scent-lok

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

scent-lok

Postby side-slippin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:29 am

im new to bow hunting this year, and had have a question about controlling my scent. i was just wondering if anyone has any of the scent-lok base layers. wondering if they are warm and windproof. i prefer real-tree camo patterns and was wondering if you used the scent-lok base layers under your camo if that would be good enough.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:46 am

Hopefully you take a sent lok bath first before to put close on cuz your really just wastin your money buyin the close as without the wind in your favor your still going to have sent leave your body but if you take a bath and i mean use the hair products, body soap, deoterant (ms) and gum, you can increase you chances of gettin him in bow range a hell of alot better than if you just put close on. I take a bath and put underarmour on the a camo shirt and camo pants on to drive out there then when i get out of the truck I put on my sent lok clothing. But keep in mind that you can save a lot of money if you just do some really good scoutin and pay close attention to the wind direction, but if you like to hunt deep in the woods where the wind can swirl then I would suggest in investing in some good stuff, just remember that you have to sent lok everything not just your body. Boots, hats, gloves, bow, arrows, stand, calls, bags, etc.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:35 am

what do you mean by scent-lok everything? do you spray everything down with scent killer? or what? not sure i completely understand.
"Augustus...
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Control Your Scent

Postby VtMike » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:16 am

Ever thing that goes with you on the hunt needs to have some sort of scent control. I have a huge rubber maid bin that I keep all of my hunting gear in. I have some spruce bows in the bottom, you could use cover scent or what ever you like. I throw the bin in the back of the truck, and when I get to where I am hunting I get dressed there. Keep in mind that scent control is important, but don't forget you can not eliminate all your scent. WATCH THE WIND!
If it looks like it bites..........Don't Pet it!!!
VtMike
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:28 pm

I spray everything down with carbon blast stuff, don't put this directally on your skin cuz it will stain you but shake the bottle real well and spray everything. They also make sent-lok bags but a rubbermaid will work to just depends on how serious you want to get. But once again the wind is your friend get some way of finding out the wind direction, like mist spray, feathers whatever cuz when you get into the woods the wind will swirl and could ruin your day. Me personally i won't use everything if I now my wind direction to help save money, but i usally will bath correctly. There is a sent-lok kit from everything to soap, to a towel to use. I do recommend this stuff cuz I know that it works but I have also killed deer without doing anything sent wise coming right into the woods from work, so each to there own.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:01 pm

LAredneck wrote: but I have also killed deer without doing anything sent wise coming right into the woods from work, so each to there own.

I keep my clothes in the house, in a closet with scent wafers. Spray down with scent a way and take off. I hunt from the ground and I have killed deer. But I dont hunt for big monster deer either.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:56 am

hey LA is there a place on the web to buy that kit you were talkin about?
"Augustus...
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 am

I used the base layer the last two years. I like the base layer but it is actually not very wind proof at all. It's very breathable. I actually used it on warm days as a top when walking in to stands to keep cooler. Then I would put on my scent lok camo top or med. jacket depending on the weather. I got it primarily to use under my heavy stuff for late season so I could keep scent out of my heavy bib's and coat. My heavier layers are not scent-lok so I use the base layers for those items.

I have the non-camo base layers and I don't know about the camo stuff but the non-camo stuff snags and pulls real easy so you need to keep it covered or stay out of the heavy cover with it.

I use all methods to reduce sent. I wash, keep all hunting items in scent lok bags and then in plastic bins. I also use scent away on miss. equipment items and rubber boots. Much of my heavier layers are non-scent lok so I wash them in scent away soap and keep them in the scent lok bags. Have a set of lightweight and medium weight scent lok camo.

I can tell you that I have shot many deer down wind that never knew I was there. Last year I walked in and was warm so I opened my jacket to cool off. I had only been on stand about 5-minutes and it was early. A deer stood up not far from where I walked in and was down wind before I noticed it. About the time I saw the deer it was too late. She had picked up my scent and bolted off. I cooled off, zipped up and about a hour later I had a different deer walk the same trail as the first. It spent some time feeding and never noticed me. The stuff work when you putt together a good scent control program.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Save your money and just stay down wind. The old timers killed plenty of deer with out scent-loc. Learn to read the wind. I kill just as many deer and elk as anybody else, and I smoke sometimes and don't waer no spendy carbon suit.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:56 pm

slippin sent you a PM :thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:03 pm

got it, thanx
"Augustus...
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:41 pm

the sent lock stuff does not work out here in montana because if you think about it walking up 10 or so miles aday in the mountains is going to make any person stink like poo so just keep the wind in your face
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:21 pm

I agree that the wind in your face is the best and least costly option. I have been bow hunting for 35 years and I am one on the old timers as far as equipment. I killed my first deer with a long bow and then got fancy and got a recurve. I didn’t hunt form a raised platform for half my hunting years and I have killed my fair share of deer without all the high tech stuff, but that was years ago and things have changed. For those of us who live and hunt in what have become highly populated areas with small pieces of ground to hunt need all the advantage of scent control we can get. I hunt areas mostly less than 80-acres in size with usually more than 20 hunters per sq. mile. We can't always hunt down wind when down wind is off the property you can hunt or when you have to enter your property from up wind because that's the only way you can get there. Then there is the whole thing about hunting small areas with terrain features that cause constant shift in wind or air current directions.

Another serious consideration for scent control is for repetative hunting small areas. If you use no scent control you will leave scent on everyting you contact. If it is on a small property you will load the area up with scent and deer or other game will start avoiding you in a very short time. This is not a big consideration in wide open area where you are not hunting the same area every day.

If someone thinks it doesn’t work I question if they have ever tried it. Most of the top hunters use it because it works and even if a deer can smell you because you stink at least they can’t smell you from as many miles away. It really stinks when a tropy walks down wind and spooks because he smelled you or a doe blows and runs all the deer out of your area or off your propertly.

The whole idea behind the base layer system is to prevent and kill bacterial growth that causes the smell in the first place so if you are using a base layer and scent lock or other scent eliminating products along with other scent control you should be able to go many days in the field and keep reasonably scent proof. Take some baby wipes along and clean up a little and give your hunting partner a break and your scent control will work on long hunts.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:23 am

scent lok is no cover up for bad wind direction and hygene. U still have to be a scent freak with taking showers and storing ur gear and spraying down with scent killer. In cold weather i wear 3 layers of scent lok call me nuts but i do. im a scent freak when it comes to deer hunting. I get laughed at cause i dont even like to get touched in my hunting cloths. But wait whos the one that killed a 140 class buck with a bow with the wind blowing right to it. O wait that was me. booooyaa ladies, u know who u are.
WIgunner30
hunter

Return to Archery