New to deer hunting

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New to deer hunting

Postby young pup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Was just looking for some advice on what is a good first bow to get, and money is a little bit of an issue, thanks guys!
64 days until opening day of central illinois duck season!
young pup
hunter

Re: New to deer hunting

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 am

It depends, there are some factors. Like age, height, weight etc.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby chris_k » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:47 pm

You need to go to a few reputable pro-shops and shoot as many bows as you can. You need to be fitted with the bow that "is right for you". Draw length and bow fit is critical. You need to find a bow that, at full draw, will let you anchor comfortably (slight bend in left arm, string and the tip of the nose, corner of the mouth). The draw weight has to be comfortable also. If you strain or jerk to draw the bow, you are pulling too much weight. You don't have to draw 70# to kill a deer. You can do so with 40#.

I would recommend you to do as much research as possible before you invest in a bow. Go to archerytalk and look through the forums. Hoyt, PSE and Elite make good bows.

If you tell me a little bit more information about yourself I can recommend you a few bows that won't break the bank (age, build, height).

Read this:
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

I for example shoot:
1) 2011 Elite Pure, 31" drawlength, 70# draw weight, HHA 5519 pin sight, ripcord code red rest, 12" 14 oz b-stinger stabilizer, carter chocolate light release, easton axis 300 arrows, slick trick broadheads.
2) 2011 PSE Vendetta set similarly
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

x2 on everything said above.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Bobby Duck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Dont get into bow hunting....it will cut into your duck hunting time :lol:
Bobby Duck
hunter

New to deer hunting

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am

^^ agreed lol.. What I did though was I went to a few shops shot bows I was interested in.. Then I checked out craigslist and a few other places that sell used equipment. I ended up getting a fairly new Mathews bow for pretty cheap, and it was perfect. Just a bit of advice.
Coleman24
hunter

Postby TheyCallMeTheBandit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Get a bear Mauler best bow for the price. Or maybe a Martin Onza 3
TheyCallMeTheBandit
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Hoyt makes some good beginners. The Mission's I here are pretty nice and reasonably priced. look on CraigsList. You will find great deals. Even top of the line bows that ppl have never taken out of the box cause they won them at raffles or banquets.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll tell you a secret. I'ts not the bow.... It's the guy behind it.......I started out with a bear blacktail conpound and once I got used to it I could shoot it just as well as my current $400 bow. Wish I still had it.......
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby TheyCallMeTheBandit » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I'll tell you a secret. I'ts not the bow.... It's the guy behind it.......I started out with a bear blacktail conpound and once I got used to it I could shoot it just as well as my current $400 bow. Wish I still had it.......

You've obviously never shot a nice bow.
TheyCallMeTheBandit
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 am

TheyCallMeTheBandit wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:I'll tell you a secret. I'ts not the bow.... It's the guy behind it.......I started out with a bear blacktail conpound and once I got used to it I could shoot it just as well as my current $400 bow. Wish I still had it.......

You've obviously never shot a nice bow.

:lol: :clapping: :lol: :clapping: :lol: :clapping:

Yeah I used to think that way too... Then I stopped bowhunting for 6 yrs. When I got back into it I got a new Mathews Drenalin (since the old one was sitting and would need to be tuned and strings replaced anyway). Like night and day.... Worth every penny (even though I got a smokin deal)! It truly is amazing what you can max your range out at, even if you never shoot at a deer at that range, it is nice to have the confidence. I practice to 60 yds. I will never shoot a deer at that range but it helps with having a tighter group at 40 yds.
The equipment and technology is there, and the price is not astronomical. Use it because it is worth it!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:53 am

Check out this beginners guide to archery equipment. It's very basic and beginner http://wwocz.net/jason-10-must-have-beg ... ery-items/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Return to Archery