Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mathews ?'s

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Evil_McNasty 
#1 ·
I was wondering what type of mathews you guys shoot. Im shoping around for a new bow, and cant decide what to get. I have a draw lenght of 26 1/2, and prefer 50-60. Thanks

#2 ·
How much money you got :toofunny: I have heard alot of good things about the Switchback XL. The price tag is pretty big though.

#4 ·
If thier youth bows are any indicator of the performance of thier other bows, I have to say they are faily well built. Granted, I have seen the Matthews Genesis bows put through a lot of abuse. (Figure around 150 kids firing them each week) the only problems that have arisen are strings being pulled off of the cams.
Were I in the market for a compound I would consider thier bows highly.

#5 ·
i love my mathews q2 and a few of my friends have the new switchback Xt and it is the best bow i have ever shot you cant even feel any kind of shock in you havd when you let the arrow go

#6 ·
I got on the Mathews bandwagon about 10 or 12 years ago after trading bows every couple of years and never really being satisfied with most of the companies out there. A friend had a black max and I tried it and loved it. It wasn't exactly what I wanted so I ended up with the feather XL or something like that. I loved the bow and shot it for about 4 years; it was far and away the best bow I ever had. Never had one complaint and didn't think I would ever get a different bow. I shot a bunch of other stuff over the 4-years. Then I shoot the MQ1 and had to have that bow. I couldn't believe how much better the MQ1 was. I shot that bow about 7 years. I was so happy I swore I would never get a new bow until that one was used up. I shot a bunch of other bows over the years and I liked a couple of the newer bows but not so much I was ready to give up the MQ1, but then I shot the Switchback. Man I can't believe how nice the Switchback is! It is flat out awesome! I can hardly believe how smooth and quiet this bow is. I will never get a new bow! Well, I probably will get another Mathews someday but I can't figure out what they will do next to make a bow that much better than the Switchback. Since I have gone to Mathews I have forgotten what broad head flight issues and general tuning issues are. I tune a new bow and then shoot it for years only having to work on it whey I need new strings and cables. I shoot an average of about 50 arrows a day from May to about November 15 with a few over the winter just for something to do an I have never had an issue with my Mathews bows other than strings and cable replacements.

#7 ·
You can't go wrong with Mathews! A friend of mine owns a bow shop. Every time I go in he has me shoot the latest Mathews. Without a doubt they are the smoothest shooting bows I have ever shot. I hunt with a LX, and LOVE it. Find a good bow shop spend some time with them and set it up right, you will not be disappointed.

#8 ·
i bought :salude: :salude: a mathews switchback xt this year and it is by far the best bow there is, nothing compares. its so fast the deer couldn't get away from an arrow moving over 300fps. i can snap my fingers louder than this bow shoots.
:salude: :salude:

#9 ·
I've hunted with them all over the years. Many Brownings, Onieda, Bear. But my last 3 go like this: MQ32, Q2, Switchback XT. You know where I stand on this.

#12 ·
You may have a point if it was a straight on shot but at 15 yards angled up in a tree, your margin of error increases very much so. I saw an awesome take on that the other day watchin TV, they showed a guy shootin a deer the jumped the string and it did like a marage thing and if the deer was standing still he would have killed it but it ducked and he missed it.

#13 ·
Mathews is a decent bow, but it is still a bow and you still have the human factor that comes into play. I have shot with guys that refuse to shoot anything else on the 3D course. Sometimes they win sometimes they dont. I have also seen some Mathews fans jump ship after shooting the Outback and Switchback and go to a Hoyt. I shot the Outback and don't get me wrong it was a very smooth bow. But there was just something about it I couldn't put my finger on as to why i didn't care for it. Maybe it was because that my trusty Martin is just as good of a bow and just as quiet. Ethier way the bow has to fit the person shooting it. Shooting 300FPS is great if you can get a well place shot off, but i've seen to many times a shooter that has the poundage cranked right up to shoot those speeds cant hold their bow for more then 5 seconds even with an 80% let-off, which is fine for the course because the targets dont generally move. I would rather have the ability to pull back and stay there for as long as it takes for that deer to give me a perfect and sure shot. just my opinion.

#14 ·
Heck yeah, those faster speeds can be problematic for all kinds of reasons. The faster an arrow is going, the worse a fixed blade broadhead will fly. So I agree, you definitely need to get a feel for it before you buy. The main benefit to getting a high quality bow like Hoyt, Mathews, or Bowtech is that you can feel confident in the build. They produce designs with high tolerances and the bows show little variance from shot to shot.

#16 ·
get a PSE, i got mine 3 yrs ago and have only set the sight and everything else once. my dad got his out the other day for the first time in 2 yrs and hit the bullseye at 20 and 30 yrds. also they don't cost much/ i got my bow and a dozen of carbon furies for $277. my draw length is 25 1/4" and my bow will adjust from 50-65 lbs. also i've killed 8 deer with it and a turkey.

#17 ·
duckbuster06 said:
Just for the record an arrow would have to be moving almost three times as fast as 300 fps for the deer not to be able to dodge it. However, my XT is awful quiet, which decreases the chances of a doe jumping the string on ya.
how far are you talkin about. like 40 or 50 yds. cuz if u have deer dodgin 300 fps at a reasonable distance id like to know what yall are feeding them things.

#18 ·
he i'm shootin 275 fps and i shoot muzzy broadheads, they don't fly no diff than a mechanical as long as you get the blades lined up with the fletchings, to do this on an aluminum arrow, heat the shaft right at the insert and use the wrench to turn the broadhead, to do this on a carbon, heat the broadhead not the shaft and turn the broadhead so it lines up with the fletchings. The guy who tunes my bow for me told me this, he was taught how to tune a PSE by one of the company's really high up person, VP or something like that.

#19 ·
Heating carbons to turn the broadhead will only damage the shaft. WHat he he glue the inserts with?

Many people use Easton hot glue for aluminum arrows, which obviously is fine for heating/turning. But the standard for carbons is epoxy. You can't heat that.

If I'm wrong about this, I'd like to know, because I would like to make some changes. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
To my knowledge i do not know of any bow that actually shoots over 300 fps after it is all set up and ready for hunting. The most i have ever seen is around 285. Anyone out there know what their bow shoots at. Ive got a Jennings Buckmaster 2000 and I know i only shoot like 260 give or take. Thats with 340 grain carbon arrows, 70 pound draw weight, 29 inch length, and 100 grain bullet field points.

#21 ·
To get the advertised speed, you are shooting at IBO specs. And when shooting that light weight of an arrow you are pushing the limits of warranty on most bows. You're right, most hunting set ups use a heavier arrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.