86%
only goose
10%
only duck
5%

Total votes : 21

geese with a bow

Postby 7grnhds » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 pm

what do you guys think? I have seen upland with a bow , but i think i am going to give goose hunting with a bow a shot a few times next year. What about ducks do you think you would have time to draw on a duck that has landed in the water and the jump it and shoot it in the air? man i am going to have fun trying to figure this out
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:23 pm

I want to try too. I got a long bow I am gonna give it a shot with. I am gonna try and shoot when the birds are locked up coming right at me.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:47 pm

Oh yea it can diffentally be dun, i've seen people shoot pheasant before but better start stockin up on arrows :laughing: Goose would be fairly easy if you got'm comin in tight but ducks might give you a good challenge :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosecaller » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:24 am

I would try it with a long bow only. I think a compund would be kind of tricky.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:07 am

I've seen it done on OLN before. Some guys were setup in a field in some blinds (like the ones that you deer hunt in), they actually let them land and popped them on the ground. It was pretty cool. One guy put an arrow right through one and it got up and flew for about 20 yard then dropped like a ton of bricks. It looked like a lot of fun!

:salude:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:48 am

I hunt pheasant wit my bow all the time. Its definatly a blast, I probably have hunted them more with a bow than with a shotgun but I hunt pheasnt maybe twice a year.

I have hunted geese before and they are fairly easy especially if you wait till they are about 3 feet off the ground and they are coming right at you.

Ducks are probably a little toughter, I havent hunted them yet because we dont get to many in our fields like we do with the geese, and I dont was to have to refletch my arrows after every shot when the arrow drops in the water.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:23 am

Just remember, what goes up must eventually come down. Know your backdrop, know your area.

Personnally, I would wait for em to touch down then pop em on the water.
Penguine
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:25 pm

Penguine wrote:Just remember, what goes up must eventually come down. Know your backdrop, know your area.

Personnally, I would wait for em to touch down then pop em on the water.

Ahh.. but thats no fun shooting them off the water while they are still. I'll do that when I go Turkey hunting this spring.

Besides if if your shooting at somthing flying in the air you better be using flu flu's. If not, your going to have some long walks to get your arrows back if you miss (and you will miss alot). A Flu flu will go 100yrds at the most, so usually its not a problem seeing what your background is.

Plus your using rubber blunts. If your using broad heads or field points (unless you hit it in the neck or head which is not likely), Say goodbye to that arrow because it going to be stuck in that goose and that goose wont die untill it flys away a couple miles.(trust me I made the mistake of using one of those field points with a flared out end and that goose flew well out of my sight which was probably about 3 miles)
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:27 pm

Might wanna be sure and check your regs first. I have been told a different story on this issue twice. Three years ago on our first attempts it was said to be legal, and so on for the next year. Then this past year I called just to be sure nothing had changed and WLF said NO it was not in the federal regs. Therfore it was not legal. I dont know just offerin some info.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 am

Ya I've been told both ways also. I still dont know if its legal or not, but aren't those laws are there for two reasons one that it makes it a little more fair to the game and second so that it kills them quickly?

Well shooting them with a bow wont kill them like shooting them in the head or neck with a shotgun will. However if you hit the bird anywhere else with a shotgun the bird isnt going to just fall dead, same way with a arrow. The arrow will knock the bird down but your going to either ring his neck or shoot him again.

Now it is definatly more of a fair chase if you are using a bow and arrow shooting them out of the air than using a shotgun. Thats just easy to see why.

But thats my opinion and if I had the choice I would say its legal.
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Tred Barta shot Geese with a bow. Ive seen Pheasent shot out of the air with a bow. Ducks could be shot with a bow. It just depends on how good of a shot you are.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby jumpshooter » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:28 am

if you practice they will die. any thing is possible so hunting ducks with a bow hell yea just be ready to have very little success if any for awhile.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
jumpshooter
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 am

i know that here in montana you can only have one weapon when you go hunting ducks so it would be with a bow or nothing
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:02 pm

jumpshooter wrote:if you practice they will die. any thing is possible so hunting ducks with a bow hell yea just be ready to have very little success if any for awhile.

Well said. :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Sometimes people really diss me for not shooting hevi on this site. I gotta tell ya when I know the birds will be there. A flu-flu with a broadhead will do the job....I have killed ducks and geese with a muzzleloader and as well with a BB gun....OOPS did I say that????? But you must let them in close and be an instinctive shooter and you may miss a few...but really geese are easier to hit when they are in decoys as they have more target area....ducks can be trickier

C12
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby choclab » Wed May 03, 2006 7:22 pm

A BB gun!? You Colorado kids start young don't ya? :toofunny:
choclab
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Well when you live rural you live rural.....I think I was 8 heee heeee but do not quote me on that...cause I don't rightly remember exactly. :laughing: :laughing: Lets put it this way, it can be done and for those who choose to use more primitive methods...I gotta hand it to ya...
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon May 08, 2006 8:02 pm

:withstupid:
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery