vanes/ blazers VS. fobs

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

vanes/ blazers VS. fobs

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:58 pm

any body see these? I think they are complete BS and a lot of the videos on youtube about them and most look like the guys throw the video on accuracy tests and I just dont think the small area of the 'vanes' on the fobs are enough to control a mid weight and heavier arrow. I've used and seen blazer vanes, stubby vanes, and x-vanes prove them selfs again and again with groups at 20, 30, and even 40 yards with all arrows touching and are extremely accurate.

So what are your thoughts on them? worth a darn? worth switching? are you happy enough with properly fletched vanes/ fleathers you have now?

I think it comes down to if you are confident with your set-up and it's properly set-up, accuracy comes down to the shooter.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Re: vanes/ blazers VS. fobs

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 am

Under perfect conditions it doesn't take much fletching to stabilize an arrow but how often do we have perfect conditions. One has to remember that the more finely tuned equiment the less likely it is to be forgiving of errors in release, winds, or even minor deflections. The only real advantage of small flech is a slight gain in speed.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I use Blazers and know several that use FOB's. I am not a fan of them but have seen pretty good results from those that use them.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 am

I started using the NAP Quick fletch systems!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Jfarley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Blazers. I fletch with the Boieng jib and it flys every broadhead true. I have never used FOB's but dont really like the way they fall off. just my opinion
Jfarley
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi as a bow hunter I’m little too much my wife thinks I’m nuts anyway I tried them on target shooting at 50 yard and you can’t shoot more than tow they group very well and you will end up breaking them I was afraid to take them deer hunting just wasn’t sure I still have them just in case losing a fletch they very easy to install for back up. Again it’s all about you and how comfortable to shoot them they perform and shoot well :wink:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:16 pm

A lot of tourny archers use 1" blazer vanes. Yes, I said 1". I've never seen a FOB in person, and will never use them myself. They look way too easy to break, and if they contact anything, they won't be as forgiving as a vane. I don't see how they'd clear any containment drop away. I'm just not a fan. Seen the vids, but I'm not buying in.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 am

Preacher1011 wrote:A lot of tourny archers use 1" blazer vanes. Yes, I said 1". I've never seen a FOB in person, and will never use them myself. They look way too easy to break, and if they contact anything, they won't be as forgiving as a vane. I don't see how they'd clear any containment drop away. I'm just not a fan. Seen the vids, but I'm not buying in.

i wont be using them ever either, and half of the accuaracy videos look thrown and favored tward fobs. and thy can be pulled right off.

I've also never seen fobs win a single shoot.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

vanes/ blazers VS. fobs

Postby honkeraddic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Fobs are awesome i used them last season. They fly excellent
honkeraddic
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:24 am

any more info? pics? etc.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 am

I shoot a whisker biscuit and can not shoot fobs. Always thought of them as a gimmick myself.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm

whaknstak wrote:I shoot a whisker biscuit and can not shoot fobs. Always thought of them as a gimmick myself.

I shot a whisker biscuit on my old bow...... I'm never going back to one!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:16 pm

To each his own. I want my arrow set when nock it. No falling out or clanking around. I lose some speed, but my main focus is retention. Don't have any problems. What rest do you use?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

whaknstak wrote:To each his own. I want my arrow set when nock it. No falling out or clanking around. I lose some speed, but my main focus is retention. Don't have any problems. What rest do you use?

QAD drop away. arrow doesnt fall out even if i turn my bow upside down and it produces much better groups than my whisker biscuit did.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104191380

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Just-Hunt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

No problem with FOB's here. I love them. Yes, I do staff for them but wouldn't if I didn't truly believe in their product. Here is a quick clip of me shooting a FOB for a tv show I do hunting tips for. They are great. I shoot out to 60 yards without issues and experience less wind drift than other guys I shoot with. Some are not huge fans because the FOB pops off on pass-through's but I like them. it marks where I hit. The downside is also that you cannot use most lighted nocks. PO Nocks work well and homemade lights work well, just don't glue the bobber light to the inside of the nock. If I use the lights, when a FOB pops off, the bobber light stays in the back of the arrow shaft.

I do see some FOB haters on here, which is fine if you've shot them. If you haven't then yo may be missing something. Yes, you can break them but at the same time I get blank shafts (cheaper) and never have to re-fletch arrows. I've had the same tube of fobs ($20 - I think) for about 2 years now - much cheaper than vanes, especially if you're paying someone else to do them for you.

Here's the link to the vid. The 2nd link is to another video - the first Bowtech Invasion CPX setup to shoot FOB's on video. I use a Ripcord Code Red - It's the best rest I've used to date - been using one for years - my arrow never falls off either. Whisker Biscuits are louder, wear out, and slow your arrow down.

My Bowtech Insanity CPX will be here soon. with my short draw (27") at 70 lbs. and losing an inch on the brace height (6"), I don't know if I'll get to continue shooting FOB's through that bow but I hope so.

I didn't intend this to be my first post but saw this and had to post.

Good to be here.

Kev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YR-our-rZU
Best,

Kevin Reese
2011 POMA/Mossy Oak Pinnacle Award Winner - Best Newspaper/Web Article
2011 POMA/Mossy Oak Outstanding Achievement Award - Best Newspaper/Web Article
Just-Hunt
Newb

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm

just refletched my Carbon Express Rebel hunters with Fusion 2.1in vanes with a right helical fletch and they are they best flying arrow vane I have ever shot. they fly much more true out of my bow.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby MaineHunter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 pm

whaknstak wrote:To each his own. I want my arrow set when nock it. No falling out or clanking around. I lose some speed, but my main focus is retention. Don't have any problems. What rest do you use?

I thought the same thing as you up until last summer.. I also switched to a drop away (AAE ProDrop) and i will never go back to a biscuit. The arrow cant fall off, my bow shoots much better now i wish i changed awhile ago!!

This is the first time i have seen the FOB's, interesting for sure, very doubtful that ill switch from the blazers..
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby monjorrow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I switched to fobs last year...and I LOVE them. No messed up fletchings and if one breaks in the woods, just pop another one on. Oh and no loss in accuracy either.
monjorrow
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:24 pm

the fobs hold up in the wind a bit better than 2 inch vanes
i shot em last year and killed a doe with em and its pretty sweet how the fob pops off on pass throughs
i just quit shooting em during the indoor league and 3d shoots because shooting multiple arrows and didnt wanna break any fobs
but i do recomend them for hunting
and they do stabalize heavy arrows good too
the deer i shot with fobs was with a full size uncut 31 inch easton carbon at 30 yds and 1-2 mph wind and it flew straight as could be
i like em and might go back to em next year
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Return to Archery