New to bows

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New to bows

Postby OzarkHeadHunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm a Missouri transplant and looking at getting into some whitetail bow hunting, but I've never hunted with a bow. I went to the local archery shop today and one of the guys was really talking up the PSE Brute X. Anyone have one or shot one? Pros and cons? Thanks :help:
OzarkHeadHunter
Newb

Re: New to bows

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Find out what you like. Go to the shop, shoot every bow, and go from there. Also look at models that are a couple years old. You can get them cheap and they are just as good as the new ones.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 am

Thats the best adive! Shoot as many as you can, pay attention to the draw cycle, the amount of noice it makes and how it feels at the shot!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

One more bit of advice. Don't get the heaviest draw weight you physically can pull back. Sure the letoff makes them easy to hold back but I've seen a lot of guys struggle to get it back when they are in strange shooting positions common to hunting. You want to be able to draw or relax the bow in one smooth action. The "jerk" resulting from the cam turning over and reducing or increasing the draw weight is often what causes arrows to come off the rest or catch the eye of your game. I shoot 55# and can draw that back under just about any conceivable condition. I'ts really light at times but "never" too difficult. When buying a bow sit down on a chair feet flat on the grownd and draw it back. If it doesn't come back smooth and easy with your feet still flat on the ground it's too much weight. The extra speed and trajectory of a heavier weight doesn't do you any good if at the critical time you can't get it back and/or spook the game in doing so.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby switchbackman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Good advice shot all makes and brands but one thing make sure you get measured for your draw length that is most important. A nother thing most bow companies have a secondary brand that is a little cheaper. Hoyt has reflex. Mathews has mission. Good luck and enjoy the mystical flight of the arrow my friend
I
switchbackman
hunter

Return to Archery