muzzleloader season, but leave bow season to bow hunters. I don't personally think the accuracy or power is that bid of a difference to a skilled archer vs a cross bow but put a scope on a cross bow and have the ability to set still and not have to draw or hold is a huge advantage over a bow.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:36 pm

Shotgun and muzzleloader could be a good alternative to cross bows if they want to get the numbers down but a later and separate season would be best. I hate to see them put any gun it the woods during archery season.

The thing about modern in line muzzle loaders being as good as center fire rifles is all marketing and nonsense. A modern muzzleloader can't come close to a rifle. They can have excellent accuracy and are much cleaner and easier to work with. The modern 12 ga. sabot slugs have more knock down power. All that mag. 45 cal. High velocity stuff is all marketing and you can't hit anything with them at max. loads; that’s why the are going away. I shoot an encore with a high velocity load of 777 and modern high end bullets and it’s center fire accurate shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yd. after a summer of testing and shooting. Most muzzleloader hunters can’t do better than paper plate groups at 100 yd. and that’s average slug gun accuracy. The modern muzzleloader is barley a 200 yd. gun and it takes a lot of work to pull off a 200 yd shot constantly. A good center fire rifle can do 200 yd shots all day. All things considered I would say a good modern muzzleloader with a good shooter and load is about half as good as a rifle.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:02 am

When i was stationed in GA there was a placed that i hunted that would shut down squirrel season for archery season which was awesome but they left dove season open which just happen to screw me once.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:02 am

They are legal during rifle season only, unless you have a disability and apply for special consideration throught the DOW. There are some that have that special privilage but not many.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Archery